TO THE BATPOLES #137: Yvonne Craig: We get a kick out of this memoir

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #137: Yvonne Craig: We get a kick out of this memoir

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 pm
dell wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 pm Honestly trying to improve Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine seems like a job for Sissyphus; and I'm guessing he'd rather stick to the boulder.
At least I didn't suggest re-titling it Dr. Goldfoot and The Siren Machine
But you know you wanted to! :lol:
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:43 am
High C wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 pm
dell wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 pm Honestly trying to improve Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine seems like a job for Sissyphus; and I'm guessing he'd rather stick to the boulder.
At least I didn't suggest re-titling it Dr. Goldfoot and The Siren Machine
But you know you wanted to! :lol:
Well, this is true!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 pm Interesting episode, guys.

Some fans have complained about the nature of some of the stories in Ward's book, but Craig's book was in extended orbit of that "world" by claiming that she dated Elvis while he was married. Some might say "well, she's just telling the truth", but the nature of what she did was not character-building kind of behavior, and one might argue that it should not have been shared. To me, it comes off as seeking a "credit" by association with one of the biggest stars in history. Did she ever have second thoughts about what that meant or how it could have affected Priscilla? Some might be compelled to jump in to say how adultery was common in the entertainment business, but of course the "everybody's doing it" idea is never an excuse for that kind of behavior.
It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't remember her saying she specifically dated Elvis when he was married. From what I've read, she dated Elvis during the filming of Kissin' Cousins, which came out in 1964 and may have been filmed in 1963. Elvis and Priscilla didn't get married until 1967. We know now that Elvis had Priscilla back in Memphis, but I don't think that was common knowledge at the time, so Ms. Craig may not have known anything about Priscilla. In fact, if people had known about Priscilla, that probably would have been the end of Elvis's career.

If she and Elvis dated during Kissin' Cousins, it would have been right after he had broken up with Ann-Margret. Kissin' Cousins came out before Viva Las Vegas, but it came out after since it required more post-production work...ie care was taken on Viva Las Vegas and Kissin' Cousins was a quickie. If fact, it was an embarrassment and really signaled how Elvis's career was about to bottom out. If Ms. Craig and Elvis dated during It Happened at the World's Fair, that would have been 1961 or 1962.

Well, that was way too serious. On a lighter note, the actor who played Yvonne's characters father in It Happened at the World's Fair was Olan Soule, who voiced Batman on the 60s Filmation series and on the Super Friends in the 1970s.

Plus, when I got my copy of the book from Yvonne Craig's website, I bought a picture of her with Elvis from Kissin' Cousins just so I could joke that I had an autographed picture of Elvis...it just wasn't autographed by Elvis. Ok, I got a few Batgirl pics, too. :D
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

gothosmansion wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Some fans have complained about the nature of some of the stories in Ward's book, but Craig's book was in extended orbit of that "world" by claiming that she dated Elvis while he was married. Some might say "well, she's just telling the truth", but the nature of what she did was not character-building kind of behavior, and one might argue that it should not have been shared. To me, it comes off as seeking a "credit" by association with one of the biggest stars in history. Did she ever have second thoughts about what that meant or how it could have affected Priscilla? Some might be compelled to jump in to say how adultery was common in the entertainment business, but of course the "everybody's doing it" idea is never an excuse for that kind of behavior.
It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't remember her saying she specifically dated Elvis when he was married. From what I've read, she dated Elvis during the filming of Kissin' Cousins, which came out in 1964 and may have been filmed in 1963. Elvis and Priscilla didn't get married until 1967. We know now that Elvis had Priscilla back in Memphis, but I don't think that was common knowledge at the time, so Ms. Craig may not have known anything about Priscilla. In fact, if people had known about Priscilla, that probably would have been the end of Elvis's career.

If she and Elvis dated during Kissin' Cousins, it would have been right after he had broken up with Ann-Margret. Kissin' Cousins came out before Viva Las Vegas, but it came out after since it required more post-production work...ie care was taken on Viva Las Vegas and Kissin' Cousins was a quickie. If fact, it was an embarrassment and really signaled how Elvis's career was about to bottom out. If Ms. Craig and Elvis dated during It Happened at the World's Fair, that would have been 1961 or 1962.
Yvonne reports "dating" Elvis during both films, but that Priscilla visited the set of It Happened and Yvonne knew she was Elvis' girlfriend. During the filming of Kissin' Cousins, she suspected that Elvis and Priscilla were married but couldn't get anyone to confirm it, so she struck up a conversation with one of Elvis' "henchmen" (did they wear black turtlenecks with the titles of Elvis songs in white lettering on their chests?) and during that talk asked "Well, what does Elvis' wife think?" and the henchman responded "I don't know... oh, uh, Elvis isn't married." Yvonne adds "to this day, I think he really was." We're left to guess just how intimate Yvonne's "dating" with Elvis was, or whether she backed off from it once she was convinced that Elvis was secretly married.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 amso she struck up a conversation with one of Elvis' "henchmen" (did they wear black turtlenecks with the titles of Elvis songs in white lettering on their chests?)
Enter "Hound Dog," "Devil In Disguise," and ... "A Big Hunk of Love"?
- Boy Genius
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 am
gothosmansion wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Yvonne reports "dating" Elvis during both films, but that Priscilla visited the set of It Happened and Yvonne knew she was Elvis' girlfriend. During the filming of Kissin' Cousins, she suspected that Elvis and Priscilla were married but couldn't get anyone to confirm it, so she struck up a conversation with one of Elvis' "henchmen" (did they wear black turtlenecks with the titles of Elvis songs in white lettering on their chests?) and during that talk asked "Well, what does Elvis' wife think?" and the henchman responded "I don't know... oh, uh, Elvis isn't married." Yvonne adds "to this day, I think he really was." We're left to guess just how intimate Yvonne's "dating" with Elvis was, or whether she backed off from it once she was convinced that Elvis was secretly married.
Thanks for the clarification. I apologize if you mentioned it on the show and I just missed that part. I read the book when it first came out, but haven't read it since. It isn't like those favorite comics that I reread multiple times. Plus, I unfortunately, have read multiple books about Elvis and it is hard to remember what I've read where. I should have learned earlier, but it is best just to enjoy the work of an entertainer and not find out too much about them. Elvis is my favorite singer.

Nah, unfortunately, Elvis's Bodyguards didn't wear their black turtlenecks with Elvis songs. Rumor is that Colonel Parker, the real villain in the Elvis story, was paying some of them to spy on Elvis and report back to him. He wouldn't have allowed "Big Hunk O' Love" on a shirt because he hated it. I can see the Colonel as the Penguin though. More trivia....The Penguin played Elvis's dad in Stay Away, Joe (and take the advice of the title because it is a TERRIBLE movie) and the movie poster mentioned his Penguin past.
Attachments
stayawayjoepostr.jpg
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:33 am
bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 amso she struck up a conversation with one of Elvis' "henchmen" (did they wear black turtlenecks with the titles of Elvis songs in white lettering on their chests?)
Burning Love was the name of the song, to be fair, as in 'I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love.'

'Quoting song titles accurately is essential to good crimefighting, old chum.'
'Gosh yes, Batman. Holy Casey Kasem!'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
High C

Post by High C »

Henchman: 'Elvis, we put Batman and Robin in the deathtrap.'
Elvis: 'Thank you. Thank you very much.'

gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

High C wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:34 am
Burning Love was the name of the song, to be fair, as in 'I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love.'

They are two different songs. If you've never understood why Elvis was so popular, give these a listen and you'll understand.

Big Hunk O' Love (1958)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9GgkE-Est4

Burning Love (1972)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2VYAtqRe0
High C

Post by High C »

gothosmansion wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 am

They are two different songs. If you've never understood why Elvis was so popular, give these a listen and you'll understand.

Big Hunk O' Love (1958)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9GgkE-Est4

Burning Love (1972)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2VYAtqRe0
My bad. Apologies to DEK.

Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

High C wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:38 am
Henchman: 'Elvis, we put Batman and Robin in the deathtrap.'
Elvis: 'Thank you. Thank you very much.'
"Elvis has left the villain's lair" doesn't have quite the same impact...
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 am We're left to guess just how intimate Yvonne's "dating" with Elvis was, or whether she backed off from it once she was convinced that Elvis was secretly married.
As a participant, it would have been easy for her to clarify that. Instead, what we were left with is the strong impression that she was dating him while he was married, and was not necessarily concerned about that. It appears--above all else--the bait on the hook was the affair with Elvis...all other considerations (like regretting the affair if he was married at the time) were swept to the side.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:32 am
bat-rss wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 am We're left to guess just how intimate Yvonne's "dating" with Elvis was, or whether she backed off from it once she was convinced that Elvis was secretly married.
As a participant, it would have been easy for her to clarify that. Instead, what we were left with is the strong impression that she was dating him while he was married, and was not necessarily concerned about that. It appears--above all else--the bait on the hook was the affair with Elvis...all other considerations (like regretting the affair if he was married at the time) were swept to the side.
I didn't get that impression at all. It feels like the use of 'we" is a broad stroke for what is really one's personal take. I saw no baiting either. Just saying. But from any perspective, bias is bias in any direction.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:46 am
gothosmansion wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 am

They are two different songs...
My bad. Apologies to DEK.
ZOINKS!
- Boy Genius