The (Jigsaw) Puzzles are Coming

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

The (Jigsaw) Puzzles are Coming

Post by Jim Akin »

A rainy weekend in isolation prompted me to dig out a jigsaw puzzle I received for Christmas a few years back. I'm not especially skilled at these things, so it certainly helps pass the time. Here's how far I got after spending close to an hour last night, just turning all 1,000 pieces over, and then working the section of the puzzle that's by far the easiest to assemble:

I've got a busy work week ahead, and may not make progress every day, but I'm planning to post my progress to my Facebook friends, so I'll try to do the same here.

Take care, everyone.
Ben Bentley

Re: The (Jigsaw) Puzzles are Coming

Post by Ben Bentley »

Good luck Jim! Rather you than me... haha
dell

Post by dell »

I cant do puzzles - I have cats.
dell
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Actual LOL :lol:

Do we get an occasional update so we can follow along?
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Jim,

I made this one last year and it was a hoot. Best suggested strategy is the time-honored one of completing the outline first and filling in afterward. You already have the center logo as a guide. From there I went with locating, completing, and roughly positioning within the frame the villains' faces. From there it will all flow naturally. One big problem is that there are so many colors you might find yourself going cross-eyed within minutes. I found frequent breaks were needed from the concentration levels. You can always follow Adam's advice to Burt in that one episode and try to complete it upside down! Think of the excellent training for the mind! :P

I have also completed a Thomas Kinkade 1,000 piece puzzle of Batman and allies battling all his villains and a 1,710 pieces (and buildings) 4-d Gotham City puzzle. I love the city puzzle because it brings Gotham City to life in a neat way with a bird's eye/helicopter view over the city where a Bat-fan can look and refer to where so many adventures in the comics have taken place. I still have a few other big ones to complete when I have the room to display. They range from 500 piece ones to a 3,000.

Enjoy the experience. :D
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Here's the progress in the next 24 hours —mostly due to an insomniac hour Sunday night, after I took the previous pic. A few familiar faces are starting to emerge.

I'm following a modified version of the program Yellow Oval has spelled out—alternating between faces and edge pieces. The colors and distinct lettering style of superimposed "sound effects" are also pretty helpful for grouping pieces that belong next to each other. I'm boxed in by my small table and feeling the need to rearrange some of these sub-assemblies, so I may bust out a spatula for the next session. :)

That may not be until the weekend, since I have work deadlines every day the rest of the week, but if I get in a session before then I'll post the results.

BTW, we have a cat as well. At the suggestion of a friend, I cover the pieces with a tablecloth bewteen working sessions. It cuts down the "add a few pieces in passing" factor, but keeps the pieces out of the wrong paws.
High C

Post by High C »

Is it possible to enlarge the photo? If it isn't, I apologize for asking.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

High C wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 am Is it possible to enlarge the photo? If it isn't, I apologize for asking.
I bumped up against the board's maximum file size for attachments (i.e., images you can drag and drop onto a post). I've replaced the attachments with remote image links, so now you should be able to see an enlarged view of both pics.
High C

Post by High C »

That's much better visually. Thanks!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

How is the puzzle coming along?
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Despite a cloth covering, our cat scattered enough pieces that I put the puzzle away. I'm heading to my mom's for an extended stay next week, and I'm bringing it with me for another try. Fingers crossed that the kitty didn't make off with any pieces.