VBC - Another episode viewing watch-along! - Sunday 24th May

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ben Bentley

VBC - Another episode viewing watch-along! - Sunday 24th May

Post by Ben Bentley »

We've been having an absolute blast over the last few weeks watching a randomly selected pair of episodes during our regular Video Bat-Chat sessions and whilst people are still digging it, we're more than happy to continue with this as a feature of VBC.

Don't worry though, there's still plenty of time during these calls for all of the usual discussions and fun conversations that those of you who have stopped by are used to!

This week's Video Bat-Chat call is on:

Sunday 24th May, 2020

12PM PDT / 3PM EDT / 8PM BST / 5AM AEDT

*CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE LIVE CALL: This call has now ended.*

Check back on the day and I will post the link to join the call right here in this thread.
VBC_LOGO5.jpg
We love seeing old and new faces alike. For anyone who hasn't had chance to join in one of these Video Chats as yet and wants to know a little more about how you can participate, here's a refresher on some of the FAQ's...

What is "VBC"?
"VBC" stands for "Video Bat-Chat" - a group video call scheduled by Scott or Ben for a specific time/date here on the 1966 Batman Message Board.

How do I participate in VBC?
It's as simple as clicking the unique URL that either Scott or myself will be posting when the call commences.

Our new incarnation of Video Bat-Chat is built around the group-call functionality of Skype. If you are already a Skype user, the URL will launch your Skype app on either your computer or your cell phone.

You do not however have to be a Skype user nor do you have to install the Skype app if you don't wish. Clicking the link will open in a web browser window allow you to join the call and participate just the same.

Is there any cost to joining in on VBC?
There is zero cost involved.

Skype for personal use is free. You do not even have to register for a Skype account if you do not wish - Video Bat-Chat can be opened in a browser window via Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

Can I "VBC" at any time?

Unlike the previous Video Bat-Chat platform we used (OOVOO), this Skype based version is a "call" with a finite beginning and end, as opposed to the old virtual "room" that could be entered at any time. Think of this less as going to a bar to see who is around and more so heading to meet your pals for coffee at a specific time and place.

So how will the viewing party work and how will we select an episode?

On a practical level it will function just like a normal VBC call - people will join the group call via the Skype link I post on the day in this thread and once within the call we will use a random number generator to select an episode. I will then provide a link in the chat window of the VBC call that will allow everyone to watch the episode selected. No Blu Rays or Streaming Services required, everything needed is free and will be provided within the normal VBC Skype call.

If any other questions or quieries come to mind, be sure to ask away in this thread or alternatively drop myself or Scott a PM.

Join us, won't you?
clavierankh

Re: VBC - Another episode viewing watch-along! - Sunday 24th May

Post by clavierankh »

Ben,
When are you and Scott going to do the chat in cpstume?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

clavierankh wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 am Ben,
When are you and Scott going to do the chat in cpstume?
Ha!

"It'll be a cold day in August..."
Ben Bentley

Re: HAPPENING NOW: VBC - Another episode viewing watch-along! - Sunday 24th May

Post by Ben Bentley »

Today's call is now live!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE LIVE CALL: This call has now ended.
Rayray

Post by Rayray »

Aw, I missed it again! Here’s hoping I can join you folks next time.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

We watched Fine Feathered Finks/Penguin's A Jinx. Great fun
Rayray

Post by Rayray »

I am thinking of starting a groupwatch like this for another series. How do you manage it?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Rayray wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:42 pm I am thinking of starting a groupwatch like this for another series. How do you manage it?
For the video-chat aspect we are using the Group Call function of Skype. Each week I then upload the randomly selected episodes to my personal Dropbox account and share a private link within the chat window of of that week's VBC call with whoever is participating. It's then a case of couting down and hitting play at the same time. Most participants use headphones or mute their microphones so as not create a feedback loop or sound bleed for others, this allows us to talk and discuss with each other in real time whilst watching the show. It's been a TON of fun so far. You should definitely pop by and join us at some point and check it out for yourself.

I know there are other platforms out there that allow you to "broadcast" a video feed and some people host watchalongs that way, but from the research I did at one point it seems that those methods are intended for people to participate via text chat functions, whereas because we are incorporating the "Viewing Party" concept into our existing Video Bat-Chat model, it was important to me that we were able to audibly talk in realtime and genuinely have the enjoyment of watching the show with other fans as though we were in the same room. Doing it privately via Skype and Dropbox also negates any legal rammifications of illegally broadcasting content that I do not personally own the distribution rights for. Our method is more akin to having friends over to hang out and watch TV together, which is exactly the vibe we wanted Video Bat-Chat to be when Scott originally set up the first incarnation of it back in late 2009.
Rayray

Post by Rayray »

Thank you, Ben!