Re: green hornet mask

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

If this is not against the rules, here's a link to one you can purchase:

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/m ... -6447.html
Beneath Wayne Manor
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I think you need to be a little more specific. What do you know how to use? You can make it from EVA foam, warbla, urethane resin from a mold, leather formed and painted green, or any number of other ways. I saw one made from one of those cheap plastic masks you can buy at a craft store and it looked pretty good. And WHICH mask do you want to make? Van Williams wore at least three different types.

I recommend that you check Etsy where there are several for sale made by individuals (as opposed to mass market) and see how they made their version. You might be able to find a pattern online that would need to be formed and hardened enough so it will fit your face. The later masks used on the show were fit to the actor's faces so they were more comfortable and didn't obstruct their vision.

People on these forums are very helpful, but you'll get better advice if you ask more specific questions.
batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Ok thank you very much for your help i can use any material to make it and i would to make van williams better fitting mask thank you ryan
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Here's a really good reference for the masks: http://apennyworth.batcave.net/greenhornet/ghmasks.html
batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Thank you very much drew very helpfull
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Originals were made out of fiberglass, btw.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Not the full costume, but here's a leather mask I made.
Attachments
PSX_20190806_124054.jpg
PSX_20190806_124054.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 29304 times
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Hey Turned out Great.nice job. Coat looks good too.
bet Van would have liked it too, I'm sure it's much more comfortable than the fiberglass one.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks. Definitely more comfortable than the urethane one I have.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

DrewMasie wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:44 pm Not the full costume, but here's a leather mask I made.
That leather mask turned out great! I'd definitely be more inclined to go down the leather route if I was going to be wearing the mask for a full day at a convention.

Any chance we can see some more photos Drew?

Although I never got around to finishing my GH costume, that was subconsciously maybe in part to do with how uncomfortable I found the resin mask I own.
Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 12.04.41.jpg
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks Ben. I plan to do more photos, but I got a lead on a costumer that's working on a more "authentic" (hopefully) overcoat for me. I have several now but none that I'm really happy with. If, however, I want to dress like a gangster in 30 degree weather I'm all set.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

DrewMasie wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 am Thanks Ben. I plan to do more photos, but I got a lead on a costumer that's working on a more "authentic" (hopefully) overcoat for me. I have several now but none that I'm really happy with. If, however, I want to dress like a gangster in 30 degree weather I'm all set.
Haha, gotta keep toasty whilst fighting crime...

Looking forward to your updates on this. Fingers crossed your summer-friendly overcoat lead pans out!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Here's another photo with a different hat and a black coat. It's a Saks Fifth Avenue I purchased on eBay. Note the velvet collar. It's the correct style, but weighs a ton. Doesn't necessarily scream "Green Hornet", but I like the hat even though it's not the right shade of green.
Attachments
GH Photo 2.jpg
GH Photo 2.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 29172 times
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Here's another photo, this time with the CY Productions hat and mask. Mask is made of urethane. hat was purchased through CY Productions but was made by Law Dog Hat Company in Billings, Montana. (I suggest you order direct from the hat maker if you want one). Brim is a little wide in my opinion but this is the "official reproduction".
Attachments
PSX_20190810_164611.jpg
PSX_20190810_164611.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 29100 times