New Mezco Figure

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
SprangFan

Re: New Mezco Figure

Post by SprangFan »

I get the "big head" approach when a figure's done in "caricature" mode (I love the Funko bobblehead), but this one introduces a "realism" that suggests dwarfism, not caricature. It doesn't help that I think the facial likeness is "off" as well. I don't need a figure of "Batman starring Billy Barty."

There's a feeling of "real yet not real" involved in any toy figure. Sometimes it makes a baby doll "adorable" and other times "terrifying." I don't fully understand it but I've felt it. And this one is definitely in " creepy" territory for me. Your mileage may vary, obviously.

Glad to see the '66 property is still going strong, anyway. Looking forward to whatever's next.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

SprangFan,

Once again you read my mind. I was about to point out the caricature-like quality but you beat me to it. I also find that Adam's expression is kind of goofy like someone is holding out a big slice of chocolate cake or something that he can't wait to devour. I don't find the expression matches the way he played the character. This definitely is sliding into MAD magazine territory. For my money, I'm tired of the over-sized head figures so I will be passing on this one which is really too bad as the detail is great.

In any event, for those who do enjoy this kind of collectable I'm glad you have something to shoot for and I also agree it's great that '66 Batman is still noteworthy in the collectors realm.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
seanrt

Post by seanrt »

I think the below is the Mezco line to watch. They are apparently doing retro style figures of Hanna-Barbera characters. The prototypes shown are Birdman and one of the Scooby villains. Apparently more to be revealed at ToyFair. This makes me happy.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/mezc ... yfair2019/
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

seanrt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 am I think the below is the Mezco line to watch. They are apparently doing retro style figures of Hanna-Barbera characters. The prototypes shown are Birdman and one of the Scooby villains. Apparently more to be revealed at ToyFair. This makes me happy.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/mezc ... yfair2019/
Yeah, now see.....if they'd do 66 Batman characters this way, I'd be all over it! I would not hold my breath for them though. I think there may be a manufacturing clause that states if the Batman character is done in caricature, or in some other way off a bit, you don't pay as high of royalty fees, but if the characters are done as realistic there's a giant fee. Just a guess.
Music. BAT! Music.
svl

Post by svl »

"Batman starring Billy Barty".... I would have loved to see that. Pair him with Ted Cassidy as Robin and it would have been winner winner chicken dinner!
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

It will have a Bat Shield that may also fit Captain Action and the Hot Toys Adam West.

Also McFarlane Toys will make Multiverse figures based on tv shows. So 1966 Batman is a good possibility since Todd is a fan.
danbar

Post by danbar »

I think it looks fantastic. He comes with an alternate head/expression, multiple sets of hands, batarang, bat-radio and batshield. Here is a link to a page with some additional photos:

https://batman-news.com/2019/02/16/mezco-toy-fair-2019/

And most interesting.... according to batman-news.com:

"If we’re seeing any trend at Toy Fair 2019 in regards to Batman, it’s a lot of acknowledgment for the 1966 TV incarnation of Batman. From the Batmobile to Batman himself, it seems as though it’s everywhere we go on the show floor. "

Has anyone seen any of the other items they are referring to?
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

While I was reading that article I couldn't help but notice that there will be a One:12 Collective '89 batman!!! I know it may be treason on this board but the 1989 movie is probably my favorite of all the film appearances!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

I hope it won´t cost hundreds of bucks, I´m getting tired of seeing toys treated as pieces for billionaires. I understand some of your opinions about the big-headed figures, but I think Bats 66 nature works fine with stylized collectibles.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Add me to the list of people not digging it. However, it’s not because of the facial likeness (which is fine), it’s because I’m not a fan of any of that big-head style of figures. Maybe it’s just generational, but I grew up with regular action figures that were normal proportioned ; G.I. Joe, Big Jim, Super Friends, Evel Kneivel, etc.

These days I have very very few. Batman (x2), Robin, and Battle Cat. That said, that may very well change if this line becomes a production series. I’m digging the idea of true-to-source Scooby Doo figures. Also, if it’s Mezco and not the blog, they get bonus points for using the original logo in this announcement pic.

“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

This figure makes me sigh. The possibilities for this to be a detailed, "normal" figure is so unbelievable. Completely depressing to me.
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Okay, I'm pretty slow on the uptake, because I just realized that's actually TWO figures. One is hard plastic with sculpted muscles, etc. and the other has a cloth costume with chubby arms and legs like a baby doll.

Two concepts for an as-yet-undecided product, or two different offerings?

Not that I'd want either one...
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

TP-6597 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 am Add me to the list of people not digging it. However, it’s not because of the facial likeness (which is fine), it’s because I’m not a fan of any of that big-head style of figures. Maybe it’s just generational, but I grew up with regular action figures that were normal proportioned ; G.I. Joe, Big Jim, Super Friends, Evel Kneivel, etc.

These days I have very very few. Batman (x2), Robin, and Battle Cat. That said, that may very well change if this line becomes a production series. I’m digging the idea of true-to-source Scooby Doo figures. Also, if it’s Mezco and not the blog, they get bonus points for using the original logo in this announcement pic.

They're doing a version of Elias Kingston from the original 1969 Scooby Doo's 'What the Hex is Going On?" ZOINKS!!! :o My interest is up.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:21 pm While I was reading that article I couldn't help but notice that there will be a One:12 Collective '89 batman!!! I know it may be treason on this board but the 1989 movie is probably my favorite of all the film appearances!
The Batphone, I don't see any treason. The Michael Keaton Batman is my 2nd favorite right behind Adam West who is my all-time top Batman.