From Henchwoman to Bat-Villainess?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Riddler Fan

From Henchwoman to Bat-Villainess?

Post by Riddler Fan »

Aside from Siren who actually made the transition from henchwoman to Bat-Villainess, what other henchwoman would you consider worthy of being able to take on B&R as a certified Bat-Villainess?
High C

Re: From Henchwoman to Bat-Villainess?

Post by High C »

FWIW, I don't consider Siren a henchwoman per se, because she wasn't with Riddler for most of the episode. She was more like an independent contractor, if you will, at least in my opinion.

As for the question, I'd say Myrna Fahey as Blaze, False-Face's assistant. She had a lot to do and she did it well and had an attitude.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
exm

Post by exm »

Queenie has my vote. Some of the first-season molls didn't seem to be so defined by their worship of the super-villain
High C

Post by High C »

HONK wrote:Queenie has my vote. Some of the first-season molls didn't seem to be so defined by their worship of the super-villain
Nancy Kovack certainly was deserving and had the acting chops for a larger role. I agree.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
mattman

Post by mattman »

Lady Prudence has got what it takes to be a villainess. Why, she was even better than Ffogg and Peasoup anyway
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

I always thought some of those henchmen who appear when the fight starts should get a chance to become proper villains. Not necessarily effective villains, but a chance to branch out and grow into their profession a bit. Who are these guys? Why do three of them suddenly become six or seven, whenever there's a fight? What's their story? Don't they deserve a voice?

But I guess a bunch of paunchy, middle-aged, balding fellows wouldn't look very good when packaged in tights. Costume design could be tricky.... :?
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I wouldn't necessarily promote Queenie from henchmoll to villainess, but Nancy Kovack herself should have been promoted to full-fledged villainess.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Diane McBain's Lisa in the first Mad Hatter appearance was certainly villainous, but I'm not sure she could stretch that for two episodes as a arch-villain in her own right.

Sherry Jackson--Pauline in the Riddler's silent film caper--also played her role with plenty of contempt for the Duo, but her voice didn't really inspire a lot of danger.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Dr. Shimel wrote:Diane McBain's Lisa in the first Mad Hatter appearance was certainly villainous, but I'm not sure she could stretch that for two episodes as a arch-villain in her own right.

Sherry Jackson--Pauline in the Riddler's silent film caper--also played her role with plenty of contempt for the Duo, but her voice didn't really inspire a lot of danger.

Both were my choices with a slight edge to Diane McBain. I think both could be terrific villanesses if giving a good story and a well developed character.
exm

Post by exm »

Yeah, second the Diane McBain pick!

Pauline was elevated to a super-villainess named "Drama Queen" is several tales by Mr. Deathtrap.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

I'd also lean towards Anna Gram from the Astin Riddler two parter. She thoroughly enjoyed being a henchwoman and was totally in love with Riddler. I love how disappointed she is when she learns she can't go with Riddler on the underwater bank robbery. I'd have loved to have seen her in a wetsuit!!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

HONK wrote: Pauline was elevated to a super-villainess named "Drama Queen" is several tales by Mr. Deathtrap.
To quote Batman (during his interrogation of her in Gordon's office): "A failed actress...A star who was never born."
Bob

Post by Bob »

They were just arm candy. None were villainess worthy. Chief O-Hara could even handle them
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Bob wrote:They were just arm candy. None were villainess worthy. Chief O-Hara could even handle them
He had a problem with False Face's vertically-challenged henchman, so I'm not so sure:
Attachments
FalseFace.jpg
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

High C made a good choice for a henchwoman to elevate to villainess. Blaze, in her first episode, was fantastically evil, smart, and displayed the right amount of arrogance / confidence. In her second ep she had fallen in love with Batman and was reformed. If, however, she recovered her criminal senses she could really be outstanding.

That Wierdo Cage asked about those nameless henchmen who routinely show up to help beat up Batman and Robin. They may just be a bunch of mean guys who like to fight and happen to be nearby. They tend to dress as henchmen first just to fit in. (Occasionally, like in the Joker story involving keys and time, the bonus henchmen's presence is explained. The spare goons in the fight at the fur salon were "recruits".)

My own choice of a henchgirl character to elevate to villainess would be Legs Parker. Her mother thought she didn't belong in crime so she has a chip on her shoulder and is out to uphold tradition by carrying on the family business.

Oh, and thanks to HONK! for remembering hechwoman Pauline's stint as Drama Queen on TwoF's site.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!