Local News Article On Jay Sebring

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

Local News Article On Jay Sebring

Post by Keith Mayo »

"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
AndyFish

Re: Local News Article On Jay Sebring

Post by AndyFish »

To put it in Bat-lore perspective for anyone who might not know-- Jay Sebring was a big name Hollywood Hair Stylist who remained good friends with his ex-girlfriend Sharon Tate and sadly was murdered by the Manson Family on August 8, 1969. Jay was a stylist for Bat Producer Bill Dozier and was in an episode as Hair Dresser Mr Oceanbring in one of the third season episodes.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am To put it in Bat-lore perspective for anyone who might not know-- Jay Sebring was a big name Hollywood Hair Stylist who remained good friends with his ex-girlfriend Sharon Tate and sadly was murdered by the Manson Family on August 8, 1969. Jay was a stylist for Bat Producer Bill Dozier and was in an episode as Hair Dresser Mr Oceanbring in one of the third season episodes.
To expand even further:

Jay guested in S2's "The Bat's Kow Tow", but the other (and quite considerable) influence he had on the '66 Bat-Universe was introducing his friend and client Bruce Lee to William Dozier.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'll be dipped, it was Season Two.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am To put it in Bat-lore perspective for anyone who might not know-- Jay Sebring was a big name Hollywood Hair Stylist who remained good friends with his ex-girlfriend Sharon Tate and sadly was murdered by the Manson Family on August 8, 1969. Jay was a stylist for Bat Producer Bill Dozier and was in an episode as Hair Dresser Mr Oceanbring in one of the third season episodes.
Watching that scene really bothers me after I learned who he was and how he died.

Something about him being attacked by a gang, even in the silly context of the show and the ludicrous fight scene and electric buzzer scene that follows just feels off to me.

Horrible crime.
High C

Post by High C »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 pm
Watching that scene really bothers me after I learned who he was and how he died.

Something about him being attacked by a gang, even in the silly context of the show and the ludicrous fight scene and electric buzzer scene that follows just feels off to me.

Horrible crime.
I think you are confusing/conflating two horrific tragedies. Dick Kallman, who also was murdered post-Batman, in 1980, is the person I believe you are thinking of. Sebring, whose birth surname was Kummer, appeared in the Catwoman voice eraser arc.

And yeah, it is unsettling to watch knowing what took place later.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Jay Sebring in January 1963 on "To Tell The Truth" as the lead subject of the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxk_9YlkUc
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

High C wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Horrible crime.
I think you are confusing/conflating two horrific tragedies. Dick Kallman, who also was murdered post-Batman, in 1980, is the person I believe you are thinking of. Sebring, whose birth surname was Kummer, appeared in the Catwoman voice eraser arc.

And yeah, it is unsettling to watch knowing what took place later.
Thanks for the correction. For a while now I thought Mr. Kallman had been Mr. Sebring.

I had never heard of Dick Kallman, but I confused the hairstylist with the hippy record mogul; I thought the guy in the Catwoman/Joker episode was the poor man murdered by the Manson family.

I looked up Mr. Sebring and saw a picture of him from the voice-eraser storyline.

But now you're telling me that the guy in the Eartha Kitt episode is Dick Kallman, another murder victim. I didn't know that either and went to look it up just now. Very sad.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Kallman had starred in his own show "Hank" several years before that lasted just a season.