Looks Like Shazam! is Coming to Blu-Ray!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Looks Like Shazam! is Coming to Blu-Ray!

Post by vintagematt »

It just popped up on amazon, comes out October 8th! The cover art is fantastic! :D
Makes me hope the same treatment will be given to Wonder Woman...

https://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Complete- ... y&sr=8-252
Attachments
Isn't it a beauty!
Isn't it a beauty!
lala.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 9345 times
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
SprangFan

Re: Looks Like Shazam! is Coming to Blu-Ray!

Post by SprangFan »

Looks like the art is by Jerry Ordway, who did the "Power of Shazam" comic years ago (still my favorite modern take on the character).

This may be the same art as they used on the DVD set a while back, but that was a print-to-order thing from the Warner site, I believe.

Fun show, but giving the BluRay treatment to a show that looked like it had a budget of $30 an episode seems like overkill. LOL
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Interesting. I wonder if this s just a transfer from the source used for the DVDs. Moreover, the DVD had once-lost "lesson" tags as a special feature, but not added back to their original episodes, so I would be curious to know if they found clean versions of those cut segments.
Beneath Wayne Manor
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 am Interesting. I wonder if this s just a transfer from the source used for the DVDs. Moreover, the DVD had once-lost "lesson" tags as a special feature, but not added back to their original episodes, so I would be curious to know if they found clean versions of those cut segments.

Here is a link to a short video about the restoration of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hU6K_JMEhs

The press release from Warner states that these are new 2019 HD masters from original elements.

I have the DVDs from a few years back, but this is one time that I will make an exception for double dipping. :D
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

It figures! :lol: I just bought the series on its regular DVD format two weeks ago. It's a great spin down Saturday morning memory lane and I have to admit some of the humor is really good that I missed back when I was a schnick. In any event, I have the set now so I'll go with that as is. Saving my money for blu-ray releases of the Logan's Run TV series and The Fearless Vampire Killers as well as picking up the blu-ray of Jimmy Stewart's Strategic Air Command.

One thing watching the series reminded me is of how much I wish someone would release all the great theme songs and background music of Filmation's properties.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yellow Oval said:
"One thing watching the series reminded me is of how much I wish someone would release all the great theme songs and background music of Filmation's properties"

Dont get me started YO. LOL. We could add 1967 Spider-Man to the list please!
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for the link, NJ_Batfan!
Beneath Wayne Manor
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:53 am Yellow Oval said:
"One thing watching the series reminded me is of how much I wish someone would release all the great theme songs and background music of Filmation's properties"

Without a doubt, John Mack, without a doubt. A release of a CD with the iconic Spidey theme song and background music and a re-release of the entire series on DVD are greatly desired by many as the 3rd party vendor pirates make it impossible to purchase the original release. Much like The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

Aren't these MOD Blu-rays? How does that work as I've never bought one?

The MOD DVDs were just burnt onto disc weren't they? Pretty much what you could do at home copying a DVD on your computer. Are the Blu-rays from Warner Archive done the same way, or are they actually pressed on demand therefore reducing the cost of filling up shop shelves and warehouses with something that possibly won't sell?

I bought Superboy season one as it was a proper DVD but never got the others, or Legends of the Super-Heroes or Static Shock for that matter. It's the reason I didn't buy Mask of the Phantasm on Blu-ray either.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

tenderheart bear wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:36 am Aren't these MOD Blu-rays? How does that work as I've never bought one?

The MOD DVDs were just burnt onto disc weren't they? Pretty much what you could do at home copying a DVD on your computer. Are the Blu-rays from Warner Archive done the same way, or are they actually pressed on demand therefore reducing the cost of filling up shop shelves and warehouses with something that possibly won't sell?

I bought Superboy season one as it was a proper DVD but never got the others, or Legends of the Super-Heroes or Static Shock for that matter. It's the reason I didn't buy Mask of the Phantasm on Blu-ray either.
I’m pretty sure the Blu rays are pressed, although I could be wrong.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 am Interesting. I wonder if this s just a transfer from the source used for the DVDs. Moreover, the DVD had once-lost "lesson" tags as a special feature, but not added back to their original episodes, so I would be curious to know if they found clean versions of those cut segments.
Yes, the moral segments are restored from the original film elements. These remastered episodes first appeared on the DC app.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Ya know, just watching some more of the show it occurred to me those segments where suddenly Billy looks up all serious, shouts "SHAZAM!", then BOOM!!!!, a smirking Captain Marvel appears would have been a great segment for a Philips Milk of Magnesia commercial back in the day. :lol:
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

John Mack wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:53 am Yellow Oval said:

I don't have it in front of me, but I got the 1967 Spider-Man soundtrack album on vinyl and it's great-- it's all the background music-- the jazzy stuff. One of my absolute favorites and it was just released.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

CC6C99B2-B5DF-4EDA-9396-5F1041142408.jpeg
CC6C99B2-B5DF-4EDA-9396-5F1041142408.jpeg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 9085 times
On Amazon.
I also downloaded the YouTube Spideman compilation and dropped on my iPhone once I converted the file to Audio only. That’s A great hour of driving music
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Need more info Andy on this LP. I've never seen it!!
Music. BAT! Music.