1970s Batman - Missed Opportunity

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

1970s Batman - Missed Opportunity

Post by Yellow Oval »

I recently finished watching the entire original run of the Mission Impossible TV series. Every episode I couldn't help but notice that actor Peter Lupus would have a made a perfect live action version of Neal Adams' Bruce Wayne and Batman. He was a good actor and was a weightlifter as well as standing 6' 4". Peter's face looked like a real-life Bruce and had the structure for the Batman mask, especially the jawline and eyes. He would have been, in my opinion, the most perfect version of Batman Hollywood would have ever put out. Too bad they waited so long and missed the Batboat on this one.

"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Re: 1970s Batman - Missed Opportunity

Post by SprangFan »

If it's any consolation, he did get to play Superman.

"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

SprangFan, this is true. He was Superman in those old '70s Air Force recruiting commercials, but he never struck me as the Superman type. I believe he was more suited to play Batman.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Don't know if I see it-- I've never thought Neal's overly brutish extremely hairy version of Bruce Wayne works for me, I see him as a more urbane polished guy-- which is why you never suspect he's Batman. Lewis Wilson and Adam West were perfect casting choices.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I hadn't really thought of Lupus for a 70s Batman, but he does seem to fit the part. For me, I think I always went with the consensus that Clint Eastwood would have been an awesome Batman in the 1970s.