TO THE BATPOLES #125 Minerva: Holy self-parody!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Kamdan

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #125 Minerva: Holy self-parody!

Post by Kamdan »

Desmond Doomsday was saying “pressurized CONTAINERS,” not “campaigners.” The sound clip you provided clearly states that.

The last thug that goes down with the flower bowl on his head goes down due to Batman and Robin punching him.
High C

Post by High C »

Kamdan wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:17 pm Desmond Doomsday was saying “pressurized CONTAINERS,” not “campaigners.” The sound clip you provided clearly states that.
I just listened to it several times and it is difficult to tell one way or another. It almost sounds like 'canned tainers.'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

High C wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:05 pm I just listened to it several times and it is difficult to tell one way or another. It almost sounds like 'canned tainers.'
Not sure how you can hear a “M” instead of a “N,” which is clearly enunciated. The reason it sounds like that is all part of the pompous nature Dozier put into the narrations with the overly emphasized syllables.
High C

Post by High C »

Kamdan wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:12 am
High C wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:05 pm I just listened to it several times and it is difficult to tell one way or another. It almost sounds like 'canned tainers.'
Not sure how you can hear a “M” instead of a “N,” which is clearly enunciated. The reason it sounds like that is all part of the pompous nature Dozier put into the narrations with the overly emphasized syllables.
Fair enough. But then it's definitely an 'A' sound as in 'can,' not an 'O' sound as in 'containers.'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

High C wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:40 am Fair enough. But then it's definitely an 'A' sound as in 'can,' not an 'O' sound as in 'containers.'
Right, the pronunciation of container is “kuhn·
tei·nr,” which makes the first syllable sound like “caan” than “con,” as in “conjugate.” As I said, the emphasis Dozier inflicts here and in other cases are all part of that pompous nature he was looking for in the narration that apparently no one else could do but himself.
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

The blu-ray subtitles read "pressurized campaigners." Note that the Oxford dictionary lists as "similar" to campaigner the words crusader, fighter, and battler.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Mr. Glee wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:59 pm The blu-ray subtitles read "pressurized campaigners." Note that the Oxford dictionary lists as "similar" to campaigner the words crusader, fighter, and battler.
Holy misheard! I remember there was some discrepancies over the subtitles on other episodes, such as Batman’s line in Smack in the Middle: “The swine’s dope affected your vocal chords,” not being accurately transcribed. Still baffling to me since there was no hint of an “M” in the pronunciation and it makes since for them to be called “pressurized containers” as they just escaped from the Persimmon Pressurizer.
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

About the Dozier & Horwitz cameos - the Call Sheet for the third day of shooting on this episode lists them as playing the parts of "Mr. Monroe" and "Customer". The scene in Gordon's office, where Gordon discusses the robberies, had been filmed two days earlier, hence the need to re-record the line after the names were changed.

Also, Jacques Bergerac's name is conspicuously absent from the Call Sheets for all four days, and there is no reference to a "fence" character, suggesting his appearance may have been a last-minute addition to the show.
High C

Post by High C »

I should note that reserve MLB outfielder Al Ferrara played Adonis. He also portrayed one of the all-time favorite henchmen of the podcast, Trap Door on Black Widow.

Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

High C wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:52 pm I should note that reserve MLB outfielder Al Ferrara played Adonis. He also portrayed one of the all-time favorite henchmen of the podcast, Trap Door on Black Widow.
Much like another Dodger, Jim Lefebvre, was one of the henchmen of John Astin's Riddler. That brings to mind the Temper Tonic argument between Gordon O'Hara in the Riddler silent movie caper, where O'Hara angrily insists that Maury Wills (then a Dodger) was a better shortstop that Honus Wagner. Dozier was a huge fan of Wills.