Batman 1989 on the Big Screen!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Frenchy1939

Batman 1989 on the Big Screen!

Post by Frenchy1939 »

My wife and I just saw Batman 1989 at the movie theater! Wow...It really is a different experience on the big screen. 30 years ago, she and I saw it when it first came out. That movie is responsible for the whole wave of batmania in ‘89. It brought the TV show back to the TV set and the serials to WalMart on VHS! I remember that summer well. Batman T shirts, bumper stickers, hats... that first movie made Batman look cool, too. It was a blast!

vintagematt

Re: Batman 1989 on the Big Screen!

Post by vintagematt »

I saw this at my local theater as well! Wasn’t around in ‘89 so this was my first time seeing it on the big screen! AND BOY WAS IT A BLAST! Such a great experience! The 4K restoration was less than I wanted, but still good. It’s what you expect from a movie this old! It was a truly great experience and I encourage anyone who gets the chance to see this on the big screen!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
rajung

Post by rajung »

Come on guys, don't make those of us that seen the 66 version at the theaters when it was released feel any older :cry:
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

It was awesome!
I also saw BATMAN RETURNS this evening on the big screen.
It was incredible to see it that size again.
Both movies Bruce wears an ascot (shirt & sweater, shirt & jacket) -possible nod to the series?
Next week is FOREVER, and & ROBIN and we are definitely going.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Always a pleasure to see these films again on the big screen, despite Batman ‘89 getting a new sound mix that changed most of the sound effects. I do agree that the Batman ‘66 feature film needs a rerelease soon.
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Kamdan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm Always a pleasure to see these films again on the big screen, despite Batman ‘89 getting a new sound mix that changed most of the sound effects. I do agree that the Batman ‘66 feature film needs a rerelease soon.
Batman ‘89 had a new sound mix? I noticed the gunfire was much improved, that’s it. I’ve been thinking about the movie all week.

Parents brought their kids and it’s not really a kid movie.

I did get to see Batman 1966 in theaters. They must’ve re-released it around 1974 - 1977. ...somewhere in there I saw it. Yes, I wish they’d bring that back too.

The old movies are the best (for me).
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Frenchy1939 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm
Kamdan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm Always a pleasure to see these films again on the big screen, despite Batman ‘89 getting a new sound mix that changed most of the sound effects. I do agree that the Batman ‘66 feature film needs a rerelease soon.
Batman ‘89 had a new sound mix? I noticed the gunfire was much improved, that’s it. I’ve been thinking about the movie all week.

I did get to see Batman 1966 in theaters. They must’ve re-released it around 1974 - 1977. ...somewhere in there I saw it. Yes, I wish they’d bring that back too.

The old movies are the best (for me).
I didn’t notice the new sound mix either, but I guess the whole time I was in the shoes of a little kid in awe and wasn’t really thinking about that...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

I wasn’t a fan of the new sound mix. Sure the original mix used the sound of Dirty Harry’s Magnum many times, along with some other stock noises, but that’s all part of the charm of the film. I didn’t think we needed the new addition of the Batwing’s engines shutting down after it crashed. It sounded like a vacuum being turned off. Imagine if they changed the noises on the TV show and did things like getting rid of the tire squeals on the dirt road. It’s best to just leave things the way they were instead of trying to improve them for modern times. Batman Returns’ sound mix was thankfully unaltered. It correctly enhanced what was already there.

Yeah, the kid with his dad that was sitting in front of me seemed pretty vocal about his boredom during the scenes without The Joker or Batman. I apparently first saw the movie when I was six months old and didn’t make a noise throughout it. Every kid reacts to things differently. If anything they’ll be more bored with this one since it’s not wall to wall action like a modern superhero movie.
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Kamdan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 am

I wasn’t a fan of the new sound mix. Sure the original mix used the sound of Dirty Harry’s Magnum many times, along with some other stock noises, but that’s all part of the charm of the film. I didn’t think we needed the new addition of the Batwing’s engines shutting down after it crashed. It sounded like a vacuum being turned off. Imagine if they changed the noises on the TV show and did things like getting rid of the tire squeals on the dirt road. It’s best to just leave things the way they were instead of trying to improve them for modern times. Batman Returns’ sound mix was thankfully unaltered. It correctly enhanced what was already there.

Yeah, the kid with his dad that was sitting in front of me seemed pretty vocal about his boredom during the scenes without The Joker or Batman. I apparently first saw the movie when I was six months old and didn’t make a noise throughout it. Every kid reacts to things differently. If anything they’ll be more bored with this one since it’s not wall to wall action like a modern superhero movie.
Yeah, compare ‘89 to the new Avengers movie....lol. Any kid nowadays watching an old flick would be bored. The new movies have become like Tom and jerry cartoons and I can’t get into it.

I agree with leaving classic films alone. I can’t stand the new added CGI scenes in the 1977 Star Wars movie. Why do that!?!?

Oh, speaking of classics on the big screen.....Image

My wife and I will be there in Texarkana and later will meet Charles B. Pierce’s daughter, who restored the movie!