World's Finest Dance Party, an art piece by Steven Butler

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Mr. Comic Book

World's Finest Dance Party, an art piece by Steven Butler

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

I actually got this back in December, but for whatever reason never thought to share it here. So if you'll indulge me, I'd like to rectify that now.

Steven Butler is an artist whose credits include Web of Spider-Man (the first half of the 1990s "Clone Saga"), Ultraforce, Silver Sable, Archie, various Christian comics, and a current gig reviving old Golden Age characters with Gallant Comics. He's also, sadly, an artist who fell thru the cracks with the major publishers and never got the recognition he deserved from fans. I had the honor of getting a Superman/Flash Gordon team-up commission from him back in 2007, so a return engagement was well overdue.

This is the end result. The feel I wanted for this was sort of Dancing with the Stars: Superhero Edition, with Batman and Superman jumping and jiving away with their respective lady loves:

As with Tom Grummett earlier last year, this was Butler's first time drawing the Julie Newmar version of Selina. He had a good time drawing her, and he expressed an interest in working on the DC Batman '66 stuff, but time will tell if he ever gets that chance. In the meantime, what emerged from our transaction is another showcase of his considerable talent, and one of the most fun illustrations in my art collection.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Waterratt

Re: World's Finest Dance Party, an art piece by Steven Butle

Post by Waterratt »

That is great, I love it!!
Mr. Comic Book

Re: World's Finest Dance Party, an art piece by Steven Butle

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

Waterratt wrote:That is great, I love it!!
It should probably be mentioned that Catwoman ended up being the showstopper of the piece. Other people who've seen this art -- comic book pros and fans alike -- immediately gravitate to Selina because of all the detail Butler lavished on her. And I'd be lying if I said my eyes didn't constantly veer in her direction for that very reason.

If you ever have the chance to check out the photos section on Butler's Facebook page, please do so. He does a killer Dick Sprang Batman:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steven-B ... 8514741400