Burt & Yvonne Photo

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
TheCruzer

Burt & Yvonne Photo

Post by TheCruzer »

Hello All,

New posting on the board, but a long time follower. Just curious if anyone has any insighton this Burt and Yvonne photo on eBay? I bought one, hoping to now have Burt sign it.

eBay item number: 153784756011

Thanks the Cruzer
AndyFish

Re: Burt & Yvonne Photo

Post by AndyFish »

Not sure exactly what you’re asking but here goes;
1- From the description, its a composite photo done by Todd Carson!! (Exclamation point his not mine). In other words its two separate photos put together as one, both are publicity photos. It says that this is an unseen closeup of Yvonne but I’ve seen that pose before.

2- Todd Carson!! (Or the seller, it’s unclear if they are the same) had Yvonne sign 20 of these before she passed away and he is now selling these.

Here’s my two cents because you asked;
1- I don’t like “created” photographs— they look off. If he made these six or seven years ago the printing technology is not what is is today and nothing in the listing states “Real Photograph” which usually means to me printed out on my inkjet printer. These could actually be printed, which would be a plus, but it doesn’t say that.

2- I have an aversion to sellers who blanket a piece of “art” they made with watermarks. In this case the seller (if it’s Todd Carson!!) took two photos that someone else took, cropped them and reformatted them so that they now exist in a manner in which the original photographer didn’t intend, then he watermarks it like this is his work (when its really not) because he’s afraid someone will steal his image and make copies. I’ve often found the people who are nutso about people stealing from them often steal from other people, which is exactly what Todd Carson!! did here— he did not license the photos from Fox publicity department, he couldn’t sell them at this price point if he did, licensing is expensive.

3- The price point concerns me. Did Yvonne sign 20 of these for FREE? If she charged half of what Adam was charging that means he’s selling them at a loss!! (<<see what I did there?). I also don’t like people who ask someone to sign 20 of something just so they can sell it later— they are not fans.

4- A few years before her death I sent a photo to Yvonne’s address along with a check for her signature and she sent the photo back signed and she returned the check too. The photo is filed away here somewhere, but the signature was a lot cleaner than this one. That doesn’t mean she didn’t sign this one, and arguably she might not have signed mine because I didn’t witness it, but her former Manager is right here on these very boards and he or she should be able to authenticate the signature. Signatures can vary— especially if she signed these at a show. At Ace Chicago this year the convention did an exclusive release of SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH #1, the show promoter had a VIP package for attendees and had Kiernan Shipka sign 25 of them and then brought them over to us to sign— by #25 I was laughing at how anyone trying to read my signature was going to have a tough time of it. So a lot of factors can contribute to a signature.

5- The Seller has zero (0!!) feedback and the only other item they’re selling is an iPhone 7 or something. I don’t buy from zero feedback sellers. It’s not infallible but since I’ve been on eBay (1998) I’ve only been genuinely ripped off ONCE and that was a long time ago.

Bottom line is if you like the piece that’s great— you’ll be able to tell right away if its a real photo or an inkjet— if it’s an inkjet keep it out of the light and it should fade slowly. If you get Burt to sign it you at least know it’s signed by Burt. If you have faith in a Todd Carson!! COA then you’re in the front row.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I don't think the seller is Todd Carson. With or without exclamation points.The seller is saying they bought this at a swap meet and after research found that the image was created by Todd Carson. I think it is just an awkwardly worded description by an eBay dealer who is not very experienced with their two items and zero reviews. I do know Todd Carson is indeed Yvonne's nephew (her sister Meridel's son) and very capable of putting together a composite like this. I don't think he sells anything at a swap meet. Meridel would know but I'm not going to bother her about every eBay item with Yvonne's signature. I might bring this one up while we have lunch next week and catch up on things as we manage to do a couple times a year since we live about 3 hours apart from one another yet like to keep it on mostly non Bat related topics. We use to do this with Yvonne until she passed away and continue to do it ourselves. I managed to finally meet Todd again at one of these almost two years ago. last time I saw him before that was in 2006. Great guy.

I vaguely remember this composite coming about a few years or so before Yvonne passed away. I even have a copy of the print (non signed) in my Yvonne folder in my filing cabinet for her web stuff. We offered it on her site and may have included a credit to Todd in the description. The site has long been changed so I don't have any records of the original description from back then. I think she and Burt were suppose to offer it on their respective tables and her website at least (that's why I was in the loop). But I seem to remember somehow this duo effort ended up not getting completed on the Burt side. Can't remember the details. It may have been that Burt's site closed up before this got completed on his side. Not sure now.

If there were any bulk signed items of Yvonne's in her family's possession, they would have offered them through her site. There aren't. In general, Yvonne never made it a habit to sign stuff like this in advance because she wanted to individually fulfill requests on items bought through her site such as personalizing or not. But in the case where something like this was going to be shared between the cast members' tables and sites (don't remember when Burt's last site closed) , it made sense for her to send some presigned ones to his people and for him to sign ones to send to her likewise. But these collaborations rarely saw the light of day in a completed way. It is very conceivable that these were the one's made by Yvonne and were sent to Burt's team of the time. Possibly the former webmaster. I have no idea on that. I'm not confirming or denying. Just thinking out loud of what I do remember.
TheCruzer

Post by TheCruzer »

Hi, thanks so much for your opinions, and comments. It’s interesting reading the comments.

Phew... I did receive my photo today, and it’s awesome! It’s a photograph, not an inkjet print. And the signature was done in blue ink. You can see it under a loop. I was concerned after reading these comments here. Luckily everything worked out ok. Its cool knowing that not everyone has one of these 👍 in their collection.

Now, I’ve got to get Mr. Ward to sign!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

For the curious, here's the photo in question.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
TheCruzer

Post by TheCruzer »

Here is the photo I received.
72FAA5B8-7577-4E14-98ED-12F8B9EF8D35.jpeg
I’m happy.

Close up of signature.
72FAA5B8-7577-4E14-98ED-12F8B9EF8D35.jpeg
Attachments
3833A9B0-0BE0-4DFE-BBE0-B8BFD50D4E1B.jpeg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It looks a million times better now that you can see it without the watermark.
TheCruzer

Post by TheCruzer »

Got lucky on this one folks.

Thanks again for your replies and comments.

This is such a great website and community.

The Cruzer
TheCruzer

Post by TheCruzer »

Hi again,

Can anyone (especially Scott) confirm that my signature is authentic? Or not?

The Cruzer
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Looks about right to me. I'm very familiar with her sig but do not claim to be an expert on any signatures for declaring authenticity.