66 Hornet playing cards backer art recreation

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

66 Hornet playing cards backer art recreation

Post by rsaffle »

I have a couple sets of the Hornet playing cards from 66 like several of you probably do. I had never seen the original packaging until this week. Apparently it is pretty rare and I only found 2 images online. One in an article about the cards and a better image from a recent auction.

I love the packaging and art from most toys so I set off to recreate the backer card art. I created it as accurate as possible, even created each letter one at a time and simulated the color dot printing style. I scanned in the Hornet image from one of my cards. I printed it all out and glued it to cardstock and covered the face with clear vinyl. The original card was shrink wrapped and attached but I am planning in buying a clear mylar deck holder and attach that so I can still play with my cards but have the look. I'm thinking about offering them on Ebay once I get the covers in. It looks pretty sweet!
Attachments
20240221_173956_compress61.jpg
20240221_174003_compress68.jpg
20240221_174016_compress94.jpg
20240221_174022_compress95.jpg
Screenshot_20240222_095542.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
GMartin58

Re: 66 Hornet playing cards backer art recreation

Post by GMartin58 »

Cripes, man! You continue to impress. Wonderful. I'll be looking for a deck of cards so you'll be hearing from me!!
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

WOW ! Incredible job. Very, Very, nicely done. Lets us know if you post them, would love to have the backer card for my set. :D
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I know I already told you this earlier, but it bears repeating here too, gorgeous job on this!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Always makes me laugh! I think you just need to open yourself up a business selling these things online and to comic and collectibles shops. Have your own brand: Retro Randy
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

You drew a Royal Flush on this one! Outstanding once again. The deck of cards is easy to obtain, however the carded ones are very rare. I've had this image since 2014 and not sure you did this on purpose or not to be real world accurate, but you made the deck 54 cards (maybe to differentiate it as a reprint, very smart if intentional!) which it is as it contains 2 jokers, but the vintage card states 52.
Attachments
GHPlayingCards.jpg
GHPlayingCards.jpg (169.69 KiB) Viewed 959 times
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 pm you made the deck 54 cards (maybe to differentiate it as a reprint, very smart if intentional!) which it is as it contains 2 jokers, but the vintage card states 52.
Nope, I made a mistake there. I used this image from the Man from Uncle cards from the same company to help make mine and it stated 54 cards. I can always count on your eagle eye Pennyworth for quality control! I did catch other slight differences between the cards and went with the Hornet design. BTW, with a little more effort, I could modify my art to create this M.F.U. card too.

You did bring up something Pennyworth that I haven't had to think about on my other props, should I add something or in this case, leave my mistake to differentiate my recreation from an original card? I make them as accurate as possible but of course I'm not trying to fool someone for financial gain.
Interesting question.

I appreciate all the comments & support my friends! I don't actually play with my cards or many of my toys but recreating card art & such gives me a good reason to pick up something like these cards and spend some time really looking at them. I love doing that!
On to the next thing! :D
Attachments
ManFromUNCLE_23.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

rsaffle wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:26 am I have a couple sets of the Hornet playing cards from 66 like several of you probably do. I had never seen the original packaging until this week. Apparently it is pretty rare and I only found 2 images online. One in an article about the cards and a better image from a recent auction.

I love the packaging and art from most toys so I set off to recreate the backer card art. I created it as accurate as possible, even created each letter one at a time and simulated the color dot printing style. I scanned in the Hornet image from one of my cards. I printed it all out and glued it to cardstock and covered the face with clear vinyl. The original card was shrink wrapped and attached but I am planning in buying a clear mylar deck holder and attach that so I can still play with my cards but have the look. I'm thinking about offering them on Ebay once I get the covers in. It looks pretty sweet!
Amazing work and attention to period packaging details. You create so many Dozier-verse items no company currently producing '66 items would touch, and end up cranking out things that are not too good (e.g., the Hot Wheels Batmobile with the oversized, modern tires, etc.).
Beneath Wayne Manor
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Okay, big MFU fan.

Randy, you might want to consider adding some small, but hidden, mark so that others won’t rip off your hard work and creativity to profit off of it. If it’s visible, they will simply remove it.

For example, you could add a small extra crack in the bulletproof glass on the MFU.