Those Wacky Citizens of Gotham City

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Those Wacky Citizens of Gotham City

Post by dell »

One of my favorite lines by a citizen is from The Entrancing Dr. Cassandra episode. The episode has issues, but I love the line from the proprietor of Spiffany's Jewelry after the heroes have been flattened by the ray gun.

"Just a moment madam. Attacking the Terrific Trio is one thing. That's not my business and I don't want to get involved, but stealing the Mope Diamond is another matter completely."

Batman, Robin and Batgirl risk theirs lives to keep these people safe and they seem pretty clueless.

Do you have a favorite line from a secondary character?
dell
John Mack

Re: Those Wacky Citizens of Gotham City

Post by John Mack »

I think it's from the episode where the Joker and his henchmen come alive from busts or statues in the Gotham museum. Batman and Robin go into the curator's office and the curator says something to the affect of what an honor it is to meet Batman. What makes me smile is then he adds, "Ive followed your exploits for years." This always seemed like he had been reading the comic books to me lol. Then there's poor Robin. The guy practically disses him without actually meaning to?
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

I've been meaning to bump this up for quite some time. My apologies to the OP for not doing so much sooner.

My favorite instance of this came in season 1, and I think it is instructive because it takes place at the intersection of Semple's and Dozier's respective visions for the show.

In The Ring of Wax, Riddler and his henchmen are stealing something from the library vault, and he sends henchmoll Moth, apparently to hide out near the front desk on a recon mission to let him know when The Duo arrive.

So this combined Semple's vision of Gotham City obliviousness (including The Duo, which I didn't always like), plus Dozier's admonition to Semple to work in 'dames' (ugh) whenever possible. And it is clear that Dozier wanted many of those 'dames' to be impossibly curvaceous and squeezed into skintight costumes, if possible, to bring in the adult male audience. You may recall, much like Kathy Kersh as Cornelia in season 2, Linda Scott as Moth wore a purple costume that seemed to be the forerunner of Batgirl's.

Anyway, neither the librarian nor The Duo notice Moth, despite the fact she seems to be less than 10 feet away.

BATMAN: Have you seen any unusual-looking people around here?
LIBRARIAN: Unusual? In what way?
BATMAN: Their garb. For instance, a man with a bright green suit with big black question marks on it.
LIBRARIAN: Let me think a moment, no I can't say that I have, offhand. But then I see so many people in the course of a day.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

Officer Toody easily should’ve been part of Chief O’Hara’s elite squad (“...when it comes to brains, me men just aren’t equipped.”) but instead it appears he retired from the force to become a talent manager.

“Ooh! Ooh! What a talent I got!”

-J\/\/
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This is a fun thread! Some good choices already shared and I feel there are so many potential options to choose from.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

I've always enjoyed how Little Louie Groovy describes Catwoman, Joker and their henchmen: "The chick in the swinging outfit, the creep with the green hair and those four clowns." :D