batbelfry

Metal Earth Classic Batmobile kit?

Post by batbelfry »

Has anyone here built one of these?

https://www.innovatoys.com/classic-tv-s ... etal-earth

A. Pennyworth

Re: Metal Earth Classic Batmobile kit?

Post by A. Pennyworth »

I have 2, opened one up and never put it together, very small pieces and just wasnt into doing it then and never went back to complete it.
dell

Post by dell »

I have several metal earth kits as gifts; several planes that like A. Pennyworth I never put together. However, I have done some photo-etch metal parts for 1/35th scale tanks. You WILL need a metal bending tool if you have more than a few pieces to bend (look for a photo-etch bending tool - preferably made of metal). You MUST also practice before you use the real parts. Hobby Lobby sells thin sheets of aluminum or brass you could use for practice. Get the thinnest stuff they have.

These models are very fiddly, but doable once you understand what you are doing. You MUST bend each part in the proper order if it has multiple bends on one piece. In my experience the instructions are very vague and easy to misinterpret. Make sure you know what they want you to do BEFORE you bend a part. Also, if you need a 90 degree bend, bend it to 90 and not 87 or 93 degrees. A sloppy bend may seem like it fits in this step of the assembly, but enough sloppy bends will add up and cause problems in future steps.

I am not trying to warn you off (really, I'm not); I just want you to know that these can be complicated and frustrating, especially for a first timer. If this is your first you might want to get two in case you screw up some of the parts.

Get readers or a magnifying glass if your eyes aren't that great for detail work. Some of those bend lines are very hard to see.

What you need:
A good bending tool
Readers or a magnifying glass mounted in a stand (you need both hands free)
A cutter to cut the metal parts from the fret
Some good metal files to take off the burrs after you cut the parts off
Super glue if you need to glue the parts together (you may not need this)
dell
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I was bought this as a gift at some point in the last couple of years but alas I have never gotten around to building it! It's not like we've been short of rainy days either...
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Same here. Bought it and pick it up every now and then and put it back down. Lol
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is as far as I got! Just removed one piece.
But this will show you the scale.
Attachments
metalbat.jpg