DC fandome Batman 66 - Batman Beyond

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jimmy L. 66

DC fandome Batman 66 - Batman Beyond

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I found this listing for this '66 Batman and Batman Beyond Panel at DC Fan dome Tomorrow..
Only 5 mins long but might be cool.

https://schedule.dcfandome.com/e/5f343a ... 00172449a3

At 11:50 am. (PT)
"The Batman of Swinging Sixties culture clashes with the Batman of the far-flung future when Batman Beyond and his mentor, Old Bruce Wayne, intercept a broadcast of the 1966 Batman TV show! 5 min"
I will try to check that out.
dell

Re: DC fandome Batman 66

Post by dell »

Hmmm... Not exactly flattering to our favorite Batman.
dell
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

That's what I thought. Kevin slips a bit in my Batman rating due to this.
High C

Post by High C »

A bad Mystery Science Theater ripoff.

What's that about bullies--they have to knock someone else down to make themselves feel better? :| :| :|
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

That was the equivalent of not being able to say anything as your best friend is being mocked and bullied. Real classy DC.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Lou Szabo

Batman Beyond meets Batman ‘66 video clip

Post by Lou Szabo »

Don’t know who did it, but it’s pretty funny.

Batman Beyond meets Batman ‘66, sort of...

https://youtu.be/INlo3XzQSIo
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BAT 77

Re: DC fandome Batman 66 - Batman Beyond

Post by BAT 77 »

Yeah, I didn't think it was that funny or clever. They mostly commented on the same tropes everyone else goes on about. Yes, we know Cesar didn't shave his mustache. Yes, Adam's Batman had a "dad bod" in comparison to Batfleck. Yes, Burt Ward is wearing flesh colored tights. It's just like riffing on Star Trek by just commenting on how Shatner delivered his lines or how many times McCoy said "I'm a doctor, not a..."

I'm sure we've all riffed on the show from time to time, but I'm also sure it's with love and respect. But this was not very original, and, yeah, it did leave a bad taste in my mouth, metaphorically speaking.

Also, I believe there were virtually NO panels about the actual comics during this "Fandome" event. Plus I can't help but be cynical about the whole affair happening two weeks after the company fired 20% of it's staff. Way to pat yourself on the back there, DC.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

As I told the folks in our Video Bat-Chat session whilst we were discussing it last week... "I would have laughed, if it was funny."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Any version of filmed Batman can be laughed at; MAD's original Batman TV satire (#105 from September, 1966) already zeroed in on certain obvious character tendencies or series tropes in MAD's then-sharp, pull-no-punches manner, but its funny that they (or writer Lou Silverstone) let the show "have it", which is one of the hallmarks of a good satire. That said, DC Fandome's take was in that tradition--not entirely successful, but Bruce's reactions were in that good vein.
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

BAT 77 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:40 pm Yeah, I didn't think it was that funny or clever. They mostly commented on the same tropes everyone else goes on about. Yes, we know Cesar didn't shave his mustache. Yes, Adam's Batman had a "dad bod" in comparison to Batfleck. Yes, Burt Ward is wearing flesh colored tights. It's just like riffing on Star Trek by just commenting on how Shatner delivered his lines or how many times McCoy said "I'm a doctor, not a..."
Resurrecting this thread because I meant to agree with this point back when. I don't mind fun being poked at the show, but could you be original and not do the same boilerplate gags that have been done a thousand times? Give me Stanley Ralph Ross and a pound of borscht over this brand of 'comedy' any time, and that's saying something.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Commenting without watching it because I roll like that; I concur that any version of Batman could be laughed at-- Keaton can't turn his head in his suit. I'd love to see a guy in that Batman suit drop in on my Krava Maga defense class-- he'd be wiped up in seconds. Affleck looks bloated and Bale's face squeezes out of his mask and his voice is laughable. I think it took guts for Adam to wear tights and for most of the series he's in much better shape than Shatner was on Star Trek. It was stuntman Hubie Kerns who was paunchy and the belt isn't flattering.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Thanks for sharing this! Seeing Kevin Conroy/Batman Beyond/66 West all in one was fun.
- Boy Genius