Batcowl advice

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
BATPRESLEY

Batcowl advice

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Anyone have any BAT-advice on making the cowl? I am not an experienced seamstress and i would like some help with making the cowl. I have bought a fiberglass undershell and am on a budget to complete my 1966 Batman costume by Halloween any ideas? or advice? I am looking into buying the chuck willams batman costume pattern and using the cowl pattern, but I'm not sure how well it'll turn out me not being experienced at sewing. So if any one has done the chuck willams pattern or knows any tips on the cowls construction please let me know thank you!

-Presley
Jimmy L. 66

Re: Batcowl advice

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I would recommend getting the Williams patterns.
No, it will not look the same as if Lynne and Chuck make it.
I would recommend having a seamstress sew the cowl.
No. It will not look like Lynne and Cuck made it.
Even though the materials are similar, and in some cases exactly the same, you cannot replace years of extensive research, experience, and talent..
However, most folks will recognize who you are dressed as.
Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm I would recommend getting the Williams patterns.
No, it will not look the same as if Lynne and Cuck make it.
Even though the materials are similar, and in some cases exactly the same, you cannot replace years of extensive research, experience, and talent..
Thank you very much i know it wont look as perfect and perfected as Chuck's cowls but it'll look close enough i hope.:) Do you know how difficult the pattern is? I am just a beginner and i don't have much money to pay someone to make the cowl, so I will have to do it myself any BAT-advice for me?
-Presley
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

BATPRESLEY wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm
Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm I would recommend getting the Williams patterns.
Thank you very much i know it wont look as perfect and perfected as Chuck's cowls but it'll look close enough i hope.:) Do you know how difficult the pattern is? I am just a beginner and i don't have much money to pay someone to make the cowl, so I will have to do it myself any BAT-advice for me?
-Presley
I have to admit, I haven't met anyone who has attempted the pattern for the cowl themselves so I have no idea as to it's ease of use but I have owned quite a few cowls and have marveled over their construction and complexity for years. But, if you have never sewn before, this might be more than a bit of challenge. Sort of like, "Hey, I've never played tennis before. How hard is it to get into Wimbledon?"
Nevertheless, good luck and let us see your progress and share your experiences with this.
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Scott Sebring wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm
BATPRESLEY wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm
-Presley
I have to admit, I haven't met anyone who has attempted the pattern for the cowl themselves so I have no idea as to it's ease of use but I have owned quite a few cowls and have marveled over their construction and complexity for years. But, if you have never sewn before, this might be more than a bit of challenge. Sort of like, "Hey, I've never played tennis before. How hard is it to get into Wimbledon?"
Nevertheless, good luck and let us see your progress and share your experiences with this.
Thank you very much, I know I am in a little over my head but I am willing to try my very best and attempt after attempt to get it just right:) I am quiet good at crafting things and I'm quite creative so we will see what happens and I have plans to post progress on cowl and suit with final reveal of costume when all is completed :)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Welcome to our Message Board! Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Ben Bentley wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:48 pm Welcome to our Message Board! Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!
Thank you very much and thank you for having me! :)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

This is a pretty advanced gig for a first time sew project- if you decide to try it take lots of pics and keep us posted along the way.
I took the patterns to my tailor and he was thrilled with them- he quoted me $400 which is about what he charges me for a sports coat. I’ve yet to have him do it because I have two Chucks already, as well as a repainted Mattel and an Owaga Studios cowl, and I’m out of room, but someday maybe.
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:56 pm This is a pretty advanced gig for a first time sew project- if you decide to try it take lots of pics and keep us posted along the way.
I took the patterns to my tailor and he was thrilled with them- he quoted me $400 which is about what he charges me for a sports coat. I’ve yet to have him do it because I have two Chucks already, as well as a repainted Mattel and an Owaga Studios cowl, and I’m out of room, but someday maybe.
Yes will do :)
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

I have used the patterns to make a cowl. I will preface with the fact that the cowl was for my son. He was probably about 3 at the time, maybe a bit older. I reduced the cowl pattern, and then assembled it over an eva foam shell that I made. I'd say, all in all, it came out okay. I've always been tempted to try it again, but honestly I don't have the need to do it. It's possible that I'll make a new cowl for him down the road (he's already outgrown it). I have my WS2 cowl, so I won't need to make one for myself.

Here's the thread I had about making it. The finished pictures are on the second page.
Child/Toddler Cowl

Here's a thread with his first convention cosplay outing. He had a blast walking around as Batman.
Fairfax Comic Con and first outing
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

floatinjoe wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm I have used the patterns to make a cowl. I will preface with the fact that the cowl was for my son. He was probably about 3 at the time, maybe a bit older. I reduced the cowl pattern, and then assembled it over an eva foam shell that I made. I'd say, all in all, it came out okay. I've always been tempted to try it again, but honestly I don't have the need to do it. It's possible that I'll make a new cowl for him down the road (he's already outgrown it). I have my WS2 cowl, so I won't need to make one for myself.

Here's the thread I had about making it. The finished pictures are on the second page.
Child/Toddler Cowl

Here's a thread with his first convention cosplay outing. He had a blast walking around as Batman.
Fairfax Comic Con and first outing
Why thank you so much! I love how yours came out for your son it looks fantastic! Actually it looks BAT- tastic!! haha I love it so much and thank you yet again for the help This very inspirational and useful for me to see progression shots :) Lets cross our fingers and hope and pray that mine comes out correctly:)
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I have made a dozen cowls over the years, and they are the hardest part of the Batman costume to make. Even with the Chuck shell and patterns, an experienced seamstress' skills are put to the test. I highly recommend getting some similar fabric and doing lots of tests. Trying to get those two side seams to work without puckering is one of the most difficult things you will ever sew (I thought gloves were hard, LOL!).

But...it's not impossible. If you are patient, you do three-five test pieces, then you make the real one. You can do it!
BATPRESLEY

Post by BATPRESLEY »

Mark Racop wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:42 pm I have made a dozen cowls over the years, and they are the hardest part of the Batman costume to make. Even with the Chuck shell and patterns, an experienced seamstress' skills are put to the test. I highly recommend getting some similar fabric and doing lots of tests. Trying to get those two side seams to work without puckering is one of the most difficult things you will ever sew (I thought gloves were hard, LOL!).

But...it's not impossible. If you are patient, you do three-five test pieces, then you make the real one. You can do it!
Thank you very much for the advice I agree its not going to be easy :) . I just received my cowl shell and am preparing to make cowl, I will most definitely be doing tests, trials and errors. I am not completely sure how i will do it, this first costume I am working on is a complete concept costume which I have done some mock ups and sketches of the costume. It will be a mixture of 1966 Adam West tv show costume and the original Bob Kane comics design along with the original 1943 and 49' costumes I would be happy to post some of the design artwork i have done whenever i am assembling costume on separate thread. :)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I for one would love to see the design work.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:38 am I for one would love to see the design work.
I was just thinking when I read Presley's description of the concept, "This would be totally up Andy's (artist's) alley!"