SCRIPT: "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

SCRIPT: "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes"

Post by bat-rss »

It's time for another script discussion on TO THE BATPOLES! podcast. Here are three different versions of Bill Finger and Charles Sinclair's "Clock King" script that we'll be discussing in our April episode. Probably to be recorded in late March. Share your thoughts about these earlier versions and we may quote you on the show.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Jim Akin

Re: SCRIPT: "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes"

Post by Jim Akin »

I'm excited for this one, but it looks like there's an access issue on the script files. Maybe permissions need to be changed to make them downloadable by anyone?
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yes, my Gmail inbox was full of requests this morning! I've reset the files to be accessible to anyone, so should be OK now. If you still run into issues, let me know.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

The final draft is opening an error page.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Kamdan, I'm not sure why that would be the case. It's set to "Anyone who has the link", and the link is working on both my Mac and my phone...
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Is the final draft link working for the rest of you?
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

If you can't download the Final Draft, try this link instead:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf111peqtqerj ... t.pdf?dl=0
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

All set! Thanks!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

We're scheduled to record our discussion of this script on the morning of April 2, 2024, so please make your comments by April 1!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

A few thoughts:

Aunt Harriet was a big part of the action in the first draft, uncharacteristically having more to do than Alfred. I like the idea of that, but I can see why the Greenway brass scrapped those sequences:
  • Her judo throw in the teaser does seem like a stretch, but it would have been hilarious.
  • Her car crash at the Wayne Manor gates in part 2—and the tease that it might have been fatal— seems a shade too dark. If the sequence hadn't been so impractical to shoot (read: expensive), I think they likely would've dialed back the extent of her injuries, so that she'd have been conscious but rattled behind the wheel.
The episode of Clock King shunning Gregory the tardy "Minute Man" was fun character development but nothing more, so I'm not surprised it was scrapped. It's interesting, however, in light of the later revision concerning Second Hand Three's confusion over the atomic energy directional control switch. Clock King as conceived in the first draft wouldn't have been so forgiving of the error.

It surprised me that the original target of the theft at Wayne Manor was Paul Revere silver and not pocket watches, which fit CK's m.o. so much better. I suppose Revere fit in with the original "Minute Men" motif (and, as a renowned silverSMITH, Revere even could have served as a fun red herring), but the silver remained in the Final Draft, even after the Minute Men were renamed Second Hands. In any case, the switch to watches in the revised final was a good call.

The addition of the Thelma Thymepiece angle, also in the final revision, was another definite improvement. Making the visit to the drive-in part of the Duo's legwork, rather than a coincidental stop-off, was a good choice. I suppose the original name of the establishment, "Howie's," was a sop to Horwitz. I can see why he might have asked for it to be changed, but I wonder where the new name "Dunbar's" came from.

I have a hunch Walter Slezak must have been cast between the initial draft and the first final, since Clock King gains a Teutonic penchant for calling his henchmen "dummkopfs" in the revision.

For the tag scene, I love the idea of Alfred replacing figures in the Wayne Manor clock with statuettes of Batman and Robin. That would have been fun if the actual prop had had mechanical figures. Probably much too complicated to execute on budget, but fun nonetheless.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Well said, Jim! Also note that, like with Robin and Leo in "Better Luck Next Time", in the final edit the clonks over the head get replaced by sleeping gas.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

chrisbcritter wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:31 pm Well said, Jim! Also note that, like with Robin and Leo in "Better Luck Next Time", in the final edit the clonks over the head get replaced by sleeping gas.
Yes, and I definitely have something to say about that when we record the episode!