Not excited AT ALL about upcoming film "The Batman"

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Re: Not excited AT ALL about upcoming film "The Batman"

Post by High C »

I, personally, am waiting for the gritty origin story--Begorrah: Prologue
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Scott Sebring wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:06 am Just a friendly heads up. Let's ease off on possible spoilers and Easter eggs at his time. Let people who are going to see it "experience it" without foreknowledge of such things. The pleasant surprises and nods.

After a month or so, folks can then compare those kind of notes.
Thanks.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/36a56b05-8 ... 550425f4ed
High C

Post by High C »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:22 pm Polish_20220304_224502946_copy_749x499.png
Well-played, old chum!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Scott Sebring wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:06 am Just a friendly heads up. Let's ease off on possible spoilers and Easter eggs at his time. Let people who are going to see it "experience it" without foreknowledge of such things. The pleasant surprises and nods.

After a month or so, folks can then compare those kind of notes.
Thanks.
Looking forward to it, sir. I have a lengthy post/review I made on the nerd board I moderate. Might be nice to get some perspective from people who have a history with the character and have actually seen the film. Four pages of people railing on how “wrong” and terrible it is before they’ve even seen it?

The slight on Pattinson is equally juvenile. “The little Twilight guy”? Come on, man. That was 12 years ago, he’s an adult in his mid 30s, stands over 6’, and has made 16 films since then. Wow.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

It took 12 years for that vampire to turn into a bat? Sheesh. (Not my joke)
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Jimmy L. 66 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:27 am It took 12 years for that vampire to turn into a bat? Sheesh. (Not my joke)
😄
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I saw the movie this week and I actually really enjoyed it overall. The trailer and the "tone" depicted by the teasers we've been bombarded with do not do this movie justice. There is literally and figuratively light at the end of this tunnel/movie. I went into The Batman sceptical of what was at stake (it would be another how many years before we can reboot this character again?!) But that being said, I was cautiously optimistic based on what I knew about Reeves and his body of work. I don't love the suit, but I do like it's more agile proportions. I certainly didn't dislike it in the way in which I did the bulky Bale and Affleck suits. There are certain tighter shots of this cowl and the nose area particularly that gave me a kick as a '66 fan first and foremost.

If you keep the framing of this movie as a "Year-Two" Batman story, this film genuinely has become one of the most "Batman-like" portrayals of the character ever seen on the big screen. Not having his fundamental traits of intelligence and empathy dispersed between the supporting cast like we saw in the Nolan films was a huge step in the right direction. I'm not going to get into any spoiler/plot-oriented specifics at this moment (like Scott said, we'll have a review thread in the coming weeks), but the arc of development that the character of Batman takes by the conclusion of this movie should be satisfying to any fan who is tired of the One-Dimensional psyche that we have been force-fed for the last thirty years or more. At the end of this enjoyable "Year-Two" arc, I am left with a sincere optimism about where this incarnation of the character may head.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Great review, Ben. And spot on.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I agree! The teasers and trailer seem edited to bring in the Nolan fans. It’s much more grounded than that and not nearly as “ Batman is a mental mess” that they show. There is a definite similarity (intentional or not) to the 66 show where Batman’s interaction with police is concerned. A small thing, but a fellow Batnerd friend of mine brought it up, where I had missed it.

Like perhaps many of us, I went in to the theater apathetic. I came out very pleasantly surprised. My wordy take in a few weeks.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I agree. I'm going to go back for a second dose. The more I think on it the more it resonates with me. There are some real nice YouTube videos talking about the plot and story details that pointed out some stuff to me. Great review Ben!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I’m going to see the 6:00 pm show tonight with the family. Hopefully it doesn’t trigger a birth as my daughter is at 38 Weeks.

Let you know my post show thoughts.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Ok, Saw it. Loved all of it. Tons of Easter Eggs, many my daughter even picked up on, cause we raised her right ;)

Seriously though, It was actually the start of year 3, the journey of the detective. It is not a horror show as reported but it is dark. I didn't even feel the length of the movie - its so engaging. If they stay with the detective theme, I’m in for more.

There is a great documentary on this Batmobile for those that have seen the movie.

Riddle me this...when is a Bat like a General? :?:
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Lou Szabo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:21 pm I’m going to see the 6:00 pm show tonight with the family. Hopefully it doesn’t trigger a birth as my daughter is at 38 Weeks.

Hey Lou, I hope it didn't trigger a premature launch! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D

I guess that I'm going to have to go see it this next month!
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

:D Tick Tock