Other Great 60s Shows...

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Other Great 60s Shows...

Post by AndyFish »

I don't think there is a better decade for great TV than the 1960s. I've been watching some great old shows while I work on my latest project.

Dare I say some of these shows I like better than Batman--?
Okay, I just said it.

Shows;
The Avengers (Steed and Mrs Peel)
Lost in Space
The Monkees
The Munsters
Star Trek
Twilight Zone
Thriller (Karloff)
Tarzan
Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke
Get Smart
Gilligan's Island
Beverly Hillbillies
Dragnet
Wild Wild West
Green Hornet
Jonny Quest

Any other fans?
epaddon

Re: Other Great 60s Shows...

Post by epaddon »

The Golden Age of TV for me begins in 1955 with the debut of shows like "Gunsmoke" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and represents part of a growing shift away from the live dramas of New York and more emergence of TV as a filmed storytelling medium. It's also when I start seeing more and more the familiar faces who would dominate the TV landscape as stars and guest stars for decades and still be familiar presences to as late as the early 80s which is when my interest in TV drops off.

60s-70s are the peak periods for me because those represents the shows I first experienced in prime time (mid to late 70s) combined with the vintage 60s shows that were repeat staples like "Batman" and allowed me to "connect" with the 60s era of TV as I was introduced to more shows.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

When I "re-discovered" the Batman show in my early teens, it very much became a gateway to shows of the same decade that I went on to have an affection for in their own right.

The Munsters
Time Tunnel
Lost In Space
The Twilight Zone
Land of the Giants
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

These are my other favorite '60s shows.

The Green Hornet
The Monkees
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Hogan's Heroes
Star Trek
Mission: Impossible
Bewitched

Notice how the first five have some kind of connection to the Batman '66 universe. The Green Hornet connection is obvious; the connection to the Avengers and U.N.C.L.E is through the comic book; and the other two are connected through cameos (Col. Klink on "Batman," the Penguin on "The Monkees").
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

BATMAN ,GILLIGAN, LOST IN SPACE,THE AVENGERS, WILD WILD WEST and SPACE GHOST
prime time was 7:30 to 11..there were so many series ..EVERY family member had their own show..I go back so far ..I remember wondering ..what are those new doors on the bottom of the seaview for?
and there is some we can't get back , Jonny Quest was a prime time series ..when they censored the episodes to show on Saturday mornings ..they lost most of the footage ..the DVDS were just the cut up versions (Dr. Quest used a gun in a lot of episodes ...in the censored version of the series ,it was only once)
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I love TV from the sixties! I can’t really put my finger on it, but something about the shows from that era just make me so happy!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I have the Time Tunnel, Invaders, and Land of the Giants on DVD, as well as others. Loads of fun to watch when either under the weather or home alone
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Space Ghost and the rest of the 60s HB superhero shows along with Filmation's DC suff, The Spider-Man cartoon
To the Bat-Elephant!!
dell

Post by dell »

I think Batman holds up a lot better than most of those shows. Yes, I am biased, but I really think it does.
dell
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

"Jonny Quest was a prime time series ..when they censored the episodes to show on Saturday mornings ..they lost most of the footage ..the DVDS were just the cut up versions (Dr. Quest used a gun in a lot of episodes ...in the censored version of the series ,it was only once)"

Rumor has it that WB is releasing the original uncut Jonny Quest on Blu Ray in June.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

AndyFish wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 am I don't think there is a better decade for great TV than the 1960s. I've been watching some great old shows while I work on my latest project.

Dare I say some of these shows I like better than Batman--?
Okay, I just said it.

Shows;
Lost in Space
The Monkees
The Munsters
Star Trek
Twilight Zone
Thriller (Karloff)
Tarzan
Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke
Get Smart
Gilligan's Island
Beverly Hillbillies
Dragnet
Wild Wild West
Green Hornet
Jonny Quest

Any other fans?
Andy, don’t forget I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Just off the top of my head, these are shows I remember regularly watching in the 1960s. Most were just me, two were a family watch.

Batman
The Munsters
Leave It To Beaver
Star Trek
Speed Racer
Then Came Bronson
Flipper
Gomer Pyle
The Carol Burnett Show
Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

I certainly remember and liked some of the others mentioned here, but they weren’t a definite sit-down watch.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Hogan’s Heroes is a great show and I never tire of watching it. My favorite (tied with the Caped Crusaders of course). Love it. Batman, The Monkees, Man From U.N.C.L.E., Star Trek, Get Smart, and so many others are just good TV. Best decade for television. Can’t talk about ‘60’s TV without mentioning The Flintstones. Prime time cartoon show. Also loved the Spider-Man cartoons, and of course The Beatles cartoons. Groovy.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

AndyFish wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:02 pm "Jonny Quest was a prime time series ..when they censored the episodes to show on Saturday mornings ..they lost most of the footage ..the DVDS were just the cut up versions (Dr. Quest used a gun in a lot of episodes ...in the censored version of the series ,it was only once)"

Rumor has it that WB is releasing the original uncut Jonny Quest on Blu Ray in June.
Andy
Coming in June, uncensored
https://www.wbshop.com/products/jonny-q ... fu9u4whe4q

Also on Amazon.com now. June 11 release
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
dell

Post by dell »

For those people that enjoy Hogan's Heroes I recommend a book by a German officer named Hans von Luck. The book is titled Panzer Commander. He recounts many things that seem like they were part of a Hogan's Heroes script. I will give you two examples.

The first one is where he tells of how he was in command of the recon unit that was at the end of the German lines in the North African desert. There was nothing but open desert past his unit. Opposite him was a British recon unit that was the end of the British line. These two enemy units unofficially made a deal that they would only fight from 8 to 5. If they encountered lost enemy units after 5 they would point them back to their own lines.

The other one was after the war he and thousands of other Germans were prisoners of war in Russia. He talks about 10 or so men being sent out of camp on a work detail with a single Russian guard. The guard would often lay down and take a nap. If the prisoners spotted a Russian officer coming out to inspect the work they would run over, wake up the guard and hand him his rifle.
dell