New Batman Movie

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batman65

New Batman Movie

Post by Batman65 »

Well, I stumbled across this here tonite. Maybe some of you have seen this, maybe not. My personal feeling here...I am tired of these ridiculous looking rubber suits and car that everybody is trying to reinvent..enough already. I never saw BvS, not one minute of it, and this, at least to me, looks uninteresting. I wish they would just make Batman resemble the Batman that we all grew up with, not necessarily 66 mind you, but something that looks like all those great comics. I think they need to stop with the movies now. Your thoughts guys?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6smjt66h4
greatlakes6

Re: New Batman Movie

Post by greatlakes6 »

I completely agree.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

They'll never give up on Batman movies as long as they keep making money, and so far Batman is the only character DC/Warner can successfully market with any consistency at all. Expect a new Bat-film every couple of years from now til doomsday (assuming that's more than a couple years off).

I suspect eventually we'll come full circle and the "radical" and "inventive" thing to do will be to have a Batman who looks more like the old-school model, isn't wrapped in rubber and doesn't drive a bullet proof murder machine. Maybe even one who acts honorably, and isn't borderline psycho. But I may not live that long and stopped caring a long time ago.

About 20 years ago I was missing the Barry Allen version of The Flash -- dead at that point for nearly a decade -- when it occurred to me he was better off dead. If he returned from the grave, he'd be handled by the chuckleheads making comics at that point, whereas "dead" he was safe in the past, or the "grave", and beyond their reach. That's pretty much how I feel about Batman now: they can call whoever that is running around in the cape and ears "Batman" but it's not the guy I knew. That guy lives only in the past, and I'd just as soon have him stay there. In the past, he's safe: if he returns to the present, he'll be sullied and disgraced. I like him where he is.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I appreciate all of the different forms the Dark Knight has taken throughout his 80 year career. This new film doesn’t look great (and I liked the Nolan films), but at the end of the day, we will all still have the classic Batman to look back to. No movie can ever take that away, so I always welcome a new interpretation, since something new can’t do any harm to, say, the Adam West version of Batman.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Bryan Grantham

Post by Bryan Grantham »

Sprangfan, thank you for putting into words something I have felt for many years. When Batman '89 came out, I was discussing the rubber suit issue with a fellow fan who pointed out Batman wouldn't survive in a cloth uniform. I replied that anyone can wear bulletproof items underneath their clothing...in the Jokers first appearance in Batman #1, as Joker is firing at Batman and saying "Why don't you die?", Batman is thinking 'Hasn't this guy ever heard of a bullet-proof vest?'...so this was addressed way back then. Same goes for the rest of the outfit.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Personally, I gave up on Hollywood - both the big screen and small - a few years back. I realize now that Hollyweird will never make a proper Batman film because as decades go by every successive generation that's employed there understands less and less about the source material of not just Batman, but all the different old movie franchises and hits. God help us if they ever decided to redo JAWS!!!! :roll: The way I see it now is kind of like how SprangFan puts it about leaving stuff in the past and simply enjoying what was. That seems to be the successful strategy. Still, there is some inner-lamentation for me whether watching old shows or films, in which I keep asking why can't they make anything decent anymore? :(
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

I don’t read current Batman comics but apparently the new movies are influenced by them. In that sense, why stop making movies when they are representing today’s Batman? No one is claiming that they’re trying to update “our” Batman—they’re simply staying within the present times.

The Nolan films are great but trying to “make Batman grounded” has always been ridiculous in my opinion. It’s a comic book! The medium was largely created to portray events that existed outside “real life”, hence talking animals, flying men and alien beasts. Granted, trying to make a movie out of some of those inane Batman stories of the ‘50s wouldn’t work, but I’d be 100% behind a riff on Batman ‘66, meaning crazy rogues gallery villains, a Batcave beneath Wayne Manor, a Batphone directly to Batman, a teen Robin and everything else that the ‘66 show absolutely nailed. Update the plots If they must—even update the costume—but showcasing the things that made Batman the most popular comic in history would only highlight the greatness of the source material.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Batman has changed several times over his published existence, so it should come as no surprise that movies treat the character the same way, although there were comic versions that were bad from the start, like the latter half of the Golden Age and into early Silver, where the character almost took a dive into a pit of no return.

Some say the want to see an "original" Batman on screen, well, looking at his earliest appearances in Detective, that meant a darker, violent character--far removed from the silly, surrogate dad version seen in the aforementioned period of comics. All things considered, the Batman film adaptations of the 21st century have--by far--been the best representations of the character. Nothing else come close, or compromised so much of the character to fit some often arbitrary and creatively lacking version.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

For me, they have made this character so unrecognizeable now, that I just don’t care about him anymore. This just is not Batman that I knew. These new suits with absurd chest logos and heavy battle armor, IMO, just looks ridiculous. At least (for me) Keaton’s suit really didn’t look that bad.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Something like this costume would be interesting

https://youtu.be/F5SLsnn8eYs
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Lou Szabo wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:39 pm Something like this costume would be interesting

https://youtu.be/F5SLsnn8eYs
That resembles the Batman I remember. That would be ok with me.