SDCC Exclusive Pop

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batken

SDCC Exclusive Pop

Post by Batken »

SDCC is putting out a maskless version of Kato which makes no sense and doesn't look good. Last year they had the two pack of The Green Hornet and Kato.
Therin of Andor

Re: SDCC Exclusive Pop

Post by Therin of Andor »

Batken wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 pm SDCC is putting out a maskless version of Kato which makes no sense and doesn't look good. Last year they had the two pack of The Green Hornet and Kato.
There has been a recent set of various Bruce Lee Pops. Not surprising there will be a single Kato, but anyone with the duo pack from 2018, already, is unlikely to need a single, masked Kato.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Batken wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 pm SDCC is putting out a maskless version of Kato which makes no sense and doesn't look good. Last year they had the two pack of The Green Hornet and Kato.
I understand the idea behind a mask-less Kato--trying to attract the basic Lee collector, but something tells me the face will look more like the older, gaunt version of Lee from his last few years (the image most marketed) than his appearance from the short-haired, fuller faced, GH-era.
Beneath Wayne Manor
zarm106

Post by zarm106 »

Here is more info on this thread.
Pop! Television: The Green Hornet – Kato (shared with Toy Tokyo)

https://sdccblog.com/2019/06/funko-san- ... xclusives/
Attachments
40100-GreenHornet-Kato-POP-GLAM_large_1.png
40100-GreenHornet-Kato-POP-GLAM_large_1.png (92.77 KiB) Viewed 13638 times
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Wowsers, I totally missed out on the duo pack from last year.
Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:29 am There has been a recent set of various Bruce Lee Pops. Not surprising there will be a single Kato, but anyone with the duo pack from 2018, already, is unlikely to need a single, masked Kato.
Kato Pop by Ian McLean, on Flickr

When you’re in a different Australian city and state, searching for hard-to-find Bruce Lee “Pop” figures for the spare parts to make a Kato to go with your Green Hornet “Pop” - and you find the rare, actual Kato instead.
Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor

Ben Bentley wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:43 pm Wowsers, I totally missed out on the duo pack from last year.
New poses for the 2019 exclusive Pop twin pack (right), compared to the 2018 twin pack (left).

Green Hornet and Kato Pops by Ian McLean, on Flickr
Therin of Andor

vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Where is it exclusive to? I'm hoping I can get them to add to my Batman '66 funko pop collection!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Good that there's a bit more GH '66 merchandise out there, but I'm not into the Pop figures. My one figure wish is that Hot Toys would have produced 1:6 scale figures of the '66 Hornet and Kato. Yes, I remember the Enterbay Kato figure, but his height was incorrect (next to that one would assume are characters supposed to be six feet or taller), and I think someone could deliver a more accurate Lee face as he appeared on the show.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Therin of Andor

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:48 am Where is it exclusive to?
In 2018, there was a twin-pack at the run of big toy/comic conventions in the US. Sometimes the leftovers end up at retail in places like Australia. And on eBay.

Then there was unmasked single Kato, to go with the previous single Hornet.

For 2019's big toy/comic conventions in the US, there was the differently poses twin-pack. The leftovers have ended up at retail in places like Australia. And on eBay.
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:10 pm I remember the Enterbay Kato figure, but his height was incorrect (next to that one would assume are characters supposed to be six feet or taller), and I think someone could deliver a more accurate Lee face as he appeared on the show.
It's a very easy body swap...

Green Hornet and Kato by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Kato custom by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The Japanese "Mediacom Toy Corporation" Kato & the Green Hornet turned out to be 9" tall each, a little taller than expected (and as advertised on eBay). "Figures Toy Company" uses the regular 8" Mego-style figures for their "Batman '66" line, So, by cannibalising a retro Mego-style Captain Pike (from "Star Trek"), I was able to make my Kato more in scale with 8" Robin and 9" Green Hornet. Kato's head was swapped out onto Pike's body, the hands painted shiny black, the jacket sleeves slightly shortened with hemming web, and his tiny cuff buttons moved.
Therin of Andor