First Look - Battinson Revealed

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: First Look - Battinson Revealed

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

SprangFan wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 am but at this stage of the game, the absolute last character I want to see more of on screen is Batman. By now, he's easily the most over-exposed and least interesting property from either of the two big publishers.
Where movies are concerned, Spider-Man says hello. In less than 20 years, there were/are three series/franchises: the 3 Sam Raimi movies, the 2 Garfield movies, and so far, two Sony/MCU movies with another in pre-production plus an appearance (allegedly) in the Captain Marvel sequel. Even Batman has not been so exposed, at least on films released in the past two decades.
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Having not seen a Batman film since Christian Bale flew away with his ridiculously long goodbye speech to Gordon (technically I saw Batman V Superman but I was too busy laughing at how bad it was to actually pay attention) I don’t care if they make a new Batman movie or not. If they do and it looks good I’ll give it a shot. So far I like the costume, think Patterson is a lousy pick, and when they stick a bunch of villains in the movie it’s usually not a good result.

The director did a good job with the one Apes film I saw, but it’s hard to get your hopes up especially when the modern version of Batman isn’t your Batman.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Fanboys were complaing in 1966 that Adam's Batsuit was nothing like the comic book version. They didn't like that the colors were different, the utility belt was different and the chest emblem was way too low.
"Things are more like they are today, than they've ever been before". :-)

As to Pattinson's chest emblem, perhaps they are harkening back to this comic story.
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (142.41 KiB) Viewed 8203 times
86489940_526842724624275_2694045651192250368_o.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Where movies are concerned, Spider-Man says hello. In less than 20 years, there were/are three series/franchises: the 3 Sam Raimi movies, the 2 Garfield movies, and so far, two Sony/MCU movies with another in pre-production plus an appearance (allegedly) in the Captain Marvel sequel. Even Batman has not been so exposed, at least on films released in the past two decades.
I hear you, but I came in the door already not interested in Spider-Man. Hollywood has burned me out on Batman, but you're right, Sony has been milking Spidey a lot harder and longer. The difference is I didn't bother to watch most of those films, so I'm not as "tired" of him. (Full disclosure, I did end up taking my kids to "Into The Spiderverse" and I LOVED it. Not enough to watch more spider-movies, but enough to buy the Blu-ray. Well...as a $5 Black Friday door-buster deal)
I think the days of non rubber "armored" suits for Bats is long gone, Sprang. Hollywood won't risk deviating from what they think works.
That's why we need more of a break. The Anton Furst rubber suit was radical and innovative in '89 after a 20-year hiatus for live-action Batman, but by now we've seen so many variations on it that it's as trite and cliche as anything in film. Maybe if more years passed before yet another reboot, someone would come up with something as innovative. I'm not an "Arrow" watcher, but if Ollie Queen can crimefight in a fabric suit, surely Bruce Wayne can. Or if not fabric, at least something novel. If -- as rumored -- the director wants to accentuate the "detective" angle, why not something that suggests Phillip Marlowe or Sherlock Holmes instead of Robocop? For instance, an overcoat-and-cloak look like we saw in "Gotham By Gaslight" could look awesome on screen. I have no illusions we'll go back to dance tights and satin capes, but Batman's vibe should be more "vampire" than "Vader."
Fanboys were complaing in 1966 that Adam's Batsuit was nothing like the comic book version. They didn't like that the colors were different, the utility belt was different and the chest emblem was way too low.
"Things are more like they are today, than they've ever been before". :-)
I came in a bit later than '66 (well, I came in in '65, but the only "mobile" I was drooling over at that point was the one hanging over my crib) but I was definitely one of those "fanboys" who said, "the utility belt is 100% wrong, and so is Robin's." Also, Bruce Wayne's hair wasn't dark enough. Oddly I didn't notice the low placement of the emblem, but once it was pointed out to me I couldn't un-see it. I still think that did a lot to fuel the "Adam was fat" myth.

All that said, I don't really care much how they dress Batman and if I still expected creativity I wouldn't go see any movies at all. My issue is that Hollywood's "Batman" is not a character who appeals to me at all. I get the appeal of characters like Harry Callahan and Paul Kersey, but I'm just not that interested in obsessive vengeance and human beings who define themselves by their victimhood or inability to process anger. The world for me is not a hopeless madhouse to be beaten with fists and feet into something I like better. Maybe if I was a bitter teenager with a grudge against humanity I'd dig these flicks a little more.

I wouldn't even put me in the "they should do Batman the way I like him" camp, though, because if I was, I might be obliged to spend money on this stuff again. I'll freely admit I'm viewing modern comics and films as an outsider looking in, and their creators should take my opinions with a grain of salt, because either way, I'm most likely not going to be a customer. Which is to say, unlike for example the average Star Wars fan, I'm not offering opinions with the expectation someone would or should change course accordingly, I'm just griping to gripe. 'Cause I'm old and it's right here in the handbook.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha- same handbook!
I think that's the great thing here, we can talk batsuits and nobody gets their utility belt in a bunch because of a disagreement, and I don't think any of us ever expect "our" Batman to return.

Aside, the low chest emblem was something I never noticed until a few years ago-- and it does make all the difference in the world.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

In the new movie costume, the bat emblem is supposed to be two halves of the gun that killed his parents.
I mentioned it on FB, but didn’t mention it here.

Things about the 1966 costume I noticed
A, chest emblem
B utility belt
C cape length
D. Boot height
E. Eyes , white in books

So even though I had seen comics in barbershops, it wasn’t until the show that I really watched the costume.

In the comics, cape, cowl, boots, and gloves were a lighter blue, and just a few years ago, I realized the shorts were black. When I finally saw the show in color, it was darker. As a 7 year old, I thought this was the difference between the real Batman (Adam West) and the comic book characterization.

Back to Battinson, his costume appears to be fish scale based armor. I don’t care for it.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Well I was realistic enough not to expect whited-out eyes for the cowl. And anything was better than the mirrored lenses they gave Spidey on TV.

I was also used to certain liberties being taken, and let them slide. As a kid, I was much more into Superman than Batman, and George Reeves had a cape that hung too low in the back and too close to the floor, but oh well. Incidentally, I've always believed this is because when Hollywood costumers of that era heard "cape," they thought " Roman soldier. "

Plus even as a wee lad, I could see those shoulder pads under George's shirt.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:25 pm
Plus even as a wee lad, I could see those shoulder pads under George's shirt.
So I wasn’t the only one! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Nolan's Batman was Agent 007 Darth Batman. Snyder's Batman was Charcoal Briquetteman. So, as I've read many complaints elsewhere online about Pattinson's rather thin build and large head, then I'll go ahead and declare (in my best Bugs Bunny as the king voice) - "I dub thee Pez Dispenser Batman".
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I’ve been hopeful about Pattinson as Batman and I continue to be. He seems a great choice for the character. Certainly has the talent, the looks, and the jawline under the cowl. I’ll echo the earlier statement that it’s nice to see the more open faced cowl instead of that silliness Bale wore.

Regarding the costume: at over a year away before release, I’m not going to put much thought, positive or negative, into speculating. All these “the franchise is ruined forever” thoughts were around in 89 with Keaton and have been with us for every film and actor since. (Ok, they were right about Clooney). ;)

“Mulder, if there’s a point, please feel free to come to it”

My point: We know virtually nothing at all about a version of the character that is a year and a half away. This may be a great version and film. As someone who has never really cared for any versions other than Adam West or Michael Keaton, I’ve watched a lot of excitement fade to disappointment or disinterest over the decades. I can hope again and maybe it will be great. I’ve been excited since the announcement of Pattinson, so I’m staying with that.

If I want to watch my favorite version of the character, I have 120 episodes and a film. That’s roughly 62 hours of content. Add in Batman: The Animated Series, the first Keaton film, and the hundreds of Silver Age & Modern Age comic books I read regularly and I have nothing at all to complain about.

To the folks who care to follow the developments over the next year+, this is a site I’m on regularly. They have a section for the films. There are a few set photos people have taken and posted.
https://batman-news.com/
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Of you're still interested, looks like there's new photos of the full suit, and a batcycle:

https://toynewsi.com/414-35693

Don't know if that's Pattinson or a stuntman, but he's rocking the chin! Also, no cape in this scene, but that could mean anything: (1) there's no cape to this suit, (2) he's the first Batman smart enough to leave the cape home when riding a cycle or (3) they plan to put it in later with CGI.

He looks more like Nite Owl, really.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

SprangFan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:42 pm Of you're still interested, looks like there's new photos of the full suit, and a batcycle:

https://toynewsi.com/414-35693

Don't know if that's Pattinson or a stuntman, but he's rocking the chin! Also, no cape in this scene, but that could mean anything: (1) there's no cape to this suit, (2) he's the first Batman smart enough to leave the cape home when riding a cycle or (3) they plan to put it in later with CGI.

He looks more like Nite Owl, really.
SprangFan, that's the stuntman's chin and I'll lay dollars to donuts there's no cape as they'll CGI it in a la Spawn later in post-production. My wife said he looks more like Bugman. Those pictures just show the Nolan influence one more time. An all black, armored suit - only this time with a Mechano Set for a chest logo. Very, very underwhelming. Judging by the Variety comments and those from other sites, this thing is already unintentionally being hilariously looked at. The video of Bugman falling off his motorcycle sure doesn't help matters.

What I will say is for those who offer this might be his initial suit which will evolve, then that means again the dreaded Hollywood ORIGIN movie!! How many times do we have to see young Bruce walking in the alley, then seeing his parents get shot, and then the pearl necklace go flying in slo-mo? Enough already. :roll:
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

For what it's worth regarding Adam's chest logo placement, only once was it properly done (that I've observed) and that's in the season 1 first Joker appearance in the Comedians Hall of Fame museum scenes. Obviously whoever was responsible for placing the bat stickers wasn't working that day and the replacement knew their Bat stuff. My wife looked at Andy's comparison photos and said with the logo at its proper upper positioning Adam looked taller, slimmer, and more muscular. It seems they did him a visual disservice through the series placing it lower but that's 50-odd years in the past now.

Funny thing is as a kid I let the lower boots and slightly different utility belt slide, but I could never get past his logo being too low. That always irked me.