Green Hornet Radio Show

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

GMartin58

Green Hornet Radio Show

Post by GMartin58 »

Hi gang! Over the last few months I've asked a few covert questions about the original Green Hornet radio shows, how you felt about them, etc. The reason is that thanks to Martin Grams I've gotten my hands on some of the original radio scripts. These are shows that were done BEFORE the first recordings. They have never been heard since they were originally performed and as an old radio guy that excites me to no end.

With this in mind, I've put together a group of friends to perform one of the shows, record it, add sound effects and music. I've presented this to David Grace, the lawyer for Green Hornet, Inc. and while he likes it...neither of us can really figure out a way to make this work from a business standpoint. TO pay the legal fees, franchise fees, actors, etc...at a $1.99 per download it would take a LOT of downloads.

It was fun and maybe one of these days it might make sense...and maybe I'll have the chance to share it with you. AH, well...Let's Roll!!
BiffPow

Re: Green Hornet Radio Show

Post by BiffPow »

Would love to hear that! I’ve done some commercial voiceover work, so that sort if thing always interests me.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

BiffPow wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:27 pm Would love to hear that! I’ve done some commercial voiceover work, so that sort if thing always interests me.
Thanks. I retired after 43 years in broadcasting and yup...done a ton of VO work...and still doing it. It was a pleasure doing the show.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Where did you work, Gerald? Let us know if you are ever able to share that program. Having scripts like that is like finding hidden treasure.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

BiffPow wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:22 pm Where did you work, Gerald? Let us know if you are ever able to share that program. Having scripts like that is like finding hidden treasure.
Funny you typed the name Gerald...that was my dad, lol. I worked in Salina & Wichita, KS...Bloomington, IL and Tri-Cities, WA. Loved what I did but the business is not the same at all.

Time will tell if we can share the program.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

GMartin58 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:39 pm
BiffPow wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:22 pm Where did you work, Gerald? Let us know if you are ever able to share that program. Having scripts like that is like finding hidden treasure.
Funny you typed the name Gerald...that was my dad, lol.
That is so strange. The name “Gerald“ just came to me. It seemed so familiar and I associated it with you.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

A couple of things sprang to mind after reading about you getting a recording together of an early Green Hornet show.
Somewhere a new recording was done in recent years that ended up as an extra on a DVD. I think it was on one of the Green Hornet movie serials.Just goes to show it can be done.
Secondly, today I was reading about a Kickstarter campaign to get an animated Cat-Man movie made. That was a comic character from a similar era that's now in the public domain.
Presumably Green Hornet Inc and yourself know how much money is required to get your broadcast organised so I'd encourage you to try doing a similar campaign. Kickstarter have a massive audience.There was one raised over $200,000 to get 3 new Thunderbirds episodes made using audio from old vinyl records released in the 60's. They've now been broadcast all around the world. I'd certainly be interested in yours. Check it out here at this link:
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

Lounge lizard wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:38 pm A couple of things sprang to mind after reading about you getting a recording together of an early Green Hornet show.
Somewhere a new recording was done in recent years that ended up as an extra on a DVD. I think it was on one of the Green Hornet movie serials.Just goes to show it can be done.
Secondly, today I was reading about a Kickstarter campaign to get an animated Cat-Man movie made. That was a comic character from a similar era that's now in the public domain.
Presumably Green Hornet Inc and yourself know how much money is required to get your broadcast organised so I'd encourage you to try doing a similar campaign. Kickstarter have a massive audience.There was one raised over $200,000 to get 3 new Thunderbirds episodes made using audio from old vinyl records released in the 60's. They've now been broadcast all around the world. I'd certainly be interested in yours. Check it out here at this link:
Thanks for the note. Yes, Green Hornet, Inc. and I have had a number of conversations and the big roadblock as I understand it is not so much the money since I had considered a crowd-fund campaign...but over the last few years the players within the "Trendle family" and the newest controller is more interested in profits. Not sure how doing old radio shows would be much of a profit for them.