Batman: Caped Crusader first look photos

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Re: Batman: Caped Crusader first look photos

Post by AndyFish »

Also in the Stanwyck fan club-- big Film Noir fan.
Loved the Fleischer Superman's-- don't like JJ Abrams at all-- Bruce Timm was the visual guide but Paul Dini understood the characters.
Like Randy, I'm a big comic guy but don't love animated comic adaptions very much. Fleischer is probably the ONLY one I'd get in line for-- and those 1966 Marvel Cartoons? Hands down the best interpretation of the comics EVER done. Loved them then, love them now.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I will say I do think Paul Dini played a much bigger role in the success of BTAS than most people give him credit for. I mean, just look at some of the stuff Bruce Timm's done on his own without Dini's input, like the Batman & Harley Quinn or The Killing Joke animated movies. Talk about yikes...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I agree with Andy and Matt. Timm might have been instrumental in putting the animated production together, but it was Dini who made it work with his vast and appreciative knowledge of the lore. Without Dini, Timm's stuff is a disaster.

"It was Dini! He waz da brains a da outfit!" :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Going back to Miss Stanwyck, she would have made an absolutely wicked Selina Kyle back in the day. :shock:

https://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos ... 67-800.jpg

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/v2/resi ... xnEMA.jpeg
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

vintagematt wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:40 pm I will say I do think Paul Dini played a much bigger role in the success of BTAS than most people give him credit for. I mean, just look at some of the stuff Bruce Timm's done on his own without Dini's input, like the Batman & Harley Quinn or The Killing Joke animated movies. Talk about yikes...
100% agreed, Paul is a crucial ingredient in that very special BTAS receipe.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Yellow Oval wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:50 am Going back to Miss Stanwyck, she would have made an absolutely wicked Selina Kyle back in the day. :shock:

https://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos ... 67-800.jpg

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/v2/resi ... xnEMA.jpeg
It's really nice to see that 'Missy' has so many fans on this forum. She's always been one of my favorites.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I grew up on reruns of "The Big Valley" where Miss Stanwyck had already progressed to "mother" roles, so as a kid I regarded her as strictly the "old lady" type. :o At some point my grandfather mentioned one of his neighbors had a photo of Barbara hanging in his living room (ca. 1975 or so), and that was presented as a humorous thing, maybe because it was considered "weird" to hang any celebrity photos in your living room or maybe because it was Stanwyck of all people that this guy had chosen, but I laughed with everyone else because I figured why fetishize a matronly actress? She might as well have been Shirley Booth or Margaret Rutherford as far as young Me was concerned.

Years later I saw a much younger Barbara Stanwyck in "Remember the Night" with Fred MacMurray and fell hard. What a dish! From there I went down a rabbit hole of Stanwyck films and became a big fan. She was the full package; beautiful, talented, brilliant; for my money, a bigger talent than Bette Davis, who seems to get all the love from critics.

And of course now that I'm getting long in the tooth myself, I even think she's hot in "The Big Valley." :lol:
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

AndyFish wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:51 amLoved the Fleischer Superman's--
Best Ameme I've seen, despite the wartime racism. First ep is amazing along with the "Godzilla" episode and the mechanical monsters.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!