GI Joe 12" figures

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

SprangFan

Re: GI Joe 12" figures

Post by SprangFan »

Can't say I'm a fan of those Popeye forearms. Looking back part of the appeal of Classic Joe was that he looked like a fit, but real man and not a muscle-bound "He-Man" cartoon character. It'd be good to see realistically proportioned figures again.

I had the helicopter and loved it, but while the idea of variable costumes was great, making vehicles work in that scale was awkward. Jeeps were no problem, but "flying" that chopper or the VTOL plane in your back yard was not for the faint of heart. That's where the move to 4-inch scale made sense to me: vehicles worked a lot better. Plus Hasbro makes more money if the only way to change Joe's clothes is to buy him again in a different outfit. Hey, it worked for Star Wars.

Keith, love the Joe with his own Joe collection! LOL and is that Steven Segal with the tiger? Nah, can't be: he has life-long hair.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

The Joe with the tiger was 'bashed from the Save the White Tiger "Adventures of GI Joe" line that came out in the early 2000s. It was a step towards bringing back the Adventure Team. I changed his clothes and added the lab coat and glasses so he'd look like either a vet or research scientist.

As to the "Popeye" body, the WWII Com figures used what became known as the HOF (Hall of Fame) body. When Hasbro first began producing the 12" line again in the late 90s, they made 12" versions of the 3 3/4 "Little Joes". That body was used for about 3 years until they came out with a newer body that was closer to the original vintage Joes. Later they began to sell reproductions of the '64 Joes so not only were the bodies copies of the originals but the headsculpt was too. The heads on the HOF Joes were a poor attempt to copy the original heads.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

This custom job I did didn't use just GiJoes but figures from Kenner, Dragon and Cotswold Collectables. The priest's tunics and hats were custom made by hand. I made the belts from items bought at a craft store and the sandals came from Cotswold Collectables. The Ark was sold by Hasbro. I ended up selling this for $200 plus shipping about 5 years ago.
Attachments
#1.jpg
#2.jpg
#2.jpg (195.19 KiB) Viewed 8883 times
#6.jpg
#6.jpg (130.25 KiB) Viewed 8883 times
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Bob Hope on a USO tour (in my back yard).
Attachments
bobhope3.jpg
bobhope6.jpg
bobhope9.jpg
bobhope11.jpg
bobhope12.jpg
WP_20140115_14_46_26_Pro.jpg
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks Keith! That's him! We just call him Shorty around here. Now, that we know he's an Admiral I suppose we should address him as Admiral Shorty or Squiddley Diddley Shorty lol. For those who dont know about the cartoon, in this episode Squiddley joins the Navy and becomes a chauffer for a Navy Admiral.
Thanks again and for the cool pictures Joe's or not, their very well done!
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.53 KiB) Viewed 8874 times
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Awesome Bob Hope!

And flanked by Joey Heatherton and Raquel Welch, no less. :lol:
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

My favorites include 1. Green Beret (first talker with foreign head). 2. Deep Sea Diver
Soldiers of the World. 4. Pilot Dress Uniform. 5 Secrets of the Mummy's tomb adventurer, and 6 Zorro Geyperman
Sea Wolf contents.jpg
Sea Wolf contents.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 8850 times
0e_1_b.jpg
0e_1_b.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 8850 times
DSCN4151.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG

I had to eat about 100 boxes of Honeycombs to get a Marine dress GI Joe. Still can't eat them today.

Favorite Vehicles 1. ATV (Banana Splits) and Desert Jeep (Rat Patrol) and Sea Wolf.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

94318bffd5d1f0b61e9811bdcb8e8f55--green-beret-gi-joe.jpg
94318bffd5d1f0b61e9811bdcb8e8f55--green-beret-gi-joe.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
And Zorro
zorro-large-satin-53f35ee.jpg
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 8848 times
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I remember MAD Magazine doing hysterical parody ads for G.I. Joe and the Barbie line. It was from 1969 so be advised it can be construed as politically incorrect.

https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/20 ... -g-i-jane/
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

John Mack wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 pm One of my other passions besides Batman are GI Joe 12" figures. Sorry, Ben. I dont know anything about Action Man.
Thought it could be fun to post about them here. The GI Joe websites I've come across favor the newer 3 3/4" Cobra figures. I never got into that. So please, when posting here make it just about the non Cobra figures, so I can chime in too! Thanks. The later Joe's are fine too, as long as they're the not Cobra related.
I grew up with Adventure Tram GI Joe in the early ‘70s and just missed the classic Joe era (I also just missed Batman on TV). However, one of the neighborhood kids gave me his old painted head GI Joes. Cool!

I purchased a huge collection of classic Joes including a Jeep and space capsule a few years ago. They are boxed up now but are going to be proudly displayed and photographed when I retire in 2 years.

So...stand-by for photos!
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

allegedly the Adventure Team is on the way back this year, it is the 50th anniversary of it so here's to hoping. I'm partial to the Adventures of line from 69, prefuzzy Joes.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Lou Szabo

Re: GI Joe 12" figures TV Commercial use

Post by Lou Szabo »

GI Joe meets Barbie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QKK5IDSXE
Nissan 300ZX commercial.

Another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKiT_wI-lw
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Custom Mini Me I made for my father's 80th birthday.
Attachments
83247033_3351915488168453_5058556208567287808_o.jpg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

That’s excellent Keith. A wonderful way to honor your Father
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

TBolt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:20 am allegedly the Adventure Team is on the way back this year, it is the 50th anniversary of it so here's to hoping. I'm partial to the Adventures of line from 69, prefuzzy Joes.
Even as an 8 year old when the "life like hair" came out, I felt that getting it wet with my deep sea diver and SCUBA diver was not a good idea. As the years passed, I have seen many Joes that have hair loss and wonder if it was due to the "Eight Ropes of Death" syndrome.
Music. BAT! Music.