Green Hornet golf balls: any connection to the character?

The Green Hornet TV series and related topics

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BiffPow

Green Hornet golf balls: any connection to the character?

Post by BiffPow »

Question about the vintage 1950s Green Hornet undersized golf balls from the UK: Does anyone know if the name derived from the character?
Attachments
IMG_9437.jpeg
IMG_9436.jpeg
IMG_9435.jpeg
Ben Bentley

Re: Green Hornet golf balls: any connection to the character?

Post by Ben Bentley »

From what I can tell they seem to be from the 1950s, so I think that the odds are it’s totally unrelated.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

I didn’t mean the TV show, Ben. I meant the character in general.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

This is what I've found. I think the balls were originally from the UK but not confirmed...

"The Green Hornet golf ball refers to a specific golf ball used by President Gerald Ford. The history of this particular golf ball is intertwined with an amusing incident that occurred during President Ford's tenure.

President Gerald Ford, who served as the 38th President of the United States from 1974 to 1977, was known for his love of golf. However, he was also infamously known for his occasional errant golf shots. The story of the Green Hornet golf ball comes from one such incident.

During a Pro-Am golf tournament before the 1973 Ryder Cup at Muirfield in Scotland, President Ford hit a wayward tee shot that struck a spectator. That spectator was none other than James W. Cochrane, a World War II veteran. As a gesture of apology, President Ford gave Cochrane a golf ball that was marked with the presidential seal and nicknamed "the Green Hornet." This nickname was inspired by the color of the golf ball and perhaps also carried a nod to the popular radio and television series "The Green Hornet," which featured a crime-fighting hero.

The incident and the subsequent gifting of the Green Hornet golf ball became a humorous anecdote in Presidential and golfing lore. It highlighted President Ford's good-natured approach to his golfing mishaps and his ability to connect with people even in less-than-ideal circumstances.

Over the years, the story of the Green Hornet golf ball has been recounted in various books, interviews, and golf lore, serving as a reminder of President Ford's personality and his time in office. It's worth noting that while President Ford's golf game might not have been perfect, his love for the sport and his humorous handling of situations like the Green Hornet incident endeared him to many."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I've come across these over the years at various golf outings. I don't think there is any connection to what would have in the 50s be a former radio show hero.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

All very interesting. In addition to the radio show, the Green Hornet was popular in other media by the 1950s (movie serials, comic books and even Big Little Books). I just thought maybe the manufacturer was a fan of the character. Appreciate all the input. Thanks guys.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

BiffPow wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:21 am I didn’t mean the TV show, Ben. I meant the character in general.
That’s what I was getting at, pre-Dozier, (as Andy mentioned a little more specifically), the odds of a merchandising reference to pulp radio hero were very low.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

OK, I guess that makes sense. I was just so used to all the radio and other comic book character premiums/giveaways and toys that grew out of the 1930s and 40s that I just envisioned there would be some product merchandising from the Green Hornet. But, unlike Superman, Little Orphan Annie, Lone Ranger, the Shadow, Dick Tracy, Captain America and a host of other radio shows and comic characters coming from that period, I suppose the Green Hornet wasn’t popular enough to even merit a golf ball! 🤣

Thanks, Ben. I get it. Just surprised that there was no merchandising of the character whatsoever outside of the published media - especially since Stryker’s the Lone Ranger was able to garner all sorts of merchandising.
GMartin58

Post by GMartin58 »

BiffPow wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:05 pm OK, I guess that makes sense. I was just so used to all the radio and other comic book character premiums/giveaways and toys that grew out of the 1930s and 40s that I just envisioned there would be some product merchandising from the Green Hornet. But, unlike Superman, Little Orphan Annie, Lone Ranger, the Shadow, Dick Tracy, Captain America and a host of other radio shows and comic characters coming from that period, I suppose the Green Hornet wasn’t popular enough to even merit a golf ball! 🤣

Thanks, Ben. I get it. Just surprised that there was no merchandising of the character whatsoever outside of the published media - especially since Stryker’s the Lone Ranger was able to garner all sorts of merchandising.
BiffPow...according to Martin Grams & Terry Salomonson's book...there were radio premiums that were developed by some of the sponsors but I think most were ephemera...not meant to last.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'd say the Green Hornet had his fair share of memorabilia-- the show was extremely popular, and except for Superman, Captain Midnight, Little Orphan Annie and The Shadow I'd say he had some of the coolest items including a secret compartment ring-- a photo postcard of Brit Reid "autographed" -- and as you said he was popular enough to get TWO serials in a one year span.

The radio show ran 1936-1952 which is a very healthy run.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Outside of the character, I had never heard of a green hornet. Seeing the golf balls made me think that somebody must’ve been a fan of the character. I didn’t really think of it as merchandising for the character so much as an homage. It’s just such a distinct name. I don’t know why else anyone would think of a “green hornet.”

Oh well.

Wow, that is a long run for the radio show. I know Dell comics even picked up the Green Hornet in the 1950s.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Well, a green is a pretty common term in Golf--it's the area surrounding the hole which you aim for-- and a Hornet is a super fast ball-- so it actually does make a lot of sense when you think about it.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:28 am Well, a green is a pretty common term in Golf--it's the area surrounding the hole which you aim for-- and a Hornet is a super fast ball-- so it actually does make a lot of sense when you think about it.
The Military also adopted the term during World War2, One of their most famous Bombers was "The Green Hornet". They also had several other bombers and fighters named "Green Hornet" and continue to adopt the term to this day. Green-Hornet; (military, informal) In the Vietnam War, a member of the US Air Force's 20th Special Operations Squadron, who used the Bell UH-1F variant of the "Huey" military helicopter.
More on the WWII Bombers here: PDF File on Green Hornet Bomber: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAr
And Lets not forget the Green Hornet Hot Rod.
WWII Bombers
WWII Bombers
[/b]
Green-Hornet_HotRod.jpg
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

OK, very interesting discussions