KHJ Promotion

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Kamdan

KHJ Promotion

Post by Kamdan »

For the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood soundtrack, Quentin Tarantino has managed to dig up an old promotion for KHJ “Boss” radio featuring Adam West and Burt Ward in character! Although it may be a little anachronistic, as the film is set after the TV was cancelled, what a find! Take a listen!

https://youtu.be/sIq5defrNdI
Jim Akin

Re: KHJ Promotion

Post by Jim Akin »

Awesome! Never heard of this, but I found a longer video that gives all the clues in the contest (as narrated by Batman and Robin), and shows some promotional imagery as well.

And here's the solution to the puzzle.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

Anyone else notice that the winner was Fred Jones?

He would visit the Batcave again in 1972 in "The Dynamic Scooby-Doo Affair" on "The New Scooby-Doo Movies." :lol: :lol: :lol:
kyle

Post by kyle »

Fascinating!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Timeline aside...I cannot tell you how pleased I am that this has come to light!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

That - is awesome!
Like a great many of us here, I’ve been on board since the show first aired. The 60s TV show was my introduction to the characters and started me on my lifelong fandom. As I grew up, I read and watched all the incarnations of Batman & Robin. I’m a fan now as much as ever and I still read the current comic books. Saw a nice nod to the TV show in one recently, but I’ll save that for later.

I’ve also watched all the films, only liked a couple, but I’m very much looking forward to Pattinson. My point, and I do have one, is that after 50+ years, just hearing Adam and Burt in character on this wonderful radio station find reaffirms what I’ve always known; they ARE Batman & Robin to me. That long contest audio felt instantly comfortable and right.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that while I still love the character and the idea of the character (in universe), my go-tos; daily coffee cup, Batmobile on my desk, T-shirts I wear regularly, and computer wallpaper are all 66 TV show. They’re Batman & Robin to me. I’d say it’s hard to explain, but on this board, I don’t think I have to. ;)

I’m going to try to get an MP3 of it and add it to my TV show soundtrack CD that I keep in my car. It’s fantastic!
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

And here's where Fred lived; the apartment building was built in 1965:
batphone contest winner.jpg
(Google Street View)

Has anyone ever asked Adam or Burt about how things went when they met Fred?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:35 am Awesome! Never heard of this, but I found a longer video that gives all the clues in the contest (as narrated by Batman and Robin), and shows some promotional imagery as well.

And here's the solution to the puzzle.
Thank you for posting the longer version as well. These are truly great.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

:cry: and
TP-6597 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:52 pm I’m going to try to get an MP3 of it and add it to my TV show soundtrack CD that I keep in my car. It’s fantastic!
How would you do that? Were you successful?
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:07 pm :cry: and
TP-6597 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:52 pm I’m going to try to get an MP3 of it and add it to my TV show soundtrack CD that I keep in my car. It’s fantastic!
There are dozens of free online YouTube to mp3 converters. I saved both the short and long versions.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Kamdan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:12 am For the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood soundtrack, Quentin Tarantino has managed to dig up an old promotion for KHJ “Boss” radio featuring Adam West and Burt Ward in character!
And it's on the movie soundtrack CD and LP!

Soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

BatMite wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:19 pm
Bookworm wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:07 pm :cry: and
There are dozens of free online YouTube to mp3 converters. I saved both the short and long versions.
Which one did you use? I’m not a techie and I’m leery of down something I know nothing about. The soundtrack cut is just the initial advertisement. Not the contest clues. Awesome nonetheless
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

I use Any Video Converter. It comes highly praised and is easy to use. I know many of the free converters do have malware attached but I haven’t had any problems after downloading the Any Video Converter.

Per Wiki:

The free version of AVC is ad-supported.[12] While it does not appear to contain malware,[13] the Windows installer does default to include potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) such as virus scanners and/or toolbars. However, the user can avoid installing these PUPs by selecting the Customize Install option and not accepting installation of the optional, recommended software.[14]
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

KHJ celebrated its first anniversary in 1966, and published a commemorative "annual" that's reproduced here in PDF form. It includes a photo of Adam West handing Fred Jones a gift certificate for the TV he won, another photo of Batman with one of the KHJ disk jockeys, and lots of other cool pics of station-sponsored events. Groovy!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Hmm. Where's Robin? Maybe Dick Grayson had a big exam over at Woodrow Roosevelt that day...

Seriously, which episode would they have been filming when the prize was awarded?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."