Keaton Back As Batman?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batman65

Keaton Back As Batman?

Post by Batman65 »

I just read this here this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/m ... r-BB15QlLa
Ben Bentley

Re: Keaton Back As Batman?

Post by Ben Bentley »

Definitely an intriuiging multi-verse idea and at this point they may as well throw as much stuff at the wall in the hopes of it sticking, especially if the things being thrown already have a built-in fondness/following.

I know Barry Allen can run pretty fast, but he'd have to break the time-space continium for this line from the June 2020 to be true...
Flash is eyeing a London start in spring of 2020.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The Flashpoint series was gimmicky but it was the last modern Batman story I read and liked-- Bruce Wayne is the one who is killed during the mugging and his dad, Thomas, is the one who becomes Batman. There is also talk the actor from The Walking Dead (I don't watch the show so I don't know his name) who played Thomas Wayne in one of the Zack Snyder movies is on tap to play the character again.

Keaton's Batman is said to be a sort of Nick Fury for the DC Universe. I'd love to see him back for a full on Dark Knight Returns but I doubt Hollywood could get it right.

How many Batman films have there been? A LOT. For me personally it's only hit the mark in 1943 and in 1966-- the rest of the Batmen haven't done much for me, but Keaton was the best of the lot.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

For all of the controversy at the time (mr mom as Batman) I actually think Keaton did a good job. As Andy said, better than most of the others. If the writing had been better, it could have been a great movie. It would definitely be interesting to see him return in the role.
Mr. Comic Book

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:17 am Keaton's Batman is said to be a sort of Nick Fury for the DC Universe. I'd love to see him back for a full on Dark Knight Returns but I doubt Hollywood could get it right.
Even if I didn't violently despise The Dark Knight Returns and all the damage it caused to the Batman mythos in the long term, that story is beyond played out. It's been adapted in animation twice (three times if you count the homage on Brave & the Bold), Gotham borrowed from it for its version of the Mutant street gang, and Batman v. Superman mixed and matched it with the '90s-era "Death of Superman." There's nothing fresh to do with it. And frankly, the fact that it keeps getting milked over and over again is just another mark of how stale Batman has become. We've long passed the point where the franchise needs to move on.

Besides, there are countless other ways the concept of an older Bruce Wayne/Batman could be depicted. I'd rather see something fresh than another rehash of a tired old story I hated the first time around.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I'm a fan of the two Keaton films and have a substantial amount of Keaton Batman in my Bat collection. My personal opinion on this? I really wish Warner Bros. and DC Comics would just go bankrupt, close down, and then dry up and blow away in the wind already. They are both so dysfunctional and haven't offered anything but disappointment for the longest time.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I like Keaton and I'm okay with his Batman, but I'm out.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I can understand not liking where TDKR took the character after Miller was done, In the hands of lesser creators Batman devolved into an angry psychopath. That wasn’t what Miller did in the original series. His Batman easily could have been the Adam West Batman facing what Gotham had become after his retirement. It was about an aged hero getting back out there.

The scene where he tells a little kid to watch his language right in the middle of his fight with the Joker fits with our Batman perfectly.

There is also genuine emotion between characters and the series ends on an upbeat and hopeful note.

Now all the sequels etc? Avoid them.

I also don’t want to see this adapted into live action. The animated version they did missed the mark because it lacked the Raymond Chandler-esque narration from the books, but if they bring Keaton back its a nice homage to the best of the rubber suit Batman’s, which still, quite frankly, are not my thing.

But TDKR is a great end story to Batman’s career.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:17 am The Flashpoint series was gimmicky but it was the last modern Batman story I read and liked-- Bruce Wayne is the one who is killed during the mugging and his dad, Thomas, is the one who becomes Batman. There is also talk the actor from The Walking Dead (I don't watch the show so I don't know his name) who played Thomas Wayne in one of the Zack Snyder movies is on tap to play the character again.
Jeffrey Dean Morgan who also played The Comedian in Watchmen.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11