TO THE BATPOLES podcast #107: Archie Meets Batman, We Meet a Listener

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #107: Archie Meets Batman, We Meet a Listener

Post by bat-rss »

TO THE BATPOLES: We discuss "Archie meets Batman '66", and talk with listener Chris Cavanaugh about his bat-fandom story!
http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/107-arc ... a-listener
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #107: Archie Meets Batman, We Meet a Listener

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I wonder what the thinking is behind the '66 Batman crossovers. Clearly one made perfect sense (you can guess which one I'm referring to), but the others remind me of the kind of ideas children throw around, where they have characters having no natural connection to each other (in origin, tone, or anything else) for "just because" reasons that fail to stand up to even one "why" question.

Archie in any form--even the 1960's--is so fundamentally different than anything from the Dozier series, that it works in MAD or Cracked satires where comic characters from books and strips just so happened to be loitering around in a background, with the gag being that they are out of their element, or doing something strange, like the samples from MAD magazine's satire of The Incredible Hulk TV series as published in MAD #204 from January of 1979--

Yeah, seeing Robin fed like a bird, the Batmobile turned on its side by the Hulk, and the Penguin's portrait on a wall (among other things) is weird and funny, but that's where such a "cross pollination" works best, not in a "straight" adventure story. From the way you guys described Archie meets Batman, there was nothing special about it. Nothing so creatively satisfying that anyone would ever say, "Why didn't someone think of this years ago?!?"

What's next? [Batman '66 meets Holmes and Yoyo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJd7j-Rhtg

..meets Electra Woman and Dyna Girl?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqB36FsglEE

Well, the Krofft show was heavily inspired by the Dozier series, so if a writer was in a season three frame of mind, it might work.

Oh, boy.
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

Judging by the lack of comments, it's obvious very few people on this board read this crossover. On the whole, I've been disappointed in the '66 comics series because for the most part, they play it safe. They take few chances and make it like comfort food. As Paul and Tim noted, Siren was given little to do other than be a plot point. I mean, she's the only 'metahuman' from '66 and they can do nothing with her? Wasted opportunity.

And SPOILERS

It felt like a Charles Hoffman script. So it takes until part 6 for Archie, Betty and Jughead to remember they have superhero alter egos. I guess that's because they needed to wrap up the story. And the writer totally bends canon to fit his script. (Although I liked the fact the heroes knew BG's identity and vice versa.)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 am Judging by the lack of comments, it's obvious very few people on this board read this crossover. On the whole, I've been disappointed in the '66 comics series because for the most part, they play it safe. They take few chances and make it like comfort food. As Paul and Tim noted, Siren was given little to do other than be a plot point. I mean, she's the only 'metahuman' from '66 and they can do nothing with her? Wasted opportunity.
Hard to argue with you there.

And SPOILERS
High C wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 am It felt like a Charles Hoffman script. So it takes until part 6 for Archie, Betty and Jughead to remember they have superhero alter egos. I guess that's because they needed to wrap up the story. And the writer totally bends canon to fit his script. (Although I liked the fact the heroes knew BG's identity and vice versa.)
I'd like to think that if there HAD been a 4th season -- on whatever network -- they might have allowed the Duo (or just Batman, if they had indeed sent Robin off to college) and Batgirl knowing each other's secret identities. That whole conceit was getting tiresome -- and you're telling me the "World's Greatest Detective" couldn't figure out who Batgirl was, without even trying? Sure, respect her secret all you want, but one day it would hit him: "Oh! Babs is Batgirl!"

(Gordon and O'Hara weren't smart enough to figure out who Batman was. If they had been, they'd have been better cops and wouldn't have *needed* the Duo!)
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

High C wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 am Judging by the lack of comments, it's obvious very few people on this board read this crossover.
Or only noticed this thread now.
On the whole, I've been disappointed in the '66 comics series because for the most part, they play it safe. They take few chances and make it like comfort food.
But that is the idea of a licensed tie-in. To stay recognisably in the realms of the parent series.

I did enjoy this crossover. I was never much of an Archie reader, knowing it many from the TV cartoon series of the 70s, a 1990 telemovie and comic adaptation ("Archie: To Riverdale and Back Again"), and more recently as the live-action "Riverdale".

I loved the idea of a reunion of the United Underworld attempting a takeover of somewhere other than Gotham City, the addition of Siren (although yeah, she needed more to do), the gag with Veronica lending Barbara that swimsuit, and some of the cover art choices were really fun.

Swimsuit by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I think where the story fell down was the overpowering of the minds of all the adults. The villains needed to be more villainous and have a better plan for world domination, one town at a time?
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:37 pm I wonder what the thinking is behind the '66 Batman crossovers...?
To double the possible audience.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
High C

Post by High C »

Therin of Andor wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 pm
High C wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 am On the whole, I've been disappointed in the '66 comics series because for the most part, they play it safe. They take few chances and make it like comfort food.
But that is the idea of a licensed tie-in. To stay recognisably in the realms of the parent series.
Maybe so, but the animated '66 films took some chances. I'm not saying they all worked, but they tried things. I'd trade Easter eggs and in-jokes for better plots and stories, myself.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

I did like the Green Hornet crossover, wish they would have used a GH tv villain instead of Gumm again, but they did a good job with him. The WW one was ok till it went off the rails with the Joker/Alfred plot point. I didn't get the Avengers one or the Legion yet. Man from UNCLE was pretty poorly done
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Lars Limpet

Post by Lars Limpet »

I’ll send you $500 via Patreon and donate an additional $500 to a children’s charity of your choice if you promise to never read another High C comment, email, or thought on your podcast again. I’m not kidding. I’ll even splash the cash in advance. I can’t abide the guy.
High C

Post by High C »

Lars Limpet wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 am I’ll send you $500 via Patreon and donate an additional $500 to a children’s charity of your choice if you promise to never read another High C comment, email, or thought on your podcast again. I’m not kidding. I’ll even splash the cash in advance. I can’t abide the guy.
Apparently this post already has been reported, so I can't report it myself. I'd just like to say it's really hurtful to be on the receiving end of an unprovoked attack.

epaddon

Post by epaddon »

To which I can only concur. That post is out of line and despicable and you Mr. "Limpet" should be ashamed of yourself.
Lars Limpet

Post by Lars Limpet »

High C wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm
Lars Limpet wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 am I’ll send you $500 via Patreon and donate an additional $500 to a children’s charity of your choice if you promise to never read another High C comment, email, or thought on your podcast again. I’m not kidding. I’ll even splash the cash in advance. I can’t abide the guy.
Apparently this post already has been reported, so I can't report it myself. I'd just like to say it's really hurtful to be on the receiving end of an unprovoked attack.
I was expressing my opinion. God knows there’s no shortage of yours littering up the board...
High C

Post by High C »

Lars Limpet wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:13 pm
High C wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm
I was expressing my opinion. God knows there’s no shortage of yours littering up the board...
Here's the difference. I express opinions about the actual show and the actual podcast this thread is supposed to be about. Your posts either are about Funkos, or ripping me, or ripping John Astin. Contribute something constructive about the actual show or the podcast before you criticize me. Everything not about Funkos that you've posted is mean-spirited and hurtful.

Oh, and I thought message boards were a place to express opinions, as long as they don't insult others. Silly me.

BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C & epaddon - complete agreement. Over a month ago, another member pulled a similar, undeserved attack on me, and I believe that member was banned.
Beneath Wayne Manor
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I guess that it shows how nice this board usually is that I am always completely surprised whenever someone is insulted...I’m just glad it doesn’t happen that often, but when it does...it really annoys me! I for one always love hearing everyone’s opinion on the show, especially when it is intelligent, which High C’s certainly is!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Dealt with. We do not condone personal attacks like this on this board whatsoever. Rules 101 and part of the membership agreement.