Where to get a green Chesterfield coat

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

DrewMasie

Where to get a green Chesterfield coat

Post by DrewMasie »

Hi all. I've seen pictures of Scott in his Green Hornet gear, and his costume looks great. I'm trying to find a similar green Chesterfield coat, but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did find one in gray, but the one that Scott has is more what I want.

I've seen the one that CY Productions makes, and in my opinion it's not that close to the look from the TV show.

Any leads are appreciated. Thanks!
Scott Sebring as Green Hornet.jpg
SteveA

Re: Where to get a green Chesterfield coat

Post by SteveA »

I have to say I would be interested as well. Scott's costume does look great. He has some really nice ones, his Lone Ranger looks great but I have to say my favorite is his Zorro. Man, talk about dead-on and being a double.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

Out of curiosity, has anyone purchased the CY Productions Green Hornet coat? Attached is a picture of what he offers, but to my eyes the seams are a little puckered, and the overall quality isn't great, especially for what he's charging. On the other hand, finding a coat this style in the correct color has proven to be nearly impossible, and I've put considerable effort into finding one. (What I really need is a Williams Studio level version that would justify the cost).

Secondly, does the Green Hornet's coat really need to be green? I've seen pictures where his hat and coat are brown, black, grey, or some combination of grey coat and green hat and mask, so there doesn't seem to be a definitive outfit.

I've purchased a black covert coat, and a grey tweed one, both very nice, but very thick and heavy. I live in California and these are clearly meant for a colder climate. I'm afraid if I wear either to a Convention that I will wilt from the heat.

I've also ordered an olive green coat that may work, and purchased a made-to-measure wool coat that is very bright green (think Christmas green) somewhat similar to the one Scott wore for his outfit, but it doesn't have the hidden buttons, and doesn't look much like the one that Van Williams wore. It could be used as a Riddler coat since it's such a bright color.

Once the latest coat arrives, I plan to take some photos for comparison to share with the forum, so different combinations of coats, masks, and hats to show what I've found after attempting to source the different pieces. I can at least show what the CY Productions hat/mask looks like versus a less expensive off-the-shelf version for anyone that's interested, and maybe get some help deciding which combination looks best.
Attachments
GH Coat-CY1.png
GH Coat-CY1.png (602.74 KiB) Viewed 19901 times
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Please keep us updated on the coats you purchased with some photos and comparison.

My site hasn't been updated in a long time and I would like to edit and add more choices for places to obtain GH costume items. Thanks

http://apennyworth.batcave.net/greenhornetcostume.html
gerryd54

Post by gerryd54 »

An actual green chesterfield style coat is going to be hard to impossible to find. I bought one from Clint and I really like it and I'm fairly picky. The color and the material are really nice. I had it slightly altered by a local tailor. I purchased my hat from Barons in Burbank; expensive but worth it.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I got my hat from Barons as well. Excellent quality (also had them make my Lone Ranger Hat). My coat is actually a coat my wife and I found at a Burlington Co. and tried to alter it to resemble a Chesterfield coat. Getting a Chesterfield actually tailored would be the best way once you find a great green coat fabric which in itself is a major challenge. That would have been my next move. My suit is about 13 years old and I haven't been tempted to upgrade or put it on again in at least ten years although a few friends have stepped into the GH role for me on some outings.

CY offers a wonderful coat but keep in mind, you're paying for him to go get it tailored so there's a logical and fair mark up for him to do the leg work. He doesn't have theses thing on a rack waiting.

And thank you for the kind words as well. *blush*
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

DrewMasie wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:05 am Out of curiosity, has anyone purchased the CY Productions Green Hornet coat? Attached is a picture of what he offers, but to my eyes the seams are a little puckered, and the overall quality isn't great, especially for what he's charging. On the other hand, finding a coat this style in the correct color has proven to be nearly impossible, and I've put considerable effort into finding one. (What I really need is a Williams Studio level version that would justify the cost).
I really do feel that for the same ball park of what Clint is looking for (or quite possibly less) that you could get a jacket custom tailored in a fabric/color that you're happy with for your needs/climate.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I am happy to report that I found someone to make me a suitable Green Hornet coat and matching vest. It's not "screen accurate", but has the basic look and isn't made of heavy wool. The cost with some additional tailoring was about half what CY Productions charges.
Attachments
PSX_20190831_112625.jpg
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

Thanks for the info on this. I am working on my own Green Hornet costume and was thinking of making my own coat. I have been checking the second hand shops like Goodwill and Savers for something similar, but no luck, as of yet.
DrewMasie

Post by DrewMasie »

I took the thrift shop and ebay route too, but was not able to find anything I could use. The GH coat is more like a suit coat, so you'd probably need to go to somewhere that sells suit fabric if you plan to make your own. You won't find that type of material at a Joann's.

Still, if you're doing an interpretation of GH, then even a green trench coat could work. There are military surplus coats from various countries that are green, and not very expensive.

By the way, I posted some pictures of various coats in the Green Hornet Mask thread.