Aurora Batman model question

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

Aurora Batman model question

Post by Lou Szabo »

So many of us have built a variant of the Aurora Batman model, whether it was a 1964, 1974 Comic Scenes or Revell or Polar Lights iterations

My question are these: What color did you paint the shorts and how old were you when you built/painted it the first time?

Same dark blue as the cape/cowl/boots and gloves. Age 13 or 14
718592FC-B731-4788-81C0-628C3923B4D9.png
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
John Mack

Re: Aurora Batman model question

Post by John Mack »

Hi Lou,

So, when I was 11 I painted my 1974 Comic Scenes Batman trunks the same blue as the Cape, mask, gloves and boots. It was a lighter blue than Navy blue, but darker than say sky blue.

When I was 22 or so, I bought the 1984 Super Powers kit. It was so nice to have a chance to do the "tree" model again. By this time however, I was very experienced in painting and building model kits and created a mixture of colors for Batman's blue/black costume parts.

Trivia: The Super Powers box side panel says something about the kit being Batman from the new movie, although we wouldn't see that new movie for 5 more years and Keaton's suit looked nothing like the traditional Batsuit we all know and love.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm with John-- my original kit with the rough molded emblem was blue and gray-- trunks matched the cape. When I did the Superpowers one-- great kit but they gave him a new head I didn't like- I went with black trunks which seemed more right. Behind me I have an original 60s kit that someone else built and painted, and they went with the matching blue and I dig it. It just feels right for the vintage. I think it was a matter of where we painting the Adam West costume or the cartoon version in making our color choices.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Andy,
Can you post a pic of the version with black shorts. I’m trying to picture it.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Here's my painted model-- I didn't paint it-- a boardie gifted this to me from his personal original collection. I love it's charm and it's blue shorts.

The black short version I had is long since lost to the annals of time. But one need only look to the box art to see the black shorts of Carmine Infantino;

Of course the PHOTO of the model included on the box has blue shorts so it's no wonder kids were confused.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

And the instructions say blue also. Also in the drawing, the edges of the shorts show a blue color, like Lois and Clark’s hair. Again, no wonder there was so much confusion
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

The kit really tapped the Adam West market and I think most of us painted the trunks blue.
I recall I painted one of these with blue lines on the side seams and black in the center.

Years later when I painted my little bust of Adam as Batman, I painted it like an inked comic image.

I had an intense conversation with an animatronic company owner about this very issue.
The rendered artwork showed a hat with a black body and two blue highlights.
Explaining why it wasn't blue on the final piece was a tedious afternoon!!
Attachments
PA220084.JPG
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Anyone know if the original instructions are out there as a high res scan anywhere?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

No, but I did put the page in question at the top of the page. I may redo my 1974 comic scenes version in black with blue highlights.

Chuck , I love that little bust. When I finally retire, I want to build these models again.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

So I searched the internets ;) and could not find a single instance/photo of black shorts, unless the cape and cowl were black. In fact, every image seems to have the shorts, cowl, cape and gloves with matching colors.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think that owes to the Adam West suit.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Attachments
AURORA_batman03.jpg
AURORA_batman03.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
AURORA_batman02.jpg
AURORA_batman02.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
AURORA_batman01.jpg
AURORA_batman01.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Beautifully done- that’s the second issue kit right? No moulded emblem but it doesn’t have the super powers head.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The comic scenes, which I think of as the second issue (1973/74) doesn't have the BATMAN script on the tree. I thought the Batman tree script was limited to the 1960's. Also, the Owl was only a 1960's release. If they did 2 releases in the 1960's then this may be a second release minus the owl and the molded chest decal. I know in 1974, they had no owl, and the bat logo was a "sticker".

That's a nice build-up. The black shorts don't really stand out, which may be why I never really picked up on them until the release of a Batman 2 pack a decade ago. Now all I see is black shorts in the comics, on the Megos, etc.

So much for my attention to detail.... :roll:
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Lou Szabo wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:11 am So many of us have built a variant of the Aurora Batman model, whether it was a 1964, 1974 Comic Scenes or Revell or Polar Lights iterations

My question are these: What color did you paint the shorts
I had the Comic Scenes version, and used the comic/art as my painting inspiration. Took a good deal of time to find that right blend for the highlights in the folds.
Beneath Wayne Manor