Bob Lowery Batman Costume Tweaked

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Bob Lowery Batman Costume Tweaked

Post by AndyFish »

Poor Bob Lowery-- I liked him as an actor in the 40s-- he was in several Charlie Chan films, and he even had a good guest spot on SUPERMAN-- but rumors have persisted that he was the second choice for the '49 Batman and he wasn't as tall as the actor who was originally cast-- having no budget they didn't refit the suit so the ears flop and the chest emblem sits low on his stomach.

I don't know how true the whole thing is, but I know his stuntman looked a lot better in the suit that he did (check the episode where he climbs on the train).

With the discussion of the Adam West logo being too low, I tried a quick composite to see how Lowery's costume looks if we tighten the ears and shrink and raise the logo;

I think it looks pretty good. I didn't do anything to the ears other than straighten them. They are the size they already were-- and I added some capsules to the belt-- amazing how the logo moved up makes him look more trim.

Well, kids, this is why I buy my clothes from a tailor.
vintagematt

Re: Bob Lowery Batman Costume Tweaked

Post by vintagematt »

That looks so much better!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Excellent job, Andy!
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

Fascinating post Andy. I learned a lot.

Speaking of the Adam West emblem being too low, there was a Batman episode where he enters a museum and his emblem is much higher like in the comic books. Then in other scenes in the same episode the emblem is lower when he exits the museum.
I think it was the episode where the Joker had statues of famous comedians.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Interesting. Given the story (urban legend?) that the '66 show was at least partially inspired by showings of the old serials at the Playboy Mansion, could it be that Adam's logo was intentionally placed too low to make it look more comical?

The real problem with the cowl is that it seems made for a much larger head. It's collapsing in on itself in the front, which is not only what brings the ears down and forward, but also makes the eye area "pucker" in. It looks like Bruce Wayne has a head like a Talosian on Star Trek.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The fact that the eye holes don't line up with his eyes tells me the idea that he was a last minute replacement has merit-- it would have taken all of about an hour to modify the cowl by a tailor but then it would have added $3 to the budget something that producer Sam Katzman would have avoided.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:16 pm it would have taken all of about an hour to modify the cowl by a tailor but then it would have added $3 to the budget something that producer Sam Katzman would have avoided.
So right Andy
John was an old friend of mine and he had told me that they used a rubber band to keep the ears from flopping around. Crude and in expensive but it worked. If you look closely you can see the rubber band stretched from ear to ear across his forehead. LOL
Batman_1949-RubberBand.jpg
[/b]
Batman_1949-RubberBand-02.jpg
Oh the other hand John's Robin boots were custom made and the most comfortable he had ever worn. He said he wished he still had them .