My version of the 66 Gas Gun

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

My version of the 66 Gas Gun

Post by rsaffle »

1966 Green Hornet Gas Gun

This has been done before by several people but I had to give it a shot. I attempted it a month ago but I needed to learn some stuff to improve my 3D design skills. I will probably do several of these with all the little design options because its way cool. lol

I used black texture paint for the handle and recessed the logo area and then used Dimensional Mod Podge to give it a clear bubble look.

The top photo is my growing collection of 3D designed and printed props.
Mask, Gas Mask, Kato's Dart, Flashlight and logo
Attachments
hornet collection.jpg
hornet gun a.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
svl

Re: My version of the 66 Gas Gun

Post by svl »

Love it.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

That is some collection.
Meule

Post by Meule »

Yeah, that is one helluva collection. The gun is amazing, it looks so real
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Incredible work. I'm fascinated by 3D printing but know very little about it. Was the gun printed as single piece? Two mirror-image halves? More pieces that were then assembled? Is it solid or hollow?
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Very cool. Well done!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

This turned out really nicely Randy!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Jim Akin wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 am Incredible work. I'm fascinated by 3D printing but know very little about it. Was the gun printed as single piece? Two mirror-image halves? More pieces that were then assembled? Is it solid or hollow?
Thanks Jim! It's all about how the designer draws it up. My printer uses a spool of PLA plastic that looks like weed eater string. The printer heats up the table top and heats up the extruder nozzle and then starts moving around and laying down a bead of material. That bead line builds up to the printed piece. The hot bed helps the plastic stay in one place until its finished. I've learned that my best results are to find or make a flat area on the model I want to print. I printed the gun in four pieces. The barrel was standing up straight and had a flat bottom. The body was laying top down on the flat area. The handle was one piece upside down and then the trigger was a separate piece. The printer program automatically adds and builds up support areas when something is not touching the bed flat. ( see dog pic ) After printing these supports break off very easy but in most cases will tear up the model surface removing them. The printer leaves noticeable lines in the model from the printing process and then with the removal of the supports the printer gives me a plastic "model" that requires sanding and body filling and priming to finish off. You really need modeling skills to assemble and clean up and paint the prints.

I could try to print the gun as one piece but it would create a lot of the automatic created supports to do it that way since it has no real flat areas. That would increase the printing time and increase the cleanup time.

I plan on working on my gun design some more. If I had removed those knobs and screw details off into separate printable pieces then it would have been easier to get the flat sides of the body smoother than trying to sand and fill the grooves around those shapes. Does this make sense?

My 40's version gun was in two halves and then I just had to sand and fill the seams. The only supports where on the gas tube areas so it was an easy print.

In most cases I don't print the piece as a solid block unless its a small piece. That would use more material and increase the time. The program creates an infill pattern that i can increase or decrease. ( see inside the head print photo ) You could also add weights inside the piece to make a gun feel gun heavy if wanted.

Here is a short video of one of my printers. You can see it in action towards the end. I knew nothing about printers when I bought mine but they are tons of fun. You can set one up and start printing. There are tons of free models and some to purchase all over the internet. You could find plenty to print without having to design them yourself. I payed around 375$ for mine but there are good ones available in the 100 to 200 range even.
Even different materials to print in. Wood, metals, ABS, Carbon Fiber ect.

Attachments
printer supports.jpg
infill.jpg
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Every time I see someone's 3D printed parts/projects the more and more I want one. However unless I learn I would need a great designer to draw the object to be printed. These looks great.
A question, if you know, about what would someone charge to design and make the appropriate files (STL and VRML??) for say another project from scratch about the size of the Gas Gun. Thanks
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:19 pm if you know, about what would someone charge to design and make the appropriate files (STL and VRML??) for say another project from scratch about the size of the Gas Gun.
I follow a few designers but im not sure what they would charge. There are tons of people out there so finding some young designer on a 3D forum would probably be my approach. Sites like Etsy would be a good place to look...someone with similar interests. They sell printed pieces at good prices. Ive even entertained buying some because of the effort it can take doing it myself. I have designed a few items for people that have contacted me on this forum. If its something I can knock out or have interest in that helps. So far I haven't done it for money. Send me your ideas.

Google 3D printed whatever you are looking for and you may be suprised whats out there. Also check sites like Thingverse, Myminifactory, CGtrader and Cults3d.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:29 pm Does this make sense?
Your explanation was excellent. Thanks very much for the primer! I'm still trying to justify my last hobby-related investment, in a home brewing setup, but you've got me even more intrigued about 3D printing. Keep up the terrific work.