hornets sting

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

batman1989

hornets sting

Post by batman1989 »

Hi does anybody know how to make a replica of green hornets sting ?? Thank you.
DrewMasie

Re: hornets sting

Post by DrewMasie »

I just made my first one, and I started with an extendable selfie-stick (available on Ebay for under $20) as the main body. It extends to about 42 inches. I removed the hardware and cut the front and back tips with a hacksaw. The handle I made from a part from a curling iron I found in a thrift store. The end cap is a rubber tip for a chair leg cut and painted gold.

The cylinder with the gem is a little too big, and the gems are not the right color or size. I may rework this or make another one with a more appropriate size if I can find (or make) the parts.

I'm not really satisfied with it, but it's my first try. I can't see spending $499 for the Factory Entertainment reproduction though. Too rich for me.
Sting Prop-sm.jpg
batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Awesome thank you very much for the help drew as allways :)
batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Also how did u get the thickness of that selfie stick ?? I live in uk and cant find one like that ??
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Ok thanj you.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

DrewMasie wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:47 am I just made my first one, and I started with an extendable selfie-stick (available on Ebay for under $20) as the main body. It extends to about 42 inches. I removed the hardware and cut the front and back tips with a hacksaw. The handle I made from a part from a curling iron I found in a thrift store. The end cap is a rubber tip for a chair leg cut and painted gold.

The cylinder with the gem is a little too big, and the gems are not the right color or size. I may rework this or make another one with a more appropriate size if I can find (or make) the parts.

I'm not really satisfied with it, but it's my first try. I can't see spending $499 for the Factory Entertainment reproduction though. Too rich for me.

Sting Prop-sm.jpg
Its still nice work, and you arrived at creative solutions for parts.

About Factory Entertainment...yes, that price is a bit too high.
Beneath Wayne Manor
batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Also agree with batwinged very pricey for what it is lol
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

I went ahead and bought one. Gotta tell you it is sweet. I have bought a lot of their props: James Bond, Universal Horror and the Hornet , Have not been disappointed at all. They do top quality work. I have the Aquaman Trident on pre-order right now and can't wait. Best of luck with your project.
_Steven
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Well, if I end up doing a Green Hornet cosplay, I would love to have a more realistic prop. I ordered a mask, hat, and green overcoat, which together cost about the same as the FE Sting.

I am working on version 2, so maybe I can get a little closer. If I had the know-how I would add some green LEDs that would light up when a button in the back is pushed. I may still try to do something like that just for fun.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Update: I made another version of the Sting prop using some 3-D printed parts and different gems for the collar. This is pretty close to the picture of the original prop that I was working from, although it doesn't match the Factory Entertainment replica. No lights or sound effects, but I think it came out pretty well.
Attachments
Sting Prop 2 800.png
Sting Prop 2 800.png
batman1989

Post by batman1989 »

Briliant very nice mate
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

That looks cool! Have you completed your costume too? Would love to see it!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Looks amazing!!!
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Thanks for the feedback. For comparison, here is the real thing.
Attachments
11535959_1m.jpg
11535959_1m.jpg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 15159 times