Holy spandex batman!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Huntman

Holy spandex batman!

Post by Huntman »

Hello all! Batman & catwoman here! We have a few questions. We found material for the catwoman suit but we are not sure if its the correct type. http://www.spandexhouse.com/search-resu ... ye=Slm-017 what do you guys think? Is it purrrfect? Lol! Our next question is in regards to the batman suit. We read on some posts that it is some kind of blue satin. What kind of material is it exactly and where can we find it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Until next time! Same bat time, same bat place!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Holy spandex batman!

Post by Scott Sebring »

Yes, this is pretty much the stuff you'd use for the Catwoman suit.

As for the Batman satin question, that fabric was a stretch satin material called Lastex (sp?) that was used for things like girdles back in the day. It never came in blue and had to be dyed. All of Batman's blue pieces (except for the cape and boots) were done in this material. But due to lack of demand and manufacturers going out of business type stuff, that material is now long gone. Nobody makes it anymore. Chuck Williams scanned the globe for any remaining quantities of the material to have custom dyed for a group run quite a while ago. He managed to find the last of it and did the run. It ended up being quite expensive to do but he couldn't do it again even if he wanted to. There is no more. Some of us have some of the material from that run for our own costume building or in my case, a bit left for replacement pieces and mending.

I hope this helps.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi Huntman,

To get more of the original Batsuit fabric would literally cost thousands. I do know of a small stash but it is VERY expensive per yard and the minimum orders of both the fabric and the dyeing is approx. 75 yards.
It is all overseas now and also costs thousands to ship because of the size and weight of the roll.
The fabric is very heavy and thick like denim.

For replica costumes now you do have a couple of choices.

One is Jumbo Satin Spandex. It is the fabric that replaced the original in the marketplace.
It is heavy, strong and easy to dye but comes in navy blue if you don't want to bother.
Unfortunately it doesn't have the same smooth, satiny look as the original and has a sparkly look in some photos.
Second is a fabric called "Debutante' Stretch Satin". It comes in Navy blue, looks really smooth and photographs very much like the original but it is only about 1/3rd the weight of the original or the Jumbo.
It can be doubled up or interfaced to give it more weight.

Both fabrics will work well and give you a look that 90% of viewers will swear looks exactly like the original costume!

But of course if you're a BatNut like me, nothing but the real thing will satisfy!!! :D

Good luck on your quest!
All the best,
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Huntman

Post by Huntman »

Thank you for the replies Scott and Chuck! We think this royal blue is too light http://www.spandexhouse.com/pictures.php?pId=3664. What do you think of these colors. http://www.spandexhouse.com/pictures.php?pId=822. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WF ... d_i=507846. We are thinking of using one of those for the trunks, gloves, cape, and cowl but the ears are a different color, any suggestions for those?
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Happy to help!

The ears are painted navy blue just as the face of the cowl is painted black.

The best way to purchase a fabric online is to ask for swatches of the fabric for sale.
I've been ordering fabric online for years and it's impossible to judge color by online photos.

Any "Royal Blue" will be too bright blue. You want a Navy Blue but not a blue/black navy.
It's dark blue but has "life" to it. Not dull.

Chuck...
Attachments
eardetail.jpg

Huntman

Post by Huntman »

Thank you Chuck. I have swatches order and have your pattern set and your caped crime fighter set of swatches. Now the waiting game. I will be ordering some tights top and bottom and then will be dyeing them with dye Rit. http://www.onstagedancewear.com/PDMTO-3075.aspx and http://www.onstagedancewear.com/PDMTO-3083.aspx. Need to find a chest emblem , belt , cowl , and boots.
Farb

Post by Farb »

Which fabric type are you choosing for the tights?
Huntman

Post by Huntman »

Farb wrote:Which fabric type are you choosing for the tights?
The fabric is supplex spandex. I think that is what everyone else is using. I found a post in the archive. http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 1188222789
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Yes, the supplex is the preferred material around here. It is, according to the manufacturers description, soft like cotton spandex, but more resilient. In my experience, it breathes better than the average spandex, so you don't get sweaty as fast. The surface of it is not as "slippery" as normal spandex, but its softness does, in my opinion, make it necessary for you to be really careful about snagging it. Keep male velcro away from it!

Supplex dyes pretty readily with off-the-shelf dye like RIT, although you have to be diligent about agitating it so it doesn't bunch up in the dye bath, or you will get blotchy patches. Also, if you're using the onstagedancewear tights and leotard, it is nigh on impossible to get the seams to dye, so you will get some white streaks where the seams are. This is because the thread onstage uses does not dye, and the seams are so tight, dye bath really can't get in there. C'est la vie! If you are using separate tights and leotard, be sure to dye them at the same time, so you get consistent color.

Hope that is helpful in some way.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Huntman

Post by Huntman »

About how many boxes do you think. Think it was like one box per lb. And go with the pearl grey and some navy blue?
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I can't find who to properly credit for this, but here is the RIT dye formula I found suggested on this board when I was going to dye mine (supplex from onstagedancewear):

2 pkgs RIT powder Pearl Grey
3/8 teaspoon RIT powder Navy or Purple or Aubergine

That's per pound of dry fabric. My 3XL leotard and 2XL tights together weighed in under a pound, so this is the formula I used - sort of. I substituted 1 bottle of liquid RIT - same as two packages of dry, but it's easier to use. Aubergine was discontinued ages ago, but it just so happened that I had some, so that's what I used. I don't think I'd use the Navy - I recommend the Purple, or maybe even the Wine. The tights have a slightly warmish hue to them. Aubergine was a deep purple sort of eggplant color.

Be sure to let it get darker than you think it should be - remember, wet fabric always looks much darker than dry fabric. And, after you rinse them out and wash them, the color WILL fade a bit. I always wash my stuff out by hand to keep it from fading as much as possible.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

For ages, guys used straight up RIT Pearl Grey for the tights.
That color can be too green or blue depending on the batch you get.

The Rit Pearl Grey/Navy came from a board member Sean Katkus, who asked Rit to color match a photo of the tights. I posted the RIT formula to the board for him.

The Rit Pearl Grey/Aubergine came from me when I was matching Mark Hardemans tight color.
The actual color of the tights is a warm pinky grey and any color I tried with blue in the mix was too blue to match the originals. It was the closest color at the time that could be achieved with RIT.

When Darren Nameth found that Aubergine was no longer made, RIT suggested the purple to replace it when he contacted them. It makes a color that suggests how the original color photographed, the Grey/Lavender color.

It is also favored by Scott Sebring , our fearless moderator,who had arrived there on his own.

The real color in person is not very attractive honestly, and is a pain to mix.It can read almost brown in some light situations.
I literally spent years working on that color and in the end only a nut like me would EVER know or care about it.

Go have a life!!!!

Chuck...

Hedji

Post by Hedji »

I love that you stand by the purple, Chuck. Batman's tights always looked purplish to me, and of course, so much of the painted art on merchandise was very purple.

To be honest, as I build my costume, the dyeing of the tights is the part that interests me most.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks Hedji!

It has consumed a lot of my brain power I can tell you!! :lol:

It really is the color used in the comic books at the time. That weird pinkish purple grey.

The reason I spend so much time on these colors and fabrics is simply because I want to know what they were.
I've wanted to know since I was a kid!

That's just me.

Huntman

Post by Huntman »

I have received many samples of fabric and I think I found the ones im going to use. The material I was thinking of using for the gloves and trunks is a Nylon Spandex Moleskin (Heavy Weight Spandex) has anyone ever used this type of material ? The top layer is the satin for the cape. The second layer is for the gloves and trunks and bottom is chucks original material sample.