the Great Pumpkin goes away

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

FLOYDLEWIS

the Great Pumpkin goes away

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

it's the Great Pumpkin charlie brown ..will not be airing on tv this year or for that matter ..anymore..it has been announced that the Peanuts TV specials that generations of Americans grew up with are moving to Apple TV+ and I am left with this strange urge to throw my tv away
Ben Bentley

Re: the Great Pumpkin goes away

Post by Ben Bentley »

You’re right... that is a pretty strange urge, all things considered.

It’s available to own for eternity for less than the price of one month’s subscription to any given streaming service.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/its-the-g ... Id=1171158
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I just heard about this. Another classic gone from free TV. Luckily I have it on blu Ray or dvd.

I bought the audio album, and it’s part of my Halloween playlist along with the “Haunted House and other scary stories”

You just need an e-copy to keep on your devices.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
High C

Post by High C »

I would agree with the OP that it's sad that, even though one still can own it physically, the communal part of watching it over-the-air is gone. Ironic that much of the plot of A Charlie Brown Christmas is Charlie complaining that Christmas has become too commercial...

TBH, I never liked the Halloween special. As a kid, the idea that CB got rocks in his trick or treat bag creeped me out. So the adults knew he was a misfit? Did they want him to eat the rocks and choke and die? Was it a conspiracy? Did they all phone each other and say, 'let's all give rocks to the bald nerdy kid with the zig-zag shirt?' How did they know it was him? And what psycho adult has rocks next to his/her trick-or-treat candy in the first place? Schulz was a genius, but he went to some dark places, man.

I know I'm reading too much into it, but that was way too cruel. Kids are cruel, but adults shouldn't be cruel to kids like that. Did they also slip him razor blades in his candy? I know I'm overthinking it, but it's always bothered me. That was over the line, IMO. It scared me as a kid, honestly.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

We crossed posts. You posted before I could edit this.

I know you are reading way too much into High C. It was just part of the shtick of being Charlie Brown, he never caught a break.

I'm not downplaying your reaction to the rocks he gets instead of candy. It is odd what can frighten or bother a specific person. 999 people can see something and not have any reaction to it and the 1,000th person gets very upset over something that the author meant to be innocuous.

My brother used to call me Joe and it infuriated me (my name isn't anything like Joe). I have no idea why it bothered me. But once he knew it bothered me he did it a lot.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

dell wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:25 am I know you are reading way too much into High C. It was just part of the shtick of being Charlie Brown, he never caught a break.
It's still cruel and I'm not kidding. It did freak me out as a child. I still can't watch it to this day. I don't laugh. It makes me sad.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

High C wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:24 am I would agree with the OP that it's sad that, even though one still can own it physically, the communal part of watching it over-the-air is gone. Ironic that much of the plot of A Charlie Brown Christmas is Charlie complaining that Christmas has become too commercial...

TBH, I never liked the Halloween special. As a kid, the idea that CB got rocks in his trick or treat bag creeped me out. So the adults knew he was a misfit? Did they want him to eat the rocks and choke and die? Was it a conspiracy? Did they all phone each other and say, 'let's all give rocks to the bald nerdy kid with the zig-zag shirt?' How did they know it was him? And what psycho adult has rocks next to his/her trick-or-treat candy in the first place? Schulz was a genius, but he went to some dark places, man.

I know I'm reading too much into it, but that was way too cruel. Kids are cruel, but adults shouldn't be cruel to kids like that. Did they also slip him razor blades in his candy? I know I'm overthinking it, but it's always bothered me. That was over the line, IMO. It scared me as a kid, honestly.
I admit, I do believe you're overthinking it. :D That said, there's a happy outcome to consider: (From Wikipedia)

Viewer response
Schulz wanted Charlie Brown to get a rock at one house. Melendez suggested it happen three times, and while executive producer Lee Mendelson said no, he was overruled. According to Schulz in the book and retrospective TV special Happy Birthday, Charlie Brown, after the program first aired, bags and boxes of candy came in from all over the world "just for Charlie Brown."

So as nasty as it might have been, nice people "all over the world" felt so badly that they sent candy for Charlie Brown after the fact. That's pretty cool.
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

Hard to find on DVD/Blu-Ray