The Early Days...

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mark Racop

The Early Days...

Post by Mark Racop »

I was scanning some of the pics for my upcoming book, and came across some shots of my earliest 1966 Batman costumes. Here are some from 1970, a store bought Ben Cooper outfit that many of us wore, I'm sure:
Birthday Party.jpg
Birthday Party 2.jpg
Birthday Party 2.jpg (698.75 KiB) Viewed 13640 times

Here is my first attempt at an authentic costume, in 1979 (my memory was 1975, but the photo says 1979). A professional seamstress did the cape and I did the rest of the costume:
Mark as Batman 1979 lr.jpg
I made the entire costume for my first Batman fan film, THE CAPED CRUSADER, in 1979/1980:
Mark as Batman.jpg
More Caped Crusader People.JPG
Rob Nethercutt, Tracy Smith, Scott, Mike.jpg
Rob Nethercutt, Tracy Smith, Scott, Mike.jpg (97.42 KiB) Viewed 13640 times
How about your earliest 1966 Batman costume? Who made it and when did you wear it first?
Ben Bentley

Re: The Early Days...

Post by Ben Bentley »

Pure awesome! Looking forward to the book!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Epic work Mark!!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

These photos are fantastic! I'm really impressed with the quality of the costumes you produced 40+ years ago.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Mark Racop wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 pm How about your earliest 1966 Batman costume? Who made it and when did you wear it first?
LOVE IT!!!

My first 1966 Batsuit wasn't until 2004 so this will still seem more modern although it was 16 years ago. The cowl was by Wally (no such thing as a Chuck cowl then). The boots were my first Duran boots although I had them made too tall. Trunks by Vickie. The utility belt was my short lived Ken Davis one as was the cape. Gloves were by Gaspar (and still make mine to this day). The tights were Onstage Dancewear although I dyed them too light which was the trend among 1966 cosplayers at the time. The chest emblem was an early Williams Studio 2 and I've always used their emblems
batman_25.jpg

I had it put it together for San Diego Comic Con (and beyond) but my first outing in it was at my old job as an operation manager at Guitar Center. I conducted a meeting about loss prevention and surprised the entire staff when I came running into the meeting to the Batman theme and did it in full character.

batman_02.jpg
batman_18.jpg
batman_21.jpg

Okay gang, share your stories! :)
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

More awesomeness!!!!

I can't even imaging the hutzpah it took to do your presentation in character!!!

If I've learned anything over the years, to have a batsuit is to be constantly editing a batsuit!!! Onward and upward!!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Chuck Williams wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 pm More awesomeness!!!!

I can't even imaging the hutzpah it took to do your presentation in character!!!

If I've learned anything over the years, to have a batsuit is to be constantly editing a batsuit!!! Onward and upward!!!
"Hutzpah" is my middle name. ;)
Chuck Williams wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 pm If I've learned anything over the years, to have a batsuit is to be constantly editing a batsuit!!! Onward and upward!!!
Always. Still at it.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Amazing pics Boys.
Mark, does your fan film still exsisit anywhere?
Gotham Traveler

Post by Gotham Traveler »

These costumes are all so awesome! I feel like I missed some great Halloween opportunities as I was growing up as I never had a Batman '66-themed costume.
"Watch out, Batman! The powers of darkness lurk in this room!"
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Mark, that costume looks great. Definitely amazing considering the resources that were available at the time.

Scott, your cosplays continue to inspire me. You're still the only Captain Action I've come across.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Those early days were great fun. Very few of us were out there in those days, making us really stand out, LOL! I loved seeing you folks in your suits. Who else was out and about before it was 'popular' to do cosplay?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Mark Racop wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 pm Those early days were great fun. Very few of us were out there in those days, making us really stand out, LOL! I loved seeing you folks in your suits. Who else was out and about before it was 'popular' to do cosplay?
Well "cosplay" was most certainly a known entity by the time I started getting involved...

But seeing as we're doing "firsts", i'll instead throw into the ring my "Adam West - Behind The Scenes" cosplay that I did back in 2008. I've always been fascinated by the production of the show and that fascination coupled with how stylish I always considered Adam to be with his shades and his Triumph motorycle...well sometimes you just have to throw on a robe and a pair of RayBans. :lol:
Ben-Adam_BTS-BOARD_RES-B&W.jpg
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

That is absolutely brilliant, B.B.! That is the first time I have ever seen anyone do this, a photo/ cosplay or whatever. Dynamite stuff.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I love your pic, Ben! I remember it vividly when you first posted it.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

My fan films were shot on Super 8 Movie film. I finally found a place in Chicago that can transfer the twin track sound that we used for music and sound effects. I'm going to try to get them transferred soon.