Simple Robin outfit

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
cthdcthd

Simple Robin outfit

Post by cthdcthd »

Hello. I've been working on a simple Robin outfit with articles of clothing that can be easily found. Don't know what you think, but I'm pretty happy with the result given the low budget nature of my effort. (The photo below shows my costume before I got a shirt with the "R" on the chest.) But one thing is the cape--it's good quality from Etsy, but it's worn by tying string together. Any ideas on where to get a good cape that buttons or clasps closed?
DrewMasie

Re: Simple Robin outfit

Post by DrewMasie »

I imagine the options depend on your budget. If you search for 1966 Robin costume on ebay you'll find vendors that offer full Robin costumes for around $60, and it looks like the capes have a collar.

You might be able to find a used Rubie's Robin costume.

You could buy a second cape of the same fabric and sew a collar. Snaps are available at Joann's and other fabric stores, or you could use a simple hook clasp. You could probably use a dress shirt collar as a pattern.

Of course Williams Studio 2 on Etsy is the best source if you need fabric, patterns, or a complete cape.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

My mother made my cape in the 80s. The yellow satin actually covers a collar from an old school uniform shirt, and a simple "hook and eye" is used to fasten the cape, with a yellow button on each side hiding the visible sewing caused by the "hook and eye".

Robin cape solutions by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Hook and eye fastening by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The original plan was a loop of elastic around one of the buttons but it wouldn't sit straight. The "hook and eye" worked perfectly.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

DrewMasie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:33 am You might be able to find a used Rubie's Robin costume.
The Rubies cape has a decent collar but the material has a rather dull finish for satin - which is funny because the tunic is way too shiny :? .
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
cthdcthd

Post by cthdcthd »

Thank you all for your feedback!