TO THE BATPOLES #138: Batman Forever: “Holey Plot, Batman!”

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #138: Batman Forever: “Holey Plot, Batman!”

Post by bat-rss »

Is Batman Forever a comedy? Or is it an action movie with a few funny parts? Is it a throwback to the ’66 series, or a blend of every iteration of Batman? Is it camp? The cut scenes regarding Bruce’s memories of his father’s diary prompt us to consider: is it better to have a lame payoff, or no payoff at all?

Meanwhile, “Holy Deja Vu!” is back, and Paul fills us in on character actor of Karnaby Katz fame, Robert Long!

Plus, your mail about episode #135 Batman ’66 Comics, the Gray Ghost, and Nostalgia.

https://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/138-ba ... lot-batman
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #138: Batman Forever: “Holey Plot, Batman!”

Post by High C »

Fun discussion, but in terms of '66 influences, how about the fact there were two 'sexy dames who were members of (one of) the heavy's gang,' per the Jan. 27, 1966 Dozier memo. :lol:
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I am looking forward to listening to this one fellas. I have always thought Forever was a mostly great script and suffered by too much Schumacher. Except the "Intruder Alert"business, that's pretty bad no matter how you slice it.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

I was so excited to see this podcast in my feed. I had all my gear ready. My tent. My Bug Repellant Bat Spray. My pile of plastic logs that light up to simulate a campfire. And, of course, the weiners.

Everything was set up and plugged in. And then Paul comes along with this rainshower of a comment: "The period of camp has passed..." "[the newer movies] are different than camp. This is more postmodernist than camp."

I want to be upset. But deep down, I know that Paul is right. The standout joke of the film, the "Holey Rusted Metal, Batman!" - is not camp. Or even camping. It's holy rusted meta, bromandude.

The same might even be said of the heroes costumes. I'll argue that the Schumacher suits are the what the Burton costume always secretly wanted to be. To go a step further with the suits in Batman Forever - with fake nipples and sculpted gluteus maximuses - is perhaps Schumacher's way of poking fun at the sexualization that is implied (or directly expressed?) with the sculpted, rubber, muscular body that is covering Michael Keaton's 5'7 frame. I can see Burton and Schumacher sitting around a poker table. "I SEE your overly muscular rubber suit and I RAISE you one Bat bulge!"

Lack of true camp aside, I do enjoy the movie. Because it's a unique take on the Batman character that probably won't be repeated in a live-action film again. It's tough to imagine Warner Bros allowing Batman to be so openly made fun of this way today.

Can't wait for you to review 'Batman and Robin!' :D I believe Schumacher was quoted during production as shouting, "Remember! You're a CARTOON!"

Just one more thing. I got a very kind message from Tim via Patreon asking where I've been and I just want to say how much I appreciate it. I was in the hospital a few months ago after another pulmonary embolism. I'm OK now. Don't take a single day for granted my friends!
- Boy Genius
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 am
Just one more thing. I got a very kind message from Tim via Patreon asking where I've been and I just want to say how much I appreciate it. I was in the hospital a few months ago after another pulmonary embolism. I'm OK now. Don't take a single day for granted my friends!
I am so happy to hear you are doing better! All the best!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

As for the podcast, I liked Tim's comment about how it seemed they let Stanley Ralph Ross in the writer's room!

Similarly, it seemed as if Oscar Rudolph were directing instead of Joel Schumacher, because not once was Tommy Lee Jones asked to dial it down from about 11.5. Worse yet, as you guys alluded to, it seemed nobody informed him that Two-Face has that name for a reason, the duality thing and all that. He ain't just Joker 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:48 pm
Dan E Kool wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 am
I am so happy to hear you are doing better! All the best!
Thanks, buddy! Same to you!
- Boy Genius