Twilight actor may be next screen Batman

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

Twilight actor may be next screen Batman

Post by gothosmansion » Fri May 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Let's hope since this isn't a "done deal" it doesn't get to be one and this falls through. I hate to be "that guy" and, in most cases, think everyone should be given a chance...This time, I think I'm going to have to be "that guy."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robe ... 203125473/

Yellow Oval

Re: Twilight actor may be next screen Batman

Post by Yellow Oval » Fri May 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Gothosmansion,

I think everybody here knows I am "that guy" when it comes to DC Comics and Warners nowadays. I gotta say this one really takes the cake. Why even bother paying for their current shows and movies when it seems their business decisions are free entertainment now? When I read the announcement a few minutes ago over in Variety I couldn't stop laughing. This is some of the most hysterical stuff I've read in a while! :lol:

I wonder what Julius Schwartz (legendary DC editor) and Jack Warner (famed studio head) would say if they could see what their companies turned into? :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

rajung

Post by rajung » Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm

And then you wonder how Marvel cleans house and continuously stomps DC and Batman out.

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Sat May 18, 2019 3:32 am

What I find odd is that on a 66 Batman board, this subject gets replies and a post about an Adam West tribute:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6991

Has none? :shock:
Music. BAT! Music.

Kamdan

Post by Kamdan » Sat May 18, 2019 5:02 am

It seems that we’ve hit a point where actors are seeing that taking on the role of Batman is more trouble than its worth. There have been so many iterations of the character, namely the dark and serous approach, that’s there’s nothing new for them to contribute other than just being the next person to wear the suit. Thus they go with have a guy like Pattinson who’s desperate to shake off the image that made him a household name. I am frankly tired of the dark and serious approach to the character. It would be fun to see them try something different, but it’s hard for Warners to break formula for their apparent number one franchise.

Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval » Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 am

Kamden,

I agree. Batman has gone completely off the rails - comics, movies, you name it. As much as I enjoyed them, I have to say it all started with the Burton films as Tim Burton was allowed way too much leeway in changing the character to what HE WANTED. All the interviews back then showed a real narcissism with Burton constantly saying "I wanted him to be..." or "I thought that he should be more like..." It was all what he wanted and it's been like that ever since and getting worse - especially in the DC TV and screen properties. Marvel hasn't been as bad and it has worked out well for them - at least for their Avengers franchise. Some would argue not so much for Star Wars, but that's for another time in another galaxy far, far away.

John,

I suppose it's a bit of a tribute renaming the school after Adam, but it seems more like a dig at James Woods than anything else. Than again, what do I know? I haven't watched Family Guy since season 2 when they decided to go the vulgarity route instead of comedy. As an aside, my brother worked as an extra on a James Woods film and met him. Said he was a really great and funny guy, quite down to earth, and very, very smart and witty.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

John Mack

Post by John Mack » Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 am

So then Y.O. write that on thread...??

Thought it was a nice episode and good tribute to Adam throughout.....only slam to Woods was 10 seconds of Brian...

Great ending theme, anyway...discuss this on the thread....I give up!
Music. BAT! Music.

TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:14 pm

I can see him working out well. A good story, script, director, and design and we could have a much better version than we’ve had in decades.

This isn’t any different than the blowback when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman or when Daniel Craig was cast as 007. They haven’t even shot a single frame of film and people are already claiming “well, that’s the end of the franchise”. All of it based on a role he played 11 years ago. Now we have people hoping it fails before it even gets started. ??
No more will they jeer and scoff, I'll cut their circulation off.

gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion » Sun May 19, 2019 6:05 am

I don't want it to fail. I just have my doubts about him. Batman is my favorite fictional character, so I want to be able to enjoy any iteration of him.

I mentioned this on another board, but he may surprise me. The example I used there, and I'll use here, is the 70s Legend of Lizzie Borden movie. Being mostly familiar with Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched, I didn't expect her to be so eerie and unnerving. However, she was brilliant.

I hope Pattinson is great.