Twilight actor may be next screen Batman

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

Twilight actor may be next screen Batman

Post by gothosmansion »

Let's hope since this isn't a "done deal" it doesn't get to be one and this falls through. I hate to be "that guy" and, in most cases, think everyone should be given a chance...This time, I think I'm going to have to be "that guy."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robe ... 203125473/
Yellow Oval

Re: Twilight actor may be next screen Batman

Post by Yellow Oval »

Gothosmansion,

I think everybody here knows I am "that guy" when it comes to DC Comics and Warners nowadays. I gotta say this one really takes the cake. Why even bother paying for their current shows and movies when it seems their business decisions are free entertainment now? When I read the announcement a few minutes ago over in Variety I couldn't stop laughing. This is some of the most hysterical stuff I've read in a while! :lol:

I wonder what Julius Schwartz (legendary DC editor) and Jack Warner (famed studio head) would say if they could see what their companies turned into? :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
rajung

Post by rajung »

And then you wonder how Marvel cleans house and continuously stomps DC and Batman out.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

What I find odd is that on a 66 Batman board, this subject gets replies and a post about an Adam West tribute:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6991

Has none? :shock:
Music. BAT! Music.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

It seems that we’ve hit a point where actors are seeing that taking on the role of Batman is more trouble than its worth. There have been so many iterations of the character, namely the dark and serous approach, that’s there’s nothing new for them to contribute other than just being the next person to wear the suit. Thus they go with have a guy like Pattinson who’s desperate to shake off the image that made him a household name. I am frankly tired of the dark and serious approach to the character. It would be fun to see them try something different, but it’s hard for Warners to break formula for their apparent number one franchise.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Kamden,

I agree. Batman has gone completely off the rails - comics, movies, you name it. As much as I enjoyed them, I have to say it all started with the Burton films as Tim Burton was allowed way too much leeway in changing the character to what HE WANTED. All the interviews back then showed a real narcissism with Burton constantly saying "I wanted him to be..." or "I thought that he should be more like..." It was all what he wanted and it's been like that ever since and getting worse - especially in the DC TV and screen properties. Marvel hasn't been as bad and it has worked out well for them - at least for their Avengers franchise. Some would argue not so much for Star Wars, but that's for another time in another galaxy far, far away.

John,

I suppose it's a bit of a tribute renaming the school after Adam, but it seems more like a dig at James Woods than anything else. Than again, what do I know? I haven't watched Family Guy since season 2 when they decided to go the vulgarity route instead of comedy. As an aside, my brother worked as an extra on a James Woods film and met him. Said he was a really great and funny guy, quite down to earth, and very, very smart and witty.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

So then Y.O. write that on thread...??

Thought it was a nice episode and good tribute to Adam throughout.....only slam to Woods was 10 seconds of Brian...

Great ending theme, anyway...discuss this on the thread....I give up!
Music. BAT! Music.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I can see him working out well. A good story, script, director, and design and we could have a much better version than we’ve had in decades.

This isn’t any different than the blowback when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman or when Daniel Craig was cast as 007. They haven’t even shot a single frame of film and people are already claiming “well, that’s the end of the franchise”. All of it based on a role he played 11 years ago. Now we have people hoping it fails before it even gets started. ??
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I don't want it to fail. I just have my doubts about him. Batman is my favorite fictional character, so I want to be able to enjoy any iteration of him.

I mentioned this on another board, but he may surprise me. The example I used there, and I'll use here, is the 70s Legend of Lizzie Borden movie. Being mostly familiar with Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched, I didn't expect her to be so eerie and unnerving. However, she was brilliant.

I hope Pattinson is great.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I don't care-- I haven't liked any of the rubber suit versions of Batman although I really dug Heath Ledger's Joker. Just because they make a Batman movie doesn't mean I have to watch it.

It's interesting when you look at the patterns; an actor is cast and the internet goes crazy, then the movie comes out and most of the people like the performance after all.

Now I saw TWILIGHT, quite by accident. A friend had told me it was about Vampires and I made it all the way up to when he stepped into the sunlight and he glittered, that was enough for me. I think this guy is an odd pick but I'm actually glad because I won't be tempted to drop my $32 at the box office and be disappointed. I'll just watch the Lew Wilson or Adam West Batman films.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Wait and see.

If anyone could stomach balding, short, unathletic Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman, then the rest of earth's male population deserves a chance with the role.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I agree with Andy about the rubber suits and Batwinged Hornet about the miscasting of Michael Keaton. When you get right down to it Hollyweird has never given us a definitive Batman since Adam. Everyone else has either been extremely over the top or completely off the rails. How many comics depicted him swinging through the streets of downtown Gotham? Did we ever see that on film? The closest we got was the closing shot of the '66 movie (I'm not including the series) with Batman and Robin descending down the side of the United World building. How many movies actually show him doing detective work? How many times did we see him doing rooftop chases? I've seen Inspector Dirty Harry Callahan doing more Batman-like action than Batman!

It remains to be seen how Matt Reeves presents this Batman, but along with the now-seemingly obligatory constant miscastings in film, the conventional wisdom states it will be another all-black rubber muscle suit Batman with goofy voice alteration, some ridiculous "war wagon/tank" as a Batmobile, and other regurgitations of Hollyweird's obsession with its narcissistic alterations. I haven't seen anything in a theater since Captain America - The Winter Soldier and don't see anything on the horizon with all the bad writing, bad acting, and that horrible obsession with exaggerrated color filters (see the Blade Runner sequel or as I call it - Blue and Orange World). Suffice to say I won't be paying for this either.

As an aside, in the last month or so both Justice League and Batman V Superman were on TV. I couldn't get past 5 minutes for either of them. They were absolutely god-awful and atrocious (my opinion only).
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:36 am I agree with Andy about the rubber suits and Batwinged Hornet about the miscasting of Michael Keaton. When you get right down to it Hollyweird has never given us a definitive Batman since Adam. Everyone else has either been extremely over the top or completely off the rails. How many comics depicted him swinging through the streets of downtown Gotham? Did we ever see that on film? The closest we got was the closing shot of the '66 movie (I'm not including the series) with Batman and Robin descending down the side of the United World building. How many movies actually show him doing detective work? How many times did we see him doing rooftop chases?
Remember in Batman (1989) when he discovered which products the joker toxins were in, and how did he achieve that, detective work!

I love Adam West, but I would have to be a fool to admit that he was the last good on screen Batman, many more great batmen followed him!

But I guess that’s just my opinion, as I grew up with Keaton’s Batman. I can totally see your point of view, since I’m assuming you grew up with Adam as the caped crusader, but I would have to respectfully disagree that he was the last great one, he was great, but certainly not the last!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 pm
Remember in Batman (1989) when he discovered which products the joker toxins were in, and how did he achieve that, detective work!

I love Adam West, but I would have to be a fool to admit that he was the last good on screen Batman, many more great batmen followed him!

But I guess that’s just my opinion, as I grew up with Keaton’s Batman. I can totally see your point of view, since I’m assuming you grew up with Adam as the caped crusader, but I would have to respectfully disagree that he was the last great one, he was great, but certainly not the last!
The Batphone,

I will concede there are token nods to the detective aspect - what you mentioned for the '89 film, Batman inspecting Scarecrow's storage apartment in the first Nolan film and taking some rounds out of the wall in the second, but they are too brief for me as the movies seemed more hip and anxious to get to the action and fireballs, as it were.

Yes, I did originally grow up with Adam West's version and he is the principal Batman for me, but I also like the '89 Batman despite Keaton being too short and it being the beginning of rubber suits. I found the two Keaton films kept with the Gothic aura of the comics and I have quite a bit of Keaton's Batman in my collection. After Keaton I hadn't been impressed with any of the Batman personas with the exception of Christian Bale having the Batman 'look' despite the bad costume (definitely not the voice) and George Clooney - despite the bad script, direction, and production, did make for me a convincing Bruce Wayne.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

All things considered, fan films have proven that there is better talent and understanding for hero films than Hollyweird offers. Some of you have seen these, some of you haven't. You decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3oN3EJcfwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7d3lIAkes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX3-6DIHaMs