Anybody have a vintage Crazy Foam bottle?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

Anybody have a vintage Crazy Foam bottle?

Post by rsaffle »

Hey guys, I'm working on recreating the graphics on a Crazy Foam bottle into a '66 Batman version and I need the overall height with the cap on and the width or the diameter of the can. I haven't found anything definitive online.
Attachments
4798552413_9581c73705.jpg
4798552413_9581c73705.jpg (132.86 KiB) Viewed 49978 times
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BiffPow

Re: Anybody have a vintage Crazy Foam bottle?

Post by BiffPow »

I do, but it would take too long to find. Boxed up with Soakies decades ago.
To The Batpoles!

Post by To The Batpoles! »

I have them!

8-5/16" Tall.

Can is 2-1/8" at the bottom ring or 2-1/16" for the can itself just above the ring.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

To The Batpoles! wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:52 pm I have them!
=Frank=
Much appreciated Frank! I love them but I have never pulled the trigger and never seen one in the wild.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

BiffPow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:26 pm I do, but it would take too long to find. Boxed up with Soakies decades ago.
Crazy what we all probably have boxed away. Not enough room myself.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

rsaffle wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:56 am
BiffPow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:26 pm I do, but it would take too long to find. Boxed up with Soakies decades ago.
Crazy what we all probably have boxed away. Not enough room myself.
Too true. At this point, my collection will likely just be a burden. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the wisdom to see that years ago. Probably should streamline, but I just have such a hard time parting with it. Hopefully, it won’t wind up at the Goodwill.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

BiffPow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:02 am Too true. At this point, my collection will likely just be a burden. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the wisdom to see that years ago. Probably should streamline, but I just have such a hard time parting with it. Hopefully, it won’t wind up at the Goodwill.
I keep telling myself to sell most of it off, then buy even better versions of my favorite items but, I don't want to put the time & effort into getting rid of it. I told my wife and sons to not worry about anything I own. I pointed out a few big dollar pieces but told them to just call an estate seller and not to worry about it. I have tons of vintage comics from my youth, and I have no idea what I actually still have or what to do with them either. I told my boys to sell them off and I would split whatever they get with them but so far, they are just collecting dust. I started limiting what I do buy and then 66 Batman merchandise keeps flooding the market and now I have my own 100 or so props taking up space. Currently, I have my painting studio full of vintage toys, props and books and my three 3D printers and everything that comes with them, all in one converted dining room! It's maddening!
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

rsaffle wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:02 am
BiffPow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:02 am Too true. At this point, my collection will likely just be a burden. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the wisdom to see that years ago. Probably should streamline, but I just have such a hard time parting with it. Hopefully, it won’t wind up at the Goodwill.
I keep telling myself to sell most of it off, then buy even better versions of my favorite items but, I don't want to put the time & effort into getting rid of it. I told my wife and sons to not worry about anything I own. I pointed out a few big dollar pieces but told them to just call an estate seller and not to worry about it. I have tons of vintage comics from my youth, and I have no idea what I actually still have or what to do with them either. I told my boys to sell them off and I would split whatever they get with them but so far, they are just collecting dust. I started limiting what I do buy and then 66 Batman merchandise keeps flooding the market and now I have my own 100 or so props taking up space. Currently, I have my painting studio full of vintage toys, props and books and my three 3D printers and everything that comes with them, all in one converted dining room! It's maddening!
Probably one of the greatest fears/ problems of any collector. My brothers would have a big garage sale and get rid of it all. Every time I think about it, Forest J Ackerman, Debbie Reynolds and others come to mind. Mr Ackerman had the greatest Sci Fi and Horror collection in the world and the Ackermansion. His wife passed, his health failed and he ended up living in a small 2 bedroom house with just a few of his prized items until his passing. Debbie, hers was auctioned off for debits. These two and many more World renowned collections, a life's work and love gone to the four winds. As collectors we passionately love what we do and cherish our collections. We dream of building a museum and sharing it with the world, but in the end a few prized items are displayed the rest boxed up and in storage. And when we are gone, so is the dream as with most dreams they are shared by one and gone with that one.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Told my son the same thing: don’t worry about anything I have. If you want to sell it, sell it. But I can agree with all of the sentiments expressed. I too dreamed of having a pop-culture mini museum to share my collection, but the older I got, the fewer people in the world even cared, it seems. I am always shocked at how many people in their 30s and younger who don’t know anything about famous musicians, movies or TV shows from the 1960s and before.

Even in my own generation, antiques hold no value to many. When I was at university in my early 20s, I was telling my best friend from college about a rare cup and saucer that belonged to George Washington that my parents found. His only comment: “Eww! It’s used!”
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

You might consider leaving your stuff to the Special Collections and Archives department at your local university, if they'll take it. The university where I work has the third or fourth largest comic collection in the US and lots of related merchandise and curiosities that researchers, students and just casual visitors can request to see on demand. I've used it to see vintage comics. original art, toys and even some of Leslie Thomas' production paintings for the '66 series. I've donated comics to the collection before and since none of my 3 kids really cares about comics, I'll probably leave the rest of my collection to the school as well, where it might actually serve a purpose as opposed to ending up in a dumpster somewhere. It's likely they already have copies of most of what I'd give, but what they usually do is upgrade to nicer issues as they come in, hang onto a spare or two and sell off surplus copies in a "Friends of the Library" sale, which honestly nets only a fraction of "actual" value but at least puts the comics back in the hands of people who actually want to own and read them. Those sales are how I've managed to acquire a lot of Silver Age DC and Marvel books for my kids for about a quarter each. Of course, as note, the kids weren't all that impressed, but at least I gave them a shot.

Anyway, leaving it to the library means (1) my family can get rid of it all in one headache-free purge, (2) it could serve a purpose for educators, researchers and enthusiasts and (3) if all else fails, it'll raise funds for the library. And who knows, if you have an impressive enough collection, maybe they'll even name it after you.

BTW, on the subject of Crazy Foam cans...
I love them but I have never pulled the trigger...
I see what you did there. :-)
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:46 am Hey guys, I'm working on recreating the graphics on a Crazy Foam bottle into a '66 Batman version and I need the overall height with the cap on and the width or the diameter of the can. I haven't found anything definitive online.
Not vintage but in 2018, this happened:

"Batman Crazy Foam" goes crazy by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Today, perhaps because of unexpectedly warm temperatures(?), or perhaps because it just wanted to be crazy... my can of “Batman Crazy Foam” decided to spill its contents over everything near it in my collectibles room. After about a year of just sitting on a shelf. It has been moved to the bathroom (where I actually thought it was!) and continues to pour forth. “Holy soap suds, Batman!”

While checking the can for a manufacturing date, I saw mention of "collectable caps". Previously I hadn't noticed that the "head" of the "Crazy Foam" container was removable. The safety tag was still in place and yet the foam was pouring from a weakness in the rim, until the can was completely empty.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

It looks like Batman ate too much cotton candy.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I've been collecting Batman for years and my basement was/is sort of a mini-museum. I had planned on showing it to people but then started to think the less who knew, the better as I was wondering about possible burglary if too many people knew and word got around. I was thinking a few times of posting some pictures on here over the years. My collection numbers in the area of 3,200 items. Now, my wife just passed from a 7 and 1/2 year battle with cancer the afternoon of Aug. 27, and suddenly my collection has become of little value or meaning to me.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Yellow Oval wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:36 pm Now, my wife just passed from a 7 and 1/2 year battle with cancer the afternoon of Aug. 27, and suddenly my collection has become of little value or meaning to me.
I am so sorry to hear about your wife and what you have been going through for all of these years. I know you will be a changed man with this loss but don't give up on the little things that have brought you joy in life like your collection. You need stuff like that to help you get through it. I know that stuff is just stuff but I hope being surrounded by them will help in some way. Remember you have friends here too and most if us are in the same age bracket and share similar experiences in life.
With all that said, I do feel for you and will add you and yours to my prayers!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

rsaffle wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:44 am
Yellow Oval wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:36 pm Now, my wife just passed from a 7 and 1/2 year battle with cancer the afternoon of Aug. 27, and suddenly my collection has become of little value or meaning to me.
I am so sorry to hear about your wife and what you have been going through for all of these years. I know you will be a changed man with this loss but don't give up on the little things that have brought you joy in life like your collection. You need stuff like that to help you get through it. I know that stuff is just stuff but I hope being surrounded by them will help in some way. Remember you have friends here too and most if us are in the same age bracket and share similar experiences in life.
With all that said, I do feel for you and will add you and yours to my prayers!
Thank you rasffle,

I appreciate your kind words and advice. I really hope Batman can bring me out of it as he did in other low moments of my life, although they weren't as low as this.

Yellow Oval.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"