I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

User avatar
High C
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by High C » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Bob Furmanek wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 pm
Gorshin 10.1.65.JPG
Interesting that Stephen Kandel was involved. Obviously this didn't sell.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17

User avatar
Mark Racop
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by Mark Racop » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:40 pm

This is a fascinating topic. I've wondered the same, but thought about it from a more practical standpoint: maybe the makeup shop wasn't ready for Joker's white face and green hair, or the Penguin's nose? Maybe Cesar and Burgess weren't available for the pilot shooting dates? Maybe the prop department needed more time to make the giant umbrella. As far as it being a gamble to use Gorshin, I certainly agree that it was, but I'm so thrilled that we all get to enjoy the payoff.

User avatar
Bob Furmanek
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by Bob Furmanek » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Gorshin was hot in 1965.

In addition to his very popular nightclub work and variety show guest spots, his dramatic role on COMBAT was well received, he was in talks to open on Broadway in Jerome Robbins' The Office and he did a western with Chuck Connors, "Ride Beyond Vengeance."

And he bought a mansion in Bel Air!

User avatar
epaddon
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:09 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by epaddon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks for filling in some more background, Bob. It certainly helps broaden my understanding of where Gorshin stood at that point though if there wasn't in Dozier's mind a perceived risk, then there shouldn't have been a need for casting a henchmoll who was unquestionably a bigger name than Gorshin at the time.

User avatar
High C
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by High C » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Bob Furmanek wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 pm
Gorshin was hot in 1965.

In addition to his very popular nightclub work and variety show guest spots, his dramatic role on COMBAT was well received, he was in talks to open on Broadway in Jerome Robbins' The Office and he did a western with Chuck Connors, "Ride Beyond Vengeance."

And he bought a mansion in Bel Air!
Based on your research, Bob, I'd say Gorshin was just on the verge of breaking out as a star, and Batman pushed him over the top. But he wasn't quite there when Dozier signed him, so that's why Dozier hedged his bet by casting Jill St. John and giving her top billing ahead of Gorshin.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17

User avatar
Bob Furmanek
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by Bob Furmanek » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am

I'd say Gorshin was already a name in 1965. He was playing the top clubs and before Batman aired, he had signed for his 11th Ed Sullivan appearance. Besides, you don't buy a Bel Air mansion without some money in the pocket.

He was the bigger TV name and she was the bigger movie name. Dozier simply covered both bases.

User avatar
High C
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by High C » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:18 am

Bob Furmanek wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am
I'd say Gorshin was already a name in 1965. He was playing the top clubs and before Batman aired, he had signed for his 11th Ed Sullivan appearance. Besides, you don't buy a Bel Air mansion without some money in the pocket.

He was the bigger TV name and she was the bigger movie name. Dozier simply covered both bases.
I respect your opinion as much or more than anyone's but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Bob. Thanks for your input.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17

User avatar
dell
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:12 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by dell » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Better to cover as many bases as you can with the pilot. The Batman character is a draw for the kids, Jill St John is a good draw for the guys (I don't know if they made a big deal out of who would be in the episode), and Frank Gorshin is a good draw for those people familiar with his other work. A well balanced cast for a show that was very edgy for 1966.
dell

User avatar
Dr. Shimel
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:14 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by Dr. Shimel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Bob Furmanek wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am
I'd say Gorshin was already a name in 1965...he had signed for his 11th Ed Sullivan appearance.
One of his Ed Sullivan appearances delivered a huge audience. Of course, that Feb. 9, 1964 appearance also had some up-and-coming group from Liverpool on it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
dell
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:12 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by dell » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 am

Dr. Shimel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:31 pm
Bob Furmanek wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am
I'd say Gorshin was already a name in 1965...he had signed for his 11th Ed Sullivan appearance.
One of his Ed Sullivan appearances delivered a huge audience. Of course, that Feb. 9, 1964 appearance also had some up-and-coming group from Liverpool on it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chad and Jeremy???
dell

User avatar
Dan E Kool
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:08 am

Re: I think Dozier rolled the dice with Gorshin

Post by Dan E Kool » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:38 am

Perhaps Gorshin wasn't as big a name with a wider audience as Burgess Meredith, but maybe he was hot with the audience that Dozier was looking for? A younger, hipper audience?
- Boy Genius

Post Reply