Bat X-Ray Deflector Prop

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rsaffle

Bat X-Ray Deflector Prop

Post by rsaffle »

My take on the Bat X-Ray Deflector seen in episode "Mad Hatter Runs Afoul" Batman: Season 2, Episode 36 at the 5:35 mark.
3D designed and printed.

Thanks to Penguin For Mayor for the inspiration!
photo.jpg
A.jpg
Attachments
PICTURE.jpg
B.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Ben Bentley

Re: Bat X-Ray Deflector Prop

Post by Ben Bentley »

Verrrrry cool! You’re doing the Lord’s work taking on these one-shot props!
svl

Post by svl »

Holy perfection, Batman! Another home run!!!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Incredible!
You mentioned before that you might use resin and a different printer, id this the case with this one? - I do not notice "Print Lines" on this piece. I am asking for a friend that is thinking about investing in a 3-d printer to produce some things like this. (Spoiler, it's Me)
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:24 pm Incredible!
You mentioned before that you might use resin and a different printer, id this the case with this one? - I do not notice "Print Lines" on this piece. I am asking for a friend that is thinking about investing in a 3-d printer to produce some things like this. (Spoiler, it's Me)
Jimmy I'm having all kinds of fun but like everything else it takes time to learn. I have a Creality 5 Pro printer ( about 350$ ) that I used on this and I got great prints from day one. I did buy a resin printer too, a Anycube Photon ( 175$ ) but so far I haven't gotten much to work from that one and it's frustrating! In theory, I should have been able to print this one on the resin and have zero clean up and print lines. Instead it took me 3 tries to figure out the best position to print this and I had a ton of sanding and used putty to fill the lines. Its normal kind of cleanup and model building techniques. Other people out there are getting resin prints so I'm sure I will figure it out one day. The problem with them is you have a lot of cleanup of the machine and your dealing with resin that should not touch your skin. I found out each brand of resin and even each color has settings that I need to figure out. I plan on just staying with a brand once I do.

I have art skills but I'm new to 3d design. You don't have to learn design yourself because there are tons of files available to keep you busy out there.
If you do want to try then I recommend an online program called Tinkercad to start. Its aimed at kids but its surprising what you can still do on it. Of course, You will need modeling and painting skills to finish the prints off. I wish my airbrush skills were better.

I am willing to help you learn and answer every question I can. I don't mind sharing my files with friends on this forum either but I do have plans to start producing some of these one day so I'm not openly putting them out on the web.
Penguin For Mayor

Post by Penguin For Mayor »

this looks amazing!!!
So - These Here, Are Them There... Fabulous Twins?
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm doing the Lord’s work
Ha ha! I like to think he is a Batman fan!
Do you have anything you would like to see remade?
Meule

Post by Meule »

Man oh man, that looks so awesome
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Thanks for the helpful info Rsaffle, I will definitely reach out when I pull the trigger.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

rsaffle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:56 pm Do you have anything you would like to see remade?
I'm not a prop collector, but right after seeing this thread I happened to be re-watching "Death in Slow Motion," and spotted an "orphan" prop that might be fun to tackle. When Batman and Robin follow Riddler's clues to the Baker Street Library, they find it closed for lack of funds and let themselves in with the Batkey. Careful freeze-framing reveals pretty much the whole thing's shape. (I watched the episode on my MacBook, and there's no way to do a screengrab from its TV player. Maybe someone savvier than I could assist?)

Just a thought.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:32 pm
rsaffle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:56 pm Do you have anything you would like to see remade?
I'm not a prop collector, but right after seeing this thread I happened to be re-watching "Death in Slow Motion," and spotted an "orphan" prop that might be fun to tackle. When Batman and Robin follow Riddler's clues to the Baker Street Library, they find it closed for lack of funds and let themselves in with the Batkey. Careful freeze-framing reveals pretty much the whole thing's shape. (I watched the episode on my MacBook, and there's no way to do a screengrab from its TV player. Maybe someone savvier than I could assist?)

Just a thought.
That's a good one Jim. I just found a photo of one that someone else made but I havent compared it to the show yet to see how acurate it is. I plan on making one though. Appreciate the suggestion!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Here's the Bat-key. On a Macbook, download VLC and you will have some cool controls for your video files.
Attachments
Bat-key scaps.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Batfanman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:49 pm On a Macbook, download VLC and you will have some cool controls for your video files.
Thanks tons. I've used VLC for years but thought there was some kind of copy protection on the Apple TV videos.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:28 pm
Batfanman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:49 pm On a Macbook, download VLC and you will have some cool controls for your video files.
Thanks tons. I've used VLC for years but thought there was some kind of copy protection on the Apple TV videos.
So the snapshot feature in VLC doesn't work? If not, did you try CMD OPTION 3 to do a scap?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Batfanman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm So the snapshot feature in VLC doesn't work? If not, did you try CMD OPTION 3 to do a scap?
VLC lists the episode files in "My Videos," but I can't get it to play them. And the Mac OS "TV" app, which plays the episodes by default, doesn't allow screen caps: Pressing CMD-OPTION-3 (or -4) while it's running generates an image file, but all contents of the TV window are blacked out.