Hornet Sting 3D printed prop replica

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

This has been on my bucket list for some time now and has taken some serious work to figure it out. I normally can create something and print it and its good to go but this one had working functions that I ended up having to make 4 or 5 versions of each piece to figure it all out. This should be a pretty accurate version. I studied photos and videos and took some serious measurements to get it right. The telescoping part was my first challenge but after figuring that out I knew the rest would follow. The tip locks into the collar like the original and I made the translucent green resin jewels by hand. Printed them out and then made a silicone mold that I put the resin into and used ultraviolet light to cure. They are not perfect but they will do the trick until I get my resin printer figured out. The bottom cap is hinged and held closed with 2 magnets. That hinge caused me so many problems too but I made it work. I couldn't find good shots of what is under the cap so I added speaker holes like the Factory prop has incase I add sound in future.

I even designed a base for it using translucent acrylic and vinyls. Haven't put a full time light into the base yet but I designed it for one.

The Sting is 12" long and extends to 32" just like the original.

Sadly for me, this is immediately flying the coop but I know its going to a good home so I will have to make at least one more. I don't normally like doing that because I already have other bucket items in the works. One of those is a Batman laser gun from the first serial!

Some of my other props are included in the photos below.

I get so much enjoyment bringing these to life before my eyes. Drawing something up then waking up the next day and holding it is pretty amazing
and its equally fun to share it with the diehard fans.
:mrgreen:
Attachments
STING PROP.jpg
STING PROP D.jpg
HORNET STING C.jpg
STING 2 GROUP.jpg
STING PROP E.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
DrewMasie

Re: Hornet Sting 3D printed prop replica

Post by DrewMasie »

Wow, that's outstanding! Do you have any plans to make the 3D files available if fans want to print out any of the parts themselves? I'd like to replace the two end pieces on mine to be more accurate.

Great work as usual!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Looking good, Sir! I imagine yours would be way lighter to wield than the Factory Entertainment version.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Ben Bentley wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:02 pm Looking good, Sir! I imagine yours would be way lighter to wield than the Factory Entertainment version.
I'm sure but I've never actually seen a Factory prop in person. Thanks Ben!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

DrewMasie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:45 pm Wow, that's outstanding! Do you have any plans to make the 3D files available if fans want to print out any of the parts themselves? I'd like to replace the two end pieces on mine to be more accurate.

Great work as usual!
I am considering that. Appreciate your comments. I will help you any way possible.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

This is an incredible prop and an incredible talent! Randy...YOU ROCK Dude!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

GMartin58 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:56 pm This is an incredible prop and an incredible talent! Randy...YOU ROCK Dude!
Ha! I really do appreciate that Greg and all of the other support and comments I get from this group. The source material and the people on this forum are what rocks! I feed off what everyone brings. The energy and knowledge is undeniable and it brings together everyone with the Bat-Passion.

My big fun is spending the time researching the props and diving into how they may have originally been made and then hearing the reactions from real fans of the show but I will admit its fun to actually hold a version of these things that we have been dreaming of for almost 60 years too. My toy purchases have been shrinking because I can make the real stuff I want. I freak out as much as everyone else that sees these things.

Thanks again for all the comments and friendships and of course to the moderators of this site. I'm excited to be part of it.

-R
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Nailed the details once again. Great job. Sorry I didn't see your PM earlier. --John
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

This is amazing work!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 am Hornet Sting 3D printed prop replica

Very, very solid work! The custom stand as well, although if I had to change one thing, it would be to cast the hornet design on the stand in a lighter color, such as a lighter green variant, or red, as black is sort of absorbed into the green block.

I imagine you have seen the official Hornet sting (and other hand prop replicas) from SDCC? If not, check that out--its a great time to be a GH collector if you're into props.
Beneath Wayne Manor
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:24 am
rsaffle wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 am Hornet Sting 3D printed prop replica

Very, very solid work! The custom stand as well, although if I had to change one thing, it would be to cast the hornet design on the stand in a lighter color, such as a lighter green variant, or red, as black is sort of absorbed into the green block.

I imagine you have seen the official Hornet sting (and other hand prop replicas) from SDCC? If not, check that out--its a great time to be a GH collector if you're into props.
Thanks for your suggestions. I thought about making the Hornet reflective gold but thought it would distract from the prop plus gold doesn't light up. In person the black looks even better because of the thickness of the acrylic. The Hornet is on top and the green is on bottom so it kind of floats above it. Lighter green would have worked too but I would have had to cut the darker green out around it for good illumination and added difficulty.

I didn't see anything new from Hornet at this con other than a reprint of the enamel pins. The Sting prop and pistol are already a few years old. I would love it but $500 is pretty steep. I'll just print my own and make do.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

If the new film does what we all hope it does...and they come up with some cool props...then we will see some new items hitting the market. We can only hope they are "cool".