Where is Gotham City

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

clavierankh

Where is Gotham City

Post by clavierankh »

Based on the screen cap from He Meets His Match The Grisly Ghoul. If the Paris time is right Gotham is on the Eastern Seaboard.

If the Los Angeles time is right than Gotham City is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Batclocks.jpg
dell

Re: Where is Gotham City

Post by dell »

Well, it can't be 3:40 in Chicago and 5:40 in Los Angeles! Clearly, someone just slapped city names under a bunch of clocks and had no idea where these cities were.
dell
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

In the comics continuity at least, DC has stated that Gotham is in New Jersey.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Then where is New Gurensey?
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

epaddon wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm Then where is New Guernsey?
https://sexyarmpit.com/category/new-guernsey
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

In the earliest Batman appearances in Detective Comics he is in New York City, I've always assumed it just became Gotham City.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Except that in Part 2 of the Joker/Donna Loren episode when the power goes out, Joker says, "Gotham City must be having a blackout just like New York!" Also there are a couple episodes where the establishing stock footage of Gotham City isn't New York but Boston!
dell

Post by dell »

The Batmobile license plate reads:
2F-3567
Gotham 1966

License plates are issued by states, not cities. This implies that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham.
dell
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

dell wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am The Batmobile license plate reads:
2F-3567
Gotham 1966

License plates are issued by states, not cities. This implies that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham.
Dell, your unflappable logic astounds me sir.
Music. BAT! Music.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

dell wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am This implies that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham.
Despite owning a copy of the DC Atlas that puts Gotham in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware, I've always thought this as well: that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham (with its neighboring state being New Guernsey). Along these same lines, there's an episode of "Lois & Clark" ("Return of the Prankster") that places Metropolis in the fictional state of New Troy (it's visible on a map of the state (which is actually a map of lower Manhattan)).
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

That makes more sense than "Smallville" putting Metropolis in Kansas!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

epaddon wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 am Also there are a couple episodes where the establishing stock footage of Gotham City isn't New York but Boston!
There's another episode where the process footage behind the Batmobile is a neon-lit night shot of West Berlin!
Uh, yeah, I feel creepy about clicking on a site with that name :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

chrisbcritter wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 pm Uh, yeah, I feel creepy about clicking on a site with that name :lol:
I clicked so you didn't have to, and I'm happy to report it's all good. :) It's a New Jersey-oriented pop culture site. The name is a defiant co-opting of New Jersey's reputation as "armpit of the nation."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I guess one could say Gotham City is in the State of Mind - being that it's wherever the Bat fan pictures it to be. Having said that, besides originally being in New York City as Andy informed, everyone knows the name actually comes from a section of New York City thereby making the Gotham City - New York City connection again. More allusions come through the show whether it be NYC stock footage or even a map of Manhattan in Gordon's office. Then there's Mayor Linseed - the take of the real New York Mayor Lindsay, the Tavern on the Green-type restaurant Bruce Wayne takes Miss Kitka to in the film, and even locating the United World building itself in Gotham City! So many connections between the two you can't miss.

Still, when I was a schnick watching the show and reading the comics I, for some strange reason, pictured Gotham City being somewhere between New York and Philadelphia. Don't ask me why. I also pictured (and still do) Metropolis to be D.C.'s version of Chicago, Star City is Dallas, Central City is St. Louis, and Coast City is Los Angeles.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Kite Kid wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:15 pm
dell wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am This implies that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham.
Despite owning a copy of the DC Atlas that puts Gotham in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware, I've always thought this as well: that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham (with its neighboring state being New Guernsey). Along these same lines, there's an episode of "Lois & Clark" ("Return of the Prankster") that places Metropolis in the fictional state of New Troy (it's visible on a map of the state (which is actually a map of lower Manhattan)).
Kite Kid - Love the name, love the avatar! 8-)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"