Other Great 60s Shows...

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Re: Other Great 60s Shows...

Post by John Mack »

Great topic Andy.

My list of shows would include:

Diver Dan
Clutch Cargo
Davy and Goliath
Stingray
The Thunderbirds
Jonny Quest
Speed Racer
Get Smart
The Andy Griffith Show
Mission:Impossible
Hawaii Five-O
Bonanza
Dean Martin Show
Jackie Gleason show
And Star Trek
Music. BAT! Music.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm I love TV from the sixties! I can’t really put my finger on it, but something about the shows from that era just make me so happy!
It may be because that's when so much creativity or fantasy erupted in show concepts. Yes, we had fairly standard crime dramas, family comedies and Westerns, but -- as all these lists are showing -- we also had an extraordinary number of unusual, far out and sometimes unique premises: witches, genies, Martians and ghouls living in suburbia; stranded castaways at sea and in space; a flying nun; a talking horse; a modern stone-age family; filthy rich hillbillies; Old West secret service agents; the IMF, the SIA, U.N.C.L.E., CONTROL and even one covert spy organization that operated out of a WWII German stalag; tunneling time travelers; twilight zones; outer limits; caped, cowled crimefighters (of course); and much, much more.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm I love TV from the sixties! I can’t really put my finger on it, but something about the shows from that era just make me so happy!
Try no political correctness. Fun and enjoyment actually were still allowed.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am
Exactly.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Let us not forget Bonanza and F Troop!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

greatlakes6 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:51 pm Let us not forget Bonanza and F Troop!
See my list, sans F Troop. I also didn't add Green Acres for the same reason. Those shows made me nervous as did Gilligan's island.
Music. BAT! Music.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Blue Meanie wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 pm
Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am
Exactly.
Probably why my favorite decade for TV was the 60s, even though I wasn't born until the 1970s

Batman (obviously) - Yes, I know Andy said "other" shows, but I'm not doing a list of great 60s shows and not mentioning it. :D

Man from U.N.C.L.E. - which I've been mentioning regularly in a couple of other threads. U.N.C.L.E. was good for the first, most of the second and the fourth season. The third season was a train wreck.

Beverly Hillbillies - The first two seasons are probably the funniest shows that have ever been on TV. Still good after that, just not as consistently brilliant. The last two seasons were horrible.

Green Acres - just weird, surreal and hilarious.

Star Trek

Twilight Zone

Andy Griffith Show- Black & White episodes only. Color shows are horrible.

Mr. Ed - This one will probably get a lot of grief, but Alan Young was a great comedic actor. Plus, Ed was such a crotchety trouble maker, always getting Wilbur into a fix.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

So many good shows already listed here. Others I can think of are the iconic Adam-12 (they're in my all-time top 3 shows along with Batman and Star Trek) and Mod Squad (R.I.P. Peggy), Combat, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Tennessee Tuxedo, Clyde Crashcup, Q.T. Hush - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQx4Mqp0Qc - for those who don't know or remember, Roger Ramjet, the King Kong show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSqYbqgyffM -, Kimba the White Lion, and Astro Boy. Have to say I wish there had been cartoons or live action of Major Matt Mason, G.I. Joe (I'm talking the real G.I. Joe line), and Johnny West. Wish I could add Gerry Anderson's U.F.O. but that was 1970. Still, it did have a heavy '60s leftover aura to it. I think the Banana Splits were mentioned, but the shorts they hosted like the amazing Huckleberry Finn, the Three Musketeers, the Adventures of Gulliver, the Arabian Knights, and my favorite, Danger Island - "UH OH, CHONGOOOOOO!", have to be mentioned as well. Petticoat Junction is another to list as I was in love with Lori Saunders who had 'skin so white like dishpan hands and eyes so black like frying pans!' (sorry Fred) ;)

By the way, I defy anyone to listen to the Banana Splits theme song and NOT have it ring through their heads the rest of the day! :P
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Danger Island, yes! Part of the Banana Splits Adventure hour! It may be interesting to point out that the Superman director, Richard Donner directed those episodes and that Jan Michael Vincent got his start on that series. And yes, Y.O. I am humming the Banana Splits theme as I write, not having heard it in years. Thanks for the ear worm! :lol:

If anyone can find out who did the great theme song for Danger Island, please post it here. No info on Google I can find.
Music. BAT! Music.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Presumably Hoyt Curtain who did most everything for Hanna-Barbera though that's not a given.

"Danger Island" also included Frank Aletter, who at the time was married to Lee Meriwether and had previously been in the series "It's About Time."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:54 pm Danger Island, yes! Part of the Banana Splits Adventure hour! It may be interesting to point out that the Superman director, Richard Donner directed those episodes and that Jan Michael Vincent got his start on that series. And yes, Y.O. I am humming the Banana Splits theme as I write, not having heard it in years. Thanks for the ear worm! :lol:

If anyone can find out who did the great theme song for Danger Island, please post it here. No info on Google I can find.
John Mack,

Looks like it was Ted Nichols along with David Mook and John Eskew. Nichols I know but are you familiar with the other two or their work?

https://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/47132-Danger-Island-1
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

There was something special about the sixties. Television was fun, and while it could be super silly, almost to the shows detriment (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, the latter seasons of Lost in Space, and of course, Batman). I do prefer those programs to what's it out now.

--jthree
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yellow Oval wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:52 pm
John Mack wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:54 pm Danger Island, yes! Part of the Banana Splits Adventure hour! It may be interesting to point out that the Superman director, Richard Donner directed those episodes and that Jan Michael Vincent got his start on that series. And yes, Y.O. I am humming the Banana Splits theme as I write, not having heard it in years. Thanks for the ear worm! :lol:

John Mack,

Looks like it was Ted Nichols along with David Mook and John Eskew. Nichols I know but are you familiar with the other two or their work?

https://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/47132-Danger-Island-1
Nope not familiar, but thanks for tracking that info down!
Music. BAT! Music.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Richard Donner directed four episodes of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. as well. His episodes are all from the first season and are among the series' best.
jjkandlak

Post by jjkandlak »

Hogans Heroes was my one my favorites
Attachments
Col Hogan.jpg