THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 1967

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AHTrois

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 1967

Post by AHTrois »

Also 45 years ago, the inauspicious Batgirl made her televised debut.

"Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin" (prod. #1701) first aired @ 7:30 p.m. on ABC as the 95th episode of Batman.

This segment launched the series' third and final season, and introduced Batviewers to actress-ballerina Yvonne Joyce Craig as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. Also, the show was now seen once a week on ABC (Thursdays @ 7:30), the reason being that broadcasting twice a week proved to be overkill (hence the previous season's massive inventory of 60 episodes).

Producer Howie Horwitz made a 15-minute film (which was never aired) of the Batgirl character for ABC (which featured her and The Dynamic Duo confronting the villain Killer Moth) in order to convince The Alphabet Network that the addition of the new character would help the ratings. The network liked it and decided to give the Batman TV series a chance at a third season.

This season, all of the action word titles which appear during the climactic fight sequences were still inserted inbetween scenes, with an added twist: they now flash.
Sept. 14, 1967 TV Guide ad heralding Batgirl's debut on Batman.
Sept. 14, 1967 TV Guide ad heralding Batgirl's debut on Batman.
introducingbatgirl1ug.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
[/align]
60s TV Fan

Re: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 1967

Post by 60s TV Fan »

AH, I've said this before, but if (more hopefully "when") our favorite incarnation of Batman gets a proper dvd release, I sure hope that the producers go to you to provide episode notes. The work you did on The Monkees dvd's was spectacular, and I'm sure you'd do just as great a job on Batman!
Dr. Shimel

Re: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 1967

Post by Dr. Shimel »

In the second season, it took producers a few months before they got rid of the one-minute summary ("We have already seen") at the start of the Thursday shows. The simple reason was that because of the tidy review of Part I, the Wednesday shows were being skipped by many viewers, and thus getting hammered by "Lost in Space," which was now in color.